Help

The VENT

Done

>

FLTeacherMom

Done
Old 12-16-2019, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíve made the decision that this is my last year. Im DONE! Iím so over rude parents, ridiculous demands, zero respect or appreciation and the s$&@ pay. Final straw-Iím required to take 4 college level classes to learn how to teach reading. All teachers except newly graduated teachers must do this. Been teaching 10 years. Have highest reading scores on my team. But apparently I and all other teachers canít teach reading. If Iím going to devote that much time to taking classes itís going to be towards a new career. Iím seriously thinking of going into human resources. I feel terrified because I hate change and feel too old to change careers (Iím 42). But I just donít want to do this for another 20 years.

FLTeacherMom is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 12-16-2019, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

HR is a good career choice for a teacher. You might not even have to take classes.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Only certain staff?
Old 12-17-2019, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How odd that they are requiring classes for only a selected group of teachers. Thatís rotten. Are they paying for the courses?
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

myangel

Reading Courses
Old 12-17-2019, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Many years ago this was a requirement in my district, probably still is. I went on our state's D of Ed website and learned I could take a section of Praxis to test out, which I did. Check it out.
myangel is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 12-17-2019, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good for you! You are not to old to change careers or take classes. Get out now while you are young enough to do so. Best wishes!

desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 12-18-2019, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Iíve made the decision that this is my last year. Im DONE! Iím so over rude parents, ridiculous demands, zero respect or appreciation and the s$&@ pay. Final straw-Iím required to take 4 college level classes to learn how to teach reading.
The politicians in Fla are bound and determined to end our public schools and replace them with for profit charters and private. I retired in Fla less than two years ago and the previous 15 had the writing on the wall. Burden teachers with more and more nonsense and then proclaim they are failing and we need "choice"..............the level in hell they will end up in will not be low enough. Hurting children and teachers to reach their goals..............
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ENLTeacher

Good for you!
Old 12-18-2019, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am doing the same thing! I am going to finish up this school year and transition into HR. I am taking a couple classes (certificate program) in HR this coming January. I am done. And no, you are absolutely not too old to change careers. Go for it!
K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

FLTeacherMom

Thank you
Old 12-19-2019, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you all for the support! Florida is destroying education. I do feel a little bit like a sell out-but I have to look out for my own happiness. I am
absolutely TERRIFIED to switch careers and keep trying to talk myself out of it lol. Then I think of EVERYTHING Iíve had to deal with as a teacher and think pfffft I can handle ANY challenges that come my way! Luckily my hubby is super supportive too. I will miss my team and I pray my new boss and coworkers are nice. Im excited to see what this new decade brings my way. 😊
FLTeacherMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

It looks like it is the last yr for a lot of
Old 12-28-2019, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

us on here.
There is the push around here to go back to phonemic awareness and phonics for reading. ( Away from what started out as whole language...) I actually think they maybe on the right track w/ that.I wonder if that is what the courses are about. I guess it doesn't matter if you are out.
It is not just Florida where public ed is being destroyed. Lack of discipline and an increase of SED kids being put in regular classes is destroying it here.
It is scary to switch careers, but I think you will find yourself happier than where you are at. I wish you the best!
It is sad how many good teachers have left the profession due to the garbage we are expected to deal with.
I am guessing in a few years, we will see a mass exodus out of education. It seems to get worse by a lot every yr.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote