Really????? Is your principal caring and trustworthy? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Really????? Is your principal caring and trustworthy?

>

BoredCoTeach

BoredCoTeach

Really????? Is your principal caring and trustworthy?
Old 09-23-2019, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

According to a recent [Pew Research Center] survey "84 percent of Americans generally view public school principals as caring and trustworthy." What? There are a few good principals that really do care. My nephews have one, and if I could, I would go teach for her. I have seen her on the floor with students, making sure they are quiet during school-wide performances. When my brother died, she allowed my nephews to stay after school, so my mom could get things done. She's amazing.

But most of us - don't have such a principal. Many of us have vindictive, uncaring principals, that generally dislike the kids, and don't know what else to do in life.

Is your principal caring and trustworthy?

chipmunky

Of the 7 principals I worked for
Old 09-23-2019, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

4 were really caring and trustworthy. One was new and was just trying to keep his head above water. Two were not good at all. I was fortunate to not work very long for those two. They made me appreciate the other 4 so much more.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 09-23-2019, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught 40 yrs. I had at least 13 principals. 11 were caring and trustworthy for the most part. One was a real ***h***. But you could trust him to dot the i's and cross the t's Probably the smartest one I had. I worked in a small district.
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

3 out of 4
Old 09-23-2019, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught for 30+ years in 4 different schools. My very first principal was well respected and trustworthy in the school and in the community. He died in a car accident. It was terrible and a big loss. My second principal (different school) was caring and pushed you to try creative ways to reach the kids. She had a major heart attack. Again, another big loss.
My third boss was new to admin. She did not know how to lead and often had very tense faculty meeting. I moved to another town.
My last principal was a leader, asked for your input, made everyone part of a team, and truly wanted what was best for the students.
I was so glad to end my year with her as my principal!
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-23-2019, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have worked for five principals in my 27 years. Some were better than others, and they all had quite different personalities and leadership styles. However, I do feel that all of them had the best interest of the kids and school at heart.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Principals
Old 09-23-2019, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I worked for six or seven principals prior to retiring. Two of them were good, and the others not so much. The one I worked with my last 12 years was a total nightmare. She was not caring or trustworthy.

There were some wonderful assistant principals but, unfortunately, they didn't have the authority to do much.

Last edited by travelingfar; 09-24-2019 at 04:21 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

4 out of 5 good ones
Old 09-23-2019, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had 5 principals over my 30+ year career (4 schools). All but one were wonderful, caring, and totally supportive of teachers and kids. The first two were the old-fashioned grandfather types in my early career when there was no high-stakes testing. The last two were were in the common core and crazy data era, but continued to treat us with respect and compassion. The one in the middle had no idea what he was doing, kowtowed to parents, and regularly threw his teachers under the bus. Luckily, he only lasted a year.

4 out of 5 good ones is not bad at all!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Eh, hard to say. Yes, I believe she cares deeply, but sometimes around the wrong things, IMO. I think she convinces herself that being obsessed with student/growth data is caring about the kids because she's setting them up for the future. While that's true to some extent, there are a lot of things we do in pursuit of that data that don't set kids up well for the future (i.e. ignoring the social/emotional stuff in primary grades in order to have more time spent on reading skills).

Trustworthy? Again, hard to say. On the one hand I certainly don't believe she's just out to get anyone, but she does let her ego get in the way.

This all said, I've had 4 principals and only one of them was truly bad. She certainly didn't have the best interests of kids at heart and she was about the most untrustworthy person out there. In fact, the thing that was finally her downfall (after almost 3 years of running the school into the ground) was stealing PTO money for happy hour that only her "favorites" were invited to .
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Dreamer625

Principals
Old 09-23-2019, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In 22 years of teaching Iíve had 3 great ones and one not so good one. Iíve been working for my current principal for about 15 years. Heís great.
Dreamer625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Principals
Old 09-23-2019, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my 19 years I had 4 principals and all were caring and trustworthy. Each had a different personality and different management style, but I would work with any of them again in a NY minute.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 09-23-2019, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Mine is. Caring, trustworthy, supportive.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

ESDTeacher98

Caring and trustworthy
Old 09-23-2019, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've had 5 principals to work for and 3 have been wonderful. Current one is outstanding and I hope to work for her till I retire.
ESDTeacher98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 09-23-2019, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Let me take stock:

Current P: Caring, about students, families and teachers. She isnt perfect but she is pretty darn good, and I wont be leaving this school while she is around-I have seen the other side the issue and when a P is really bad the whole school/workday is insufferable.

Current VP: Good-definitely cares and has my back. She was P who was demoted so I was very nervous when I heard she was coming but I think she is great.

Former VP at my current school: Definitely cares about kids (and making parents happy)-but I dont find her as caring and supporting of teachers. I was working 2 other jobs and she still felt compelled to put the squeeze on me and try to make me teach more after school interventions-I was already teaching one and didnt have time for another-I held my ground and I was kind glad she got moved the next year because I was a little afraid that she was going to make me regret resisting her pressure tactics. She was also the "jumping on the bandwagon" type who hears something is good so she just tells everyone we have to do that thing now-that is less about what is best for kids and more about making yourself look good.

Former P-Charter School: Awful, in over her head and she knew it and the pressure clearly got to her. What a horrible year. She also was the worst at inconsistency-she'd say "this is the rule" then the second a parent pushed she made a new rule nobody seemed to know what was going on-this is not good kids I assure you. She also talked about teachers behind their backs. She was fired mid-year after I left.

Former VP-charter school-wait...was there really a VP-she seemed to never be around and was never available. I'm gonna go with terrible since, if you're never there, you cant really be "all about whats good for kids".

Former P-private school (took over after the long standing P retired). Horrible, dressed like a hooker while being the P of a Christian school. Didn't seem to care so much as she just wanted no complaints-not even a credentialed teacher-she taught Spanish without a credential before becoming the P. No actual classroom teaching experience. I bet you can guess how that went. Oh yeah and her kids were horrific terrors, but you couldn't discipline them otherwise you got in trouble-she would observe until she could find something to write you up about. I got verbal reprimand once for not giving the kids in class time to work on homework (because its baseball season, so I need to remember that and give the kids time in class to do it). Lord forbid-I used me class time to teach rather than watching the kids do their homework.

Former P-long standing private school: cared a lot and worked her tail off. Nepotism was a real thing though-she hired all her kids and their spouses. She was fair and caring for the most part. She was the heart of the school and when she left enrollment tanked.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Room_916

Old 09-24-2019, 01:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

P 1: Yes, very much so.
P 2: Not at all.
P 3: Yes!!! Incredible, amazing P.
P 4: No.
P 5: No.
P 6: (current P) Yes, he is caring and trustworthy.

This covers 31 years of teaching. So, in my career, 50% have been caring and trustworthy.
Room_916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

My experience
Old 09-24-2019, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've only worked for 2. Unfortunately they presented themselves as very supportive but ultimately did not have my best interests at heart, which I think hurts more than just knowing that someone is kind of a jerk in the beginning. It's hard for me to trust any employer now.
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I'm sorry you had bad experiences
Old 09-24-2019, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

But I think most principals are caring and trustworthy. As you've seen in the comments, most of us DO have such principals.
Principals are accountable to students, parents, and school boards. It's very tough to make all three happy. I would never, ever want to be a principal.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Most were...
Old 09-24-2019, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I taught for 42 years in two different districts. Most of my principals were caring and trustworthy. I could think of one superintendent and two principals in all that time who weren't. My last principal was definitely caring and trustworthy with the students. I would have to say though, a bigger problem is insensitivity towards the staff. The requirements and mandates plus the curriculum changes thrown at the staff bordered on the impossible. She did not seem to see how people were stressing, and wanted a school of Pollyannas who never uttered a negative word. She also played favorites blatantly, which in my opinion made her a poor leader.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 09-24-2019, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I would definitely say yes at my current school.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote
falalala2929

falalala2929

trustworthy?
Old 09-25-2019, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Over 20 years:

#1 - hard working but a cold personality - VP, excellent
#2 - Good, but ruffled some feathers, focused on kids
#3 - Very erratic, good administrative/organizational skills; real back-stabber & played favorites like mad
#4 - This was #3's friend....took over for her....nice at first, but lost it with increasing "failing school pressures" - played favorites worse than #3....she was fired
#5 - Current - NOT TRUSTWORTHY AT ALL (sorry to end my career this way).

EyeSeeTwo

Old 09-25-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Twenty years teaching. Four districts, twelve principals, seven different superintendents. Not once trustworthy or competent superintendent! Only one competent and trustworthy principle one awesome vice principal.Documentation and a strong union made those teaching years bearable.
EyeSeeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Principals
Old 09-28-2019, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

P#1: Caring about students but ineffective, always caved to parents.
P#2: Taskmaster, unfair, never listened to circumstances of situations.
P#3: AMAZING! Caring, trustworthy put kids first, knew her craft and mentored every teacher. She was always willing to listen you could tell her the truth. She always had your back.
P#4: Ineffective, the job was a stepping stone. He never invested in the school.
P#5: A liar and manipulator, she always caved to parents and didn't have teachers backs. She was removed from the job and demoted.
P36: AMAZING! Caring and supportive, family comes first always and she means it. Parents, kids and staff respect her. Her motto is happy teachers means happy kids and happy parents.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote