The VENT

Burnt Beyond Repair

>

K12ENLTeacher

Burnt Beyond Repair
Old 01-22-2020, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello there...

As my title suggests I am burnt beyond repair. I am certain this is it. I just cannot take this profession any longer. The way this is going I do not see myself survive even another year. I will not rumble on about all the reasons why I am burnt, as I am sure many of you have experienced the feeling.

Today was one of those day, while teaching, that I stood in front of my class after having taught a lesson, realizing I am just ready to walk out that door and never look back!

I taught a math lesson on subtracting mixed numbers by regrouping (converting a mixed number into improper fraction). So, needless to say I had 18 students for a reteach lesson. I used a different strategy. Of course we all used manipulatives. I provided students with real life examples that were relevant to their lives. Nada. Ok. I use yet another strategy to model the skill. Only one student got it. All others had their eyes stare at me and all I could read was "What in the world is Mr. D just taught?" Blank stares.

The thing that really irked me is Yawn, Yawn, and more Yawn. I usually start of by asking level 1 questions to just build on prior knowledge or recall. Nada. I am pointing to the chart and ask a level 1 question. Nada. I model once again and then ask a level 1 question. Nada. Yet they sit there in front of me thinking it would be a great idea to turn and have a side conversation or have a quick giggle.

God forbid I direct their attention to the lesson and demand that they listen. Most certainly I will have a parent coming in tomorrow morning to complain to the P that Mr. D was yelling and rude while picking on their precious snowflake.

I can go on and on. I am burnt beyond repair. I cannot wait to finish off this school year and just resign. I cannot do this job anymore.

Thank you so much for reading.

K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

burnout
Old 01-22-2020, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm so sorry! Many of us are there and know what you're going through. I too would like to quit right now, but I have to wait until the end of the year. I get why I can't just give two weeks notice, but that would be sooo nice!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-22-2020, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yep, it's rough alright! And over the summer, if you think you might like to try one more last year, believe me, you'll probably regret it.

If this is it, this is it. What's your next plan on what you'll do with your life?
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

So smart to know when it's time...
Old 01-22-2020, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You definitely know when you're ready to walk away, and you sound like you've reached the end. Now, you can focus on making your future plans, whether it's retirement or looking for some other avenue of employment, or both.

I probably worked one year too many. I remember the day before starting my last year thinking I did not want to go back. As luck would have it, i had a rough class, the science curriculum had changed, we had to change our SGOs from ones we had been using, and there was a new standards-based report card that was time consuming an stressful. I was so sorry I didn't decide to leave the year before. But, I got through it, and you will persevere through this year. I worked for over 40 years and always thought I'd feel great sadness at leaving, but all I felt was great sense of relief. Retirement has been wonderful.

Good luck to you. Celebrate your "lasts" and know that the end is out there eventually, even if it isn't soon enough.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 01-22-2020, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

K12ENLTeacher, reading your post was like reading a recap of my last year. Those kids didn’t know anything, didn’t want to learn anything, and didn’t care that they didn’t know anything.

I’ll just reiterate what NJ Teacher said: “Good luck to you. Celebrate your “lasts”and know that the end is out there eventually, even if it isn’t soon enough.“

Celebrating each last with that class of ding dongs really, really helped me. I used to think, “That’s the last Valentine’s Day party, the last trip to the library, the last field trip”. Count ‘em ALL. When I got to the second semester, I knew I could make it. Adult beverages were helpful, as well.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

maliamaya

Totally Get It!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been feeling the same way lately. I have kids who don't try at all, then cry when something is hard for them, but NEVER seek help! It took 20 minutess of my math lesson for kids to answer why two subtraction problems were different (one involved "ungrouping" borrowing.) I spoon feed them answers, tricks to remember things, etc., but to no avil. I have several severe unmedicated add kids, who do no work during school, I send unfinished work home, and they don't do it at home! I've been at my wits end as well, but I challenge myself to NOT let them get to me, to NOT let my class make me the "grouchy" teacher, etc. Advice several people gave me was to only focus on the kids who DO understand, who DO work hard, etc. It's a way to not drive yourself crazy and not dwell on the negative too much (something I have a tendency to do).

I have been teaching 20 years and at this point, I can usually start each day with a fresh start, I know things are only getting worse in education, but I only worry about the things I can control, like my attitude! If I am ever "held accountable" for something, I usually respond with, "How would you suggest I do that..."

I've often thought about leaving teaching, several years in a row I spent summers applying for jobs outside of education, and never so much as got an interview. Everything is done online these days, I never even got a call!

Now that I've resigned myself into believing I have no other options, I just decide to have a good day, and by that, I promise myself to NOT let the kids get to me. I work my butt off everyday, and that's all I can do. So my challeng is for myself, it has nothing to do with the kids. I hope this helps.
maliamaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Recall for sense of accomplishment
Old 01-22-2020, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Time for some old school mastery?

Direct teach a method. Set up a competition using something like Quizizz or Socrative. Take a look at Eduprotocols. Some are free on their web site. The books are pretty cool.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Old 01-25-2020, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think we have all been where you are at some point. If it was a reteach group they are going to be a tough group because they didnít get it the first time. If they are so lost I feel 18 is a big group. In my school those supper lost kids get put in groups of about 6 with our Title 1 teachers for a half hour 4 times a week for intense reteach. Also, one of our teachers uses reciprocal teaching strategies during math! I have been meaning to try it too. She is having good results. You sound like a very good teacher that cares a great deal. We need more like you! Please reconsider. Next year may be better.
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote