The VENT

fmla for mental stress and anxiety

>

anonymous04

anonymous04

fmla for mental stress and anxiety
Old 02-08-2020, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need to take some time off. I'm losing it. I have mental breakdowns during the weekend, suffer from anxiety and am in chronic pain.
How do I approach this? What do I tell the school?

Tapdancesub

Old 02-08-2020, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would start by getting a written request from a medical or mental health professional indicating your need for a leave. I hope you are able to get the time you need to heal.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-08-2020, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My therapist wanted me to look into FMLA. I’d start by seeing a therapist or internist. I’d really recommend a therapist. It might help to just talk to someone or start meds. If not, they can write you a note for FMLA. My therapist told me there were lots of ways you could work it; part time, half days, etc.

Good luck.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

What do you want to say?
Old 02-08-2020, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I took FMLA for medical reasons a couple of years ago. My doctor filled out the paperwork and there was no need to explain the medical details--simply a statement that I was not able to work until (date).

1. A phone call to HR to let them know I was unable to start the year and needed leave.

2. HR sent paperwork (fax, I think) to doctor.

3. Doctor filled out forms and sent them back in.

4. When I was ready to return, I had to see my doctor to get a note clearing me to return to work.

I did contact my principal at the beginning of all this (I was hospitalized in August and not able to start the school year). I let her know that I wouldn't be able to start until late. I actually explained the details, because I wanted her to know, but you may not.

If you don't want to explain, you could simply say that you are having medical issues, that you are working with your doctor to get better, and that you need to take leave. Then ask what the procedure is.

I'm guessing that in your situation it might be wiser to preserve your privacy.

I hope that taking some time off to care for yourself helps lots.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 02-09-2020, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

*See if the FMLA paperwork is on your district website.
*If so, print it out and take a copy to your doctor to be filled out. You may want to start with your primary just because that may be a quicker appointment, then follow up with whatever type of dr primary recommends.
*Make a copy of paperwork for yourself. The original gets sent to HR. No need to explain, just states you need to be out for X weeks.
*Your school may have you write a week or 2 of lesson plans. That's what those emergency plans are for.

I had to take a stress leave years ago and I had to see my doctor to get the paperwork filled out, per my HR director.

You'll use of sick days but that's what they're for.

No need to tell the school anything except that you'll be out for a while.

Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-09-2020, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Start with your therapist. If you don't have one, it sounds like you really need to get one. You'll need a doctor's note, whether it's for the anxiety or the pain. I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope you are able to get the reprieve you need to feel healthy and whole again.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 02-24-2020, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a colleague that is taking a leave of absence. Her daughter is battling some mental health issues and is in the hospital for the 4th time this school year. She just went to the principal and explained her need to take a leave of absence and when she'd be gone. I'd say going to your principal (or if your principal is hard to deal with perhaps your union rep?) first and see what's available to you.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote