Help

BusyBoard

Spooky stories

>

nickelbackfan

Spooky stories
Old 09-29-2019, 02:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you write spooky stories in elementary school?

How do you get them to come up with ideas that are aren’t over the top and will make others scared?

Ideas of “problems” the characters can have?

nickelbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 09-29-2019, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We write Halloween themed stories (2nd), but they don't HAVE to be spooky. I give the kids choice.

We brainstorm ideas as a whole group, then build off others' ideas.
We also brainstorm characters they could use and where their stories might take place.

In 2nd, I don't focus so much on the problem in the story as I do these 2 things:

*character development
*setting development

Those 2 are "easy" to teach/model/have them pick up on quickly because of the nature of the topic.

We focus on problem later on in other story topics.

I guess that doesn't answer your question.

Maybe brainstorm possible problems as a whole group. Read a few somewhat spooky stories aloud and discuss.

I do remember last year, one of my more able girls wrote a spooky story about someone chasing the main character down alleys, around the graveyard, etc. In the end, the character was "caught" by the scary person, and she revealed that it was just someone running after the character, trying to return her candy bag that she had dropped. I was very impressed that a 2nd grader could come up with a spooky story like that! (I don't encourage spooky due to their ages).

Last edited by eliza4one; 09-29-2019 at 06:52 AM..
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 09-29-2019, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Nope - I could never do it! I didn't do it in elementary and I won't require it in middle school. I have trouble sleeping if I read or watch scary stuff, so I could never make students do it. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't understand the enjoyment of horror.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 09-29-2019, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

dutchgirl~ I agree, actually. I myself hate any type of scary movie and it bothers me when kids tell me they watched any type of scary movie.

That is why I was surprised when the girl actually wrote a somewhat spooky/scary story. I didn't encourage it at all. In fact, she was the only one who wrote a scary one. Most were cute/silly/endearing stories.

In 2nd, we aim more for Georgie the Ghost type stories, pumpkin stories, etc.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote
qwwda

qwwda

I did
Old 09-30-2019, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

last year in Kindergarten. We talked about the difference between spooky and scary and I gave an example of spooky. We brainstormed Halloween creatures like werewolves and we tied in into what 'fiction' means. I didn't even consider that some kids might be scared because we talked a lot about how these were just fun pretend stories. The kids loved it and I didn't get any parent complaints so I'm guessing everyone was fine with it.

calumetteach

In second grade
Old 09-30-2019, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

we would read "The Ghost-Eye Tree." After we would discuss things that scared us. When I was young I had to go in the dark, creepy basement to get applesauce...it was very scary. I also told them about having to put my bike away because I'd forget to put it away when it was daytime.

Then we talk about scary things...being upstairs alone, having to feed the dog outside in the dark, walking to grandma's when it's dark(many kids grandparents live near them where I live).
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote