The VENT

Dear Preschool Teachers

>

PollyCarp

Dear Preschool Teachers
Old 07-16-2018, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Dear Preschool teachers,
I taught six preschoolers for 2.5 hours this morning.
HOW ON EARTH DO YOU DO THIS ALL YEAR???
Much love and coffee,
Exhausted 2nd-grade teacher

PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-16-2018, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As an intermediate and middle school teacher, Iíve said the exact same thing about primary teachers!
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

DeDee76

Teaching is a calling
Old 07-16-2018, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a high school teacher. I have always been amazed by all of you elementary teachers who are responsible for setting the foundation for my students. I think it's ironic when I talk to elementary teachers who could not imagine being in a Jr or sr high. God bless us all
DeDee76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-16-2018, 10:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iím secondary certified, but my first year out of college I subbed K-12. Typically I subbed high school and middle school because most subs hated those. I did two days of kindergarten. Lord. Have. Mercy.

I had those same kids as 7th graders, and I liked them much better. They even remembered me subbing. They said I didnít read the stories right because I didnít change my voice for characters.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
They said I didnít read the stories right because I didnít change my voice for characters.

So cute.

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-16-2018, 11:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did it for 10 years.

You do it with a lot of energy, and an ever present sense of humor, creativity, and an appreciation for the wonder and excitement in their eyes. Everything is amazing and delightful to them. The whole world is like a present unwrapping itself a little more each day. The unconditional acceptance and care that they give to you gives you the wherewithal to keep getting back up again.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

JDprek

Old 07-17-2018, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I taught pre-K for nearly 15 years. There were a lot of reasons I left including the fact that I was simply getting too old to handle a class full of little ones. Itís a tough job. Now Iím an MSW and I get to sit in my rocking chair and talk instead.
JDprek is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Preschool
Old 07-17-2018, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I began my teaching career in preschool with the two year olds. Oh, boy! So much energy in those little bodies and a teacher had to be aware of behavior at all times to prevent hitting, pushing, and biting.

I later worked with the three years olds before getting my teaching credential. I liked preschool but I could not make a decent living so I moved to elementary grades.

Every grade level has its challenges, but the younger children seem to tire a teacher quicker than other grade levels. I think upper elementary grades 6-8 are mentally more challenging.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

readnteach13

Pre-K
Old 07-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I taught pre-k for 6 years, but now that I’m a substitute for upper elementary, pre-k seems so hard! I loved their sweetness and innocence. It takes a LOT of patience and energy. However, I do not miss wiping any body parts . I also love seeing my former students in upper elementary now!

Last edited by readnteach13; 07-17-2018 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Grammar
readnteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Everyone has their little nitch
Old 07-17-2018, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I loved, loved, loved preschool. I was an early childhood educator and would have spent my entire career with the 3-5 year olds. However, I did a little more than 6 years in a private preschool and my DH referred to may salary as my allowance. Yes, it was that little and no benefits. So, I went to public school so we could save money for our kids college education. I did really like first and second grades, but nothing beat the preschool experience.

chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-18-2018, 02:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have taught 4th grade forever and one of our kindergarten teachers has been in her grade forever. We both agree there is no way we would want to switch jobs haha. I understand my side of it but I can't for the life of me see hers!
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-18-2018, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I could not do it. I talk to the kinder and pre k kids on duty and they act like they don't even know what I'm saying. I'll take my 5th graders with attitude any day. I know they're sweet but I just don't have the patience.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Newto3s

Newto3s

Old 07-18-2018, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I taught four year olds for eight years and loved it. I was moved to three year olds and HATED it. Now, I'm back to fours and do enjoy it. Now, that I'm getting older I don't know if I want to be a prek teacher forever. This September I will be moving to an admin role. I'm hoping I won't regret it, but there's been some changes in my life and I don't think I can teach four year olds forever. I think, and I've said it before, being a prek teacher is a young person's game.

jcbsmom

Pre School
Old 07-18-2018, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My DD is a pre school teacher/director. A number of years ago I went to school with her while I was on Easter Vacation. One little one ran up to me, grabbed me around the hips and shouted, "Grandma!" I had a friend all day. At one point two four year olds began arguing. Being an elementary teacher I tried talking to them to no avail. I finally looked at Catherine and said, "Uh, this one's biting that one." To which she commented, "Well mom. Do something!" That was it for me. I want my students a little older!
jcbsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
I talk to the kinder and pre k kids on duty and they act like they don't even know what I'm saying.
I’m the opposite. I talk to kindergartners and I have no idea what THEY are saying. I just smile and nod and occasionally say, “oh my!” when it looks like they’re expecting a response.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 07-19-2018, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I taught t-k and they let in beginning 4's as well as late 4's. I had 28 students and no aide for the first 3 months. It was an all day program. The "classroom" was about 1/3 of a regular classroom. Needless to say I felt so inadequate for the first time in my education career. I ended up loving it but it was an enormous challenge to get to the point where I truly felt I had a handle on so many 4 year olds. Now they limit the class to 18 with 1-2 aides.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 07-19-2018, 11:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'm retired and taught Early Childhood Special Education for over twenty years. Best job ever. Love, Love, Love Little Ones. Although after retiring I gained a bit of weight, I wonder why! I used to tell my husband, I didn't need to exercise since I was on my feet / busy all day. I was right!
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote