Help

The VENT

Office jobs

>

Violet4

Office jobs
Old 02-17-2020, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was thinking about a scene from a movie called Kate and Leopold where she and him are snuggling after a weekend together and she's saying "No. I don't want it to be Sunday..." because she was dreading work. Because I'm so stressed out at my current situation, my mind now goes to "seriously. How bad can it be? You work at a desk with coffee where 90 percent of the time no one bothers you.," Which I know is a classic example of "grass is always greener" and it is just a movie... haha.

But I'm curious, if anyone reading this has worked an office type job or has a spouse/family/friends who do, it has its own stressors right? What kinds? I'm very curious now.

Fortunately I may get to try something else next school year but waiting on *bleep bleep* HR to process LOA paperwork...urgh. My principal signed off and I'm tenured so I'm hoping that's good enough.

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Honestly
Old 02-17-2020, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

All jobs have things that are a pisser and things that are great. I think it's really helpful to not compare. I've been working on this myself, and whenever I start to make comparisons, I remember this quote, "Comparison is the thief of joy." Don't let the negativity steal your joy.
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 02-17-2020, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I imagine in an office job stressors may be constant interruptions, sitting too long in one spot, no sunshine or weather to watch, looking at the same four walls hour after hour.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Dealing with the boss...
Old 02-17-2020, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Years ago, I had a summer job in the office my Mom worked in. One of the things I was asked to do was go downstairs to the cafeteria and bring the boss his cruller and coffee. Well one day, they had no crullers, so I brought him a different type of pastry. He carried on just like a child. I knew then an office job was definitely not in my future.

My friend is an admin assistant and has stress and pressure because of the need to keep the office running smoothly, all the while handling whatever is thrown at her from the bosses and the other workers. Not easy, but her job does not have the unpaid after-hours work of teaching.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Office jobs
Old 02-17-2020, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I worked as an executive secretary for 12 years before getting my credential. It could be boring or super stressful. I worked with engineers who didnít always understand the bigger picture of a deadline. They would think a date was their deadline, not understanding that their report had to be typed, photocopied, bound, mailed off and received by the deadline date. Lots of stress and overtime.

I only had two weeks of vacation and when my children were babies, a lot of that got used up when they were sick and I had to stay home.

But, for the most part, when I left work, 95% of my job stayed in the office and didnít come home with me. I got to wear high heels all day . Way back in the day, I could have wine with lunch.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Yes.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I worked in 2 different office jobs before I started teaching. One was for a large public employees union. I commuted and worked there for almost 2 years. The other was for a smaller company and I worked there for almost 2 years.

Yes, they have other stressors, but I never brought anything home and my weekends were always my own. As my husband says, everyone dreads Sunday nights.

I have not regretted my years teaching, but I am nearing the end and probably need to do something else for a year or two depending on if I teach one more year or not.

I think it all depends on what you end up doing outside of teaching. Some jobs are stressful, others are not. I know that my younger sister works less hours, but I don't know that she has ever found her job to be rewarding or meaningful.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

BioEducator87

Old 02-17-2020, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would love an office job where I'm left alone to do my work. If only it paid more than I'm making right now and I had generous time off. I actually like working in an office.
BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

I was a Social Worker
Old 02-17-2020, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

prior to being a teacher. (I graduated college with a double major and my teacher's certificate at the same time.) I always knew I wanted to help kids--be it in schools or at home.

It definitely had its own stressors. I dreaded Sunday nights then far worse than now. The emotional toll was overwhelming for me! I did it for ten years because everyone said that I would toughen up or get used to it or ... I didn't.

When we were in office, we sat in cubicles with desks, computers and file cabinets. The paperwork was overwhelming and the meetings were endless. We had to go to court and file court reports. We had time audits to account for our work at work.

When we were in the "field," it was to make home visits for child abuse and/or neglect.

I definitely prefer my job now compared to that! As a rule, I try to keep Sundays pretty casual. It helps with any Sunday night dreads. I do work some for the week ahead but try to do that as the week goes by... (instead of saving it for the weekend.) Also, I mix up Sunday work with lots of leisure activities--reading, playing, eating out, spending time with family. I used to go to church or donate platelets on Sundays--but do not do either at the present.

I think the PPs are right--every job has pros and cons.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-17-2020, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do think my friends who have office jobs definitely have more relaxed days than I do. I am always shocked at people who have time to do things like go out for a restaurant lunch or go to the gym in the middle of their work day.

However, I have two big benefits that they don't have. I have a relatively secure position. My state got rid of tenure, but I have a non-probationary status that means admin would have to do some work to get rid of me. At minimum, this would take two school years (theoretically, if I earned a "partially effective" rating this year, I'd have to be given next school year to turn it around with an improvement plan). Even probationary teachers can't be just let go mid-year. In offices constantly worrying about downsizing is a major stressor. You can be let go at any time with no notice- that's happened to a few of my friends and it's taken them months to get other jobs. Not to mention, some jobs are just no longer needed due to outsourcing or technology, which is something teachers don't have to worry about.

The second benefit is all the time off. I don't know anyone who gets even 1/4 of the time that I get as a teacher. 10-11 weeks in the summer, 2 weeks at Christmas, one week Thanksgiving break, one week spring break, two conference comp days, several "3 day weekend" holidays like today, and a couple of snow days thrown in as well. I also get 10 annual leave days every year- I don't get sick often so I don't typically use most of them, but they're there. Most of my friends literally only got Christmas day off. They had to work a partial or full day even on Christmas Eve. They get maybe 1 week of vacation time, which isn't even granted until you've been with the company for a set amount of time. Now IMO all the time off evens out with the extra stress we deal with in our regular work days, but it is a benefit that most employees don't receive.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

eeza

office job
Old 02-17-2020, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I worked at an office job in college. It as part-time and I hated to quit to do my student teaching. It wasn't perfect, but I would go back if a spot opened.

eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 02-17-2020, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I worked a lot of different jobs going through school. As already mentioned, all jobs have their negatives. However, with many other jobs, once you're done for the day, you're on your own time. I find with teaching, my mind doesn't shut it all off. You know...worrying about those kids who aren't getting it or have issues, how to make lessons better, etc. There's also planning or grading that is hanging over me during the weekend. I think our Sunday blues are probably worse than other jobs.

My 2 big positives with teaching are:

1. YOU make such a difference in the lives of children and families. This difference lasts a lifetime. What we do matters. We enjoy helping others so with our career, we haven't wasted our time.

2. We pay into and have a pretty good pension. Granted it's part of our benefits that we've contributed to this pot of money. My DH and I were discussing that there aren't many jobs with pensions any longer. You couldn't really live off of SS - it's a pittance.

Just a reminder that when non-teachers go on about our vacations, those are non paid days off. We are only paid for the days we teach. We're also not paid for all the extra hours we put in beyond our time with the kids. I've been blindsided (criticized) and couldn't think to reply at the time. I have this information at the ready now.

Teachers rock!!
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 02-17-2020, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

For me, I would miss creativity and the feeling of contributing to future generations.
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 02-17-2020, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Well I guess it depends on what you mean by an "office job." If you're talking about your basic clerical/administrative assistant job, my experience was that it is, indeed, considerably less stressful than teaching. The stress that I experienced in those kinds of jobs came from boredom, inadequate income and vulnerability to sexual harassment. And yes, it takes quite a bit of time to build up a reasonable amount of vacation time although, on the plus side, you can take it when you want.

However, in Kate and Leopold, I seem to recall that she was a corporate market analyst. Those kinds of corporate jobs can be extremely stressful in that you may have to deal with all kinds of office politics, competitiveness, back-biting and gossip along with the sexual harassment that women deal with in the corporate world. You're also dealing with a lack of job security. One of my close friends got laid off last year from a coporate marketing job she had held for 20 years. Technically, it was due to a reorganization but really it was a money-saving move; she was six months away from being elibigle for full retirement benefits.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Tori
Old 02-17-2020, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thank you-I had forgotten what her official job title was I just remembered it was corporate.

Yes I do think even in real life it would be a very stressful job. I might even go as far to say I would be even more unhappy in her job.
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
mds2

mds2

Old 02-17-2020, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

What kind of an office job? One where you work all day and at 5pm your job is done or a professional job that is an "office job" where you are salaried, the job is never done, you have "clients" either internal or external who have unreasonable expectations and at the drop of the hat can change every plan you had and by-the-way you can't go home because it must be done before you even got it. Those jobs? The ones where you have 3-4 weeks of vaca and 10 holidays but can't manage to use any of it because you have to work so much overtime just to keep afloat that the timesheet never registers vacation. Plus you have to track your time across projects to the tenth of an hour. You get paid a good amount of money for that cushy office job. There is no dreading Sundays because you work on Sunday half of the time.

Ima Teacher

Old 02-17-2020, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have friends who are doctors, nurses, factory workers, social workers, administrative secretaries, and lots of other things. They all have good and bad parts. Our common thread is that we all deal with people who have bad attitudes or are clueless about how their job actually works.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote
itaintright

itaintright

I worked in an office
Old 02-17-2020, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

the majority of my career! I stayed in my last office job for almost 15 years before leaving to become a teacher. There are pros and cons. I liked leaving work at work and when I was off, I was off and didnít have to work from home. However, I found the office politics stifling along with the good ole boy system, gossip, backbiting, and frenemies made it hell for me. The work was tedious and I had a strong urge to want to make a difference with my life and my work. I like teaching because I can be creative, have my own space and I can close the door and teach. When I worked in an office on the cube farm, I had no privacy and my work was routine administrative paperwork - no creativity and the endless amount of weekly meetings. With teaching, you can change schools, grades and subjects. If your environment is bad, each school year you get a new start.

apple annie

Old 02-17-2020, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I worked as a receptionist in a doctor's office. He was the only doctor, there was only a nurse and insurance secretary, the doctor and me. It was super calm, pleasant, and we all got along. I'm pretty good with patients, customers, parents, etc., even when they aren't happy, so that never bothered me. Problem was I had to work a weekend job because I didn't make enough money.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 02-17-2020, 11:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I was a secretary for about 14 years before becoming a teacher. I loved it. I was a plant managers secretary. I have 2 more years of teaching, then I’m retiring. I’m taking a year off, then hoping to do secretarial work for city, county or state. The job had some stressors, but about a level 1 out of 10 on teacher scale. But, would depend on what type of office you got hired into.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Old 02-18-2020, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I worked all sorts of office jobs before teaching. I even worked as a temp after student teaching because there were no jobs. There are two main differences that I always come to mind:

-When you're a teacher, your eyes are always on everyone else. You are responsible for what is going on in the room. When you work in an office, you are only responsible for yourself. Now, I understand that people work together and collaborate in an office, but there is little chance of your co-worker standing on a chair just to see what happens and you being responsible if he gets hurt.

-In my experience, office jobs can be repetitive. I found the afternoons very boring and kept thinking about how I couldn't spend my entire life doing these tedious tasks over and over.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-18-2020, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

As we all know, every job has their pros and cons. Whether it's an office job or something else...

I'll take a rather boring, repetitive, isolating, easy job OVER a teaching one any day! Especially if the pay was about the same as teaching.

With teaching, there are too many people to please and/or get approval from on a constant basis/for the length of your job forever: Admin (the P and VP), parents, even the kids in a certain way (because we hope our own students like and respect us), and more (school psych, special ed staff, office staff, other people down at the main district office who we have to deal with, etc.)
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

iloveglitter2

Old 02-18-2020, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I came to teaching after 11 years in an office. My worst day teaching still outshines my office days. Yes, you aren't micro managed constantly. But I was bothered constantly. You have so many nosey folks come over to see what you are doing or to see what you know about someone.

I hated my office days.
iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 02-19-2020, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I worked at several offices before teaching. I loved it.
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ENLTeacher

oblivious?
Old 02-21-2020, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I have read all of the posts on this thread thus far and I can see that many people prefer teaching more than their old days in the office. I have not done anything else besides teaching so, maybe, I may not be as enlightened about the office job as others. However, I always believe that it depends on a person to make their job fun, even the most boring one. I think I would rather do a monotonous work in the office than teaching. I have done enough contributions into the future generations and whatever difference I have made will never be enough, so I am not bothered to spend the next 20 years of my life doing it. I have tried to find a work-life balance with teaching but I managed to do very little about it.
Besides, many of my friends who work in the corporate world only praise it. Granted, like many on here stated, the office job can also be stressful and has its own disadvantages, I feel I can make it work.
I want to finally come home on a Friday night, drop everything and throw myself on the couch, and think "Kids? What kids?"
K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote