Help

Substitute Teachers

Bad day

>

Learn Today

Bad day
Old 02-21-2020, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I subbed in 5th grade social studies at the school I retired from. I had 5 periods teaching the same lesson. The majority of the classes were awful! I even had one student removed from the class by the school resource officer. He was kept for about 45 minutes and then sent back where he was still bad. I have these kids again Monday! Any ideas on how to maintain control when I don't really have administrator support? I dread Monday but need to keep this job

Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-21-2020, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I hear you coughing. Nothing is worth your sanity.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-22-2020, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I find a little competition goes a long way in those situations - either between tables during each class, or one section/period against another. Just reserve a little space on the board for a chart, and add or take away stars from each group as they impress you or misbehave.

The reward to the winning group doesn't even have to a big thing. - I've done it with younger kids just over which groups get to line up first, and they were still very into it. I think often, the bragging rights are just as important to them as the "prize".
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Dr.Now

Dr.Now

Rewards/Prize
Old 02-22-2020, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Five classes. Treat each period or class as a competition. I would break each class into groups. Give table or group points for good behavior.Reward the best group for each period or class. Go to the dollar store, and you can get pencils, erasers, stickers,etc. for the prizes. Give each student in the winning group 2 or 3 material rewards.
*In a perfect world,you shouldn't have to do this. But the world isn't perfect.
* We live in a material society. Students need incentives.
*The goal is to keep your sanity.
*I was a teacher for a couple of decades. I didn't do this much as a full
time teacher, if at all. Subbing is mostly management. The problem with misbehavior has to be addressed in a different way. There will be improvements in behavior with rewards if you do this. Remember, no guarantees in life though.
*Teachers on here will argue that you shouldn't have to buy and or give
rewards like this. It's bribery. They are right to a certain degree,but again you have to address the problem in a different way. Youre trying to minimize misbehavior. Thats your goal.It works well for me when I sub, and I've subbed in many rough classes.
* Think of it as a game. You are in control and have the power. Not them.
*Think of it as a system. You'll see improvements.
*Get all prizes ready for the . Put them in containers. When you pass them out to the winning group, they don't pick the colors. They simply
receive what's given to them. Pass out at end of each period. Don't tell them what the prizes are for each period.
*There are other things to do to with this system, but I have writer's cramp. Good luck.
*I even have a few students come up and thank me for their prizes every
once in a while. It's rare, but when they do, you know you were successful.
* If I have only one group or class for the day, this strategy works well. I often reward all students with one class (if they are good)
* And of course you could call in sick as a last resort.

Tori58

Old 02-22-2020, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I even had one student removed from the class by the school resource officer. He was kept for about 45 minutes and then sent back where he was still bad.
If he didn't come back with a treat, consider it a win.

I don't know if I'd make it a competition, exactly, but I would try to come up with some type of incentive for kids that behave. If students have chromebooks, find out if it's okay to offer them a few minutes of chromebook time at the end of class. If not, sometimes five minutes of chit-chat time will work. If you have a smart board and access to YouTube, sometimes you can find a short, humerous video to show them. (I have some classes that will do anything to get to look at "The Ultimate Dog Tease.") Meanwhile, I would either make the misbehavers do work that they didn't complete or I would deliver a very boring lecture on why their behavior was unacceptable.

Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

TheMercenary

Old 02-24-2020, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The new normal of all reinforcement being "positive" is doing these kids no favor. Pencils, stars, prize boxes -- I don't see behavior changing for the better with all this. There are no real consequences, and the kids know it. As we all know, the behavior gets worse and worse.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-24-2020, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Without support from the office and admin, it is hopeless.

Reminds me of the kid I sent to the office, who came back with McDonalds, strutting around...

TheMercenary

Old 02-24-2020, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Office and admin are afraid of the lawyers. What a world.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 02-24-2020, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Iíve said this before but I really donít call security anymore. Why have the kid get taken outside for 15 min or half an hour and then come back and have him know I am basically powerless to stop them? They are usually worse or just angry when they come back. Unless a kid is really distracting everyone and not listening to me at all I just try to contain them till the class is over.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-24-2020, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I only send students to the office if they're in my face defiant. That is where I draw the line... And I try to make it rare so that the office takes it seriously, when I do send one to them.

I no longer work at the school that sent the kid back with McDonalds. My current school has never sent them back. If they did, I would not be happy.

Dr.Now

Dr.Now

Very True
Old 02-24-2020, 11:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

@TheMercenary's
You are correct. Students don't know what's right or wrong anymore. Schools are doing them a disservice.They"re not learning the value of character and hard work.My reward system while subbing is not really for the kids, it's to keep my sanity when I have a rough class. Its another
day added to my retirement. My goal is survival for a few more years.Without a reward system, I could mention the value of character and good behavior to an unruly class until I turn blue, but this often doesnt help me much. It also doesnt calm the class down.I had my share of very bad days, months, and years, and my strategy works pretty well. I had classes of students arguing, yelling, and fighting, and rewards solves a lot of it.It's not perfect, but it saves me from having awful days. It prevents a lot of escalation of defiant behavior. They're motivated by their eyes on the prize most of the time, and not each other, so that's good enough for me.