Help

Special Education

Demo Lesson...Help!!!

>

lissylu012

Demo Lesson...Help!!!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a demo lesson coming up for a class of students aged 5-7 years with classifications of Autism/Speech and language disabilities. I'd like a simple, yet effective, 20 minute smartboard lesson. I don't know any of the children's names or their abilities. My plan was (in order to learn the students names and gauge their ability) was to have them say their name, come up to the board and write their name, myself and the rest of the students would clap out the syllables of their name. We would reconvene at the end and graph the numbers of syllables. Could somebody help me with this? Is it too easy, hard, irrelevant? I'd appreciate any feedback...

lissylu012 is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Honest feedback
Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not trying to be cruel, just honest. I would not do that lesson because you aren't sure what the student's levels are intellectually and physically. Many of my students with Autism have fine motor issues and aren't able to write their name at 7.
I would pick an easier task and integrate visuals. So maybe choosing their favorite weather, then graphing the results. You could do it all on the Smartbaord but make sure you offer choices verbally and paired with pictures. The lesson could include any staff there if you need more to graph. Then discuss which has more/less/same. If you need to extend the lesson then discuss what clothes you would wear for each type of weather. Again, use visuals!
momteachsis is online now   Reply With Quote