Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Mono.....ugh!

>

GottaLoveKids

Mono.....ugh!
Old 06-24-2018, 05:49 AM

My DS16 has been sick since last week (white spots on tonsils, VERY tired, general malaise, low grade fever.) Took him to urgent care yesterday and found out he has MONO!! I'm so sad for him! His summer was just starting, he has a job he loves working with kids at a day camp, he loves to lift weights, ride his bike, very active, etc. This is a real bummer for him! The doctor said it can take several months for his normal energy to return. Several months!!! Poor guy! Anyone here have experience with mono or any advice you can offer? I'd really appreciate it because my mom heart is breaking for him! Thank you!!!
p.s. I know there are MUCH worse diagnosis than mono and I'm thankful that he is a generally healthy kiddo. Not trying to sound like I'm having a pity party.

GottaLoveKids is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-24-2018, 05:57 AM

Poor guy! No experience or advice to offer; hopefully some others do. Praying for a speedier recovery than anticipated!
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

JulieG04

Fingers crossed for DS!
Old 06-24-2018, 06:08 AM

My DD had her first ever bout with mono last August (right before school started). Her symptoms were similar, she started with what appeared to be strep throat/tonsillitis, but the lack of appetite and super low energy were scary.

Now, DD did not take months to recover, thank goodness. By our estimation, she had mono for about 2 weeks before she was diagnosed, and her worst symptoms persisted for about 7-10 days after her diagnosis. She was anxious to go to school (she missed the first week of her senior year) and was able to go back just 5 days after her diagnosis. It did take a little longer for her appetite and energy to return to 100% normal, but she was able to function and get things done during that period. Honestly, I think she felt better once she knew why she had so many symptoms.

Hope your DS has a "quick" recovery!
JulieG04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

So sorry
Old 06-24-2018, 06:22 AM

I had it as a teen and it was utterly miserable. He has my sympathy. My throat was so sore I couldn't swallow liquid. Lost 35 lbs.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 06-24-2018, 06:27 AM

Oh, that has to be tough for your son-especially if he is used to being very active. I think every situation is different. It might take a while for him to feel back to his normal self, but it doesn't mean that he will not be able to do anything for months. He knows his body and will need to listen to it. He will tire easily and will need to give his body the rest it needs.
I had mono, but it was years ago. I had thought it was strep, on top of being run down because I was teaching full-time and planning our out-of-state wedding. I was diagnosed two weeks before my wedding. We didn't cancel our wedding. I think the adrenaline and excitement helped me through the day. We didn't go on a honeymoon. I had that week off and then I went back to work. I felt much better by then. I did get tired more easily, but I think knowing what I had helped like PP said. I can't remember all the details, but I remember having an ache under my rib cage. I think sometimes your spleen enlarges and they have to keep an eye on that.

We just had a kindergarten student get diagnosed with mono. He missed about two weeks of school. When he came back, he seemed to be his old self. His teacher kept an eye on him and had him sit out of some activities if he seemed to be tired.

I hope your son is feeling better soon.

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-24-2018, 06:46 AM

I had mono one year at the end of the school year. I don't know when it started, but you know you don't have time to be sick. I pushed through it, but finally ended up going to the doctor as I had never been so tired!

I hope your son can still get around and so some short activities. Summer is bad, but during school would be worse. At least he can make the time to rest. Of course, for him it is probably the worst timing ever... Good luck to both of you!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

annalilbit

Old 06-24-2018, 06:52 AM

Son had it at the end of his junior year of college. He was so sick. High temp. He missed his senior year of college soccer. Inactive player.

I hope your son's recovery is quick.

Last edited by annalilbit; 06-24-2018 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: added info
annalilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 06-24-2018, 07:02 AM

My son had mono during finals week in his first year at college while away. He had to come home and rest but it was only llike 3 weeks. Maybe it won't be as bad as they drs are saying.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 06-24-2018, 07:04 AM

I know you feel bad and I’m sorry for your ds. I had it years ago my freshman year of college. I did not go to the doctor for several weeks of being sick with the same symptoms as your ds. When I did finally go, I was anemic and my spleen was affected. I had to drop the spring semester and rest for a month. No going out, working or being near anyone. I didn’t eat much in the beginning and lost a lot of weight which made me more tired and weak. Make sure he eats. It was two months when I could go back to work 10 to 15 hours a week. Let him rest for a few weeks and take it from there. It’s not fun, but it could get worse. It took the two months for me to feel normal. Don’t let him lift weights or do any physical activity until the doctor says he can. It’s better now than during the school year. It will probably be for only a few weeks. I had to go for tests every month for a year because of being anemic and my spleen. It turned out fine in the end. Follow the doctor’s orders and have him rest. Hang in there.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

I did
Old 06-24-2018, 07:08 AM

Now mind you, this was 1971. I had to come home from college for two weeks. Then, I was back to normal. However, as soon as I felt ill, I went to the dr. Maybe that accounts for the quick bounce back.

How your son feels back to normal soon.

Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-24-2018, 06:48 PM

No advice, but poor kid! I hope the recovery is much quicker than what the doctor is estimating it to be!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

GottaLoveKids

Old 06-25-2018, 05:48 AM

Thank you everyone!! I appreciate all the feedback and kind words!!! I guess I will just switch from my 'teacher' hat to 'nurse' hat for the summer.

Have a great week, PT friends!!!!
GottaLoveKids is offline   Reply With Quote