Help

Third Grade

Procedures

>

teachgrade3

Procedures
Old 11-30-2016, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How does everyone give out pencils. This year I had pencils with decorations so I was going to use that as my pencils so they know they are mine but they don't seem to be giving them back so any suggestions? Thanks.

teachgrade3 is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

Pencils
Old 11-30-2016, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The decorative pencils are just for you to use, but they can borrow them? Or are they using them when they work with you and inadvertently take them back their desks?
I have really neat silver pencils that are just for me. I let my kiddos know that they are only for me and if they see that a friend has one, they should remind them to return it to me. I would say you need to remind them that those are your pencils. I also only keep 2 or 3 out and about at a time.
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Leave a Shoe
Old 12-01-2016, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When a child borrows one of my pencils, he/she must leave a shoe by my desk.

When the pencil is returned, the child gets the shoe back.

This usually only happens once. The child brings pencils to school the next day.

I also have a lost pencil can. When a pencil is found on the floor, I sharpen it and put it in the can. Students know anyone can use these pencils without returning the pencil.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 12-01-2016, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We do community supplies and they can donate pencils to the class. Any pencils they donate are put in the supply cabinet. I keep 8 pencils at their desks. If they are not sharpened they put the dull pencil in a cup and take a sharp pencil from a different cup.

This way I don't have to worry about who "borrowed" a pencil and who needs to return a pencil, etc. They are all "our" supplies.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 12-02-2016, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I began following the Pencil Wars program (free on TpT) about 2 years ago, and it's been working pretty well for me. I don't often have pencil issues.

beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

acannonnw

Pencil War
Old 12-20-2016, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just started the week after Thanksgiving. I bought pencils (the Ticonderoga ones...you know, the GOOD kind!) and went through 60 in a week...so, I found on Teachers Pay Teachers, this idea about the pencil war (I think that's just what she titled it!) Here's what you do:

You get everyone a zippered pencil pouch ..I didn't have the money to invest in that so, I put decorative duck tape on three sides of a gallon ziploc bag. In the bag, you put 8 sharpened pencils, a cap eraser, and one of those big pink erasers. You put their name on the bag. Hand out the bag on Monday and tell them that these are their pencils for the week and that you will collect the bag and everything in it on Friday. If on Friday, they have all 8 and the 2 erasers and the pencils are not broken/chewed on( other than the lead out), on Monday they will recieve a re-sharpened bag of pencils and a treat. If not, they get 8 sharp pencils and no treat. if the whole class gets a treat, they get double. (the treat being a starburst or other small something..a sticker, tatoo, decorative pencil, etc)

I've been doing this for two weeks and so far, the whole class has had sharpened pencils all week (I also tell them that I will not hear any arguments over pencils. If I find any pencils on the floor, I put them in a cup on my desk and at the end of the day or week, they come and use those if they are short. I take them home and my 8yr old sharpens them for me. Target had a box of 60? that were already sharpened so we've been using those.

To me...this is totally worth any little treat I have to buy...because, when we are ready to start any lesson, there is no "but I don't have a pencil" or "can I sharpen my pencil"

Hope this helps....
acannonnw is offline   Reply With Quote