Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Update-- Woman hurt at work

>

twin2

Update-- Woman hurt at work
Old 10-11-2019, 07:35 PM

During the night I thought about this woman, wondering how she is doing. She didn't respond much when I tried to.see if she was ok. I was sure then that she did not hit her head, last night I started to think she might have hit her head, and that could be why the woman barely responded to me as I tried to see if she was ok.

I talked with our.principal this morning. I asked if she could tells us anything about how the woman is doing. She said she hurt her hip, but she's ok. I did not ask for further explanation. Then she told me they pulled the video, so I asked if she actually hit her head and she said no. I'm glad she did not hit her head. Oh and the principal told me who to see about my broken walkie.

I was shocked there is video of this. I had no idea the cameras were not just in the office. She said they saw that I went to the woman immediately and tried to help. In my mind I was a mess, not frantic, but not as helpful as I could have been. I don't even remember if I let go of my student's hand or drug him along with me. He is non-verbal and at times a runner, so I hold his hand when he is agitated (he had a stomachache as best I could tell in the classroom). All I know is he did not run away, but stayed with me. I worry that either action on my part could be criticized. Then again, that could be said about any action any one of us might take, so that's not something I should have worried about.

This has caused me to wonder about my student. We are on the stairs several times a day. I do not hold his hand on the stairs because he walks safely on the stairs and seems considerate of my need to take them slower than him, waiting on me if he realizes he is getting ahead, instead of seeing this as an opportunity to escape my supervision. I choose not to hold his hand on the stairs because if I fall I will likely pull him down with me (did this to my daughter when she was little). I wonder if I fell on the stairs, if he would go back to class seek help, run away, have a meltdown, or try to help me.

I overthink things. These are the sort of things that keep me up at night.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 10-12-2019, 03:33 AM

I am glad the woman is ok. Yes, sometimes itís hard not to overthink things, especially knowing we are responsible for others.
noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

76lake

Old 10-12-2019, 04:45 AM

I'm glad she'll be okay!
76lake is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 10-12-2019, 04:47 AM

Thank you for the update on the woman who fell.

I think not holding the student's hand is a wise choice!

It's best not to over think things.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 10-12-2019, 05:35 AM

I'm so glad the woman did not hurt her head! I think your actions in the hallway were just fine!

I'm a fellow over thinker here. I've wondered before as well what would happen if I passed out or something in class. We have drills for everything else, why do we not have drills for what to do if your teacher has an emergency. Hmmm

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-12-2019, 05:58 AM

I think that woman fell and injured her head and the principal does not want to give too many details in order to downplay the incident. I overthink too but give myself five minutes to do so and then visualize a stop sign otherwise I'll get too stressed out.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Injured woman
Old 10-12-2019, 06:30 AM

Itís time to let this go. Accident happened, you offered immediate assistance. Professionals took it from there. She is neither a friend or coworker. Your child seems to be fine. You were a good role model to him. Your P seems on the up and up about the entire situation.

If you want, send her a get well card.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-12-2019, 11:00 AM

I am glad the woman is going to be OK! Its hard not to overthink things but I know from experience we can drive ourselves crazy. Try not to worry about what could be, just wait until something concerning happens, IF it ever does, then worry! I know, easier said than done!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote