Help

BusyBoard

Absent Student and Group Work

>

all41

Absent Student and Group Work
Old 03-03-2020, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who is absent a lot, almost weekly. In class we often do small project such as make a poster to show evidence of learning instead of a worksheet. Occasionally I ask kids to work with a partner to foster collaboration. What do I do with the kid who is absent? I have asked the kid to do project alone or I have created a worksheet that requires the same proof of learning. This kid, and parents, are now questioning why a worksheet was assigned to kid when others didn't have one. I explained the project was a partnership and since Jr wasn't here a worksheet was given instead. Sometimes projects are just to big to take home, we use a lot of butcher paper, sometimes it involves tech, or even summarizing and partner teaching (think turn and talks). Parents want to see Jrs projects with the others.....I want to say get the kid to school and you will.
How do you handle absent kids and in class projects. Science labs are another area this kid misses. Sorry - I am not doing it twice. Kids and parents know when labs are scheduled because this info goes out in weekly news blast.

Last edited by all41; 03-03-2020 at 04:13 PM..
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Imho
Old 03-03-2020, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You have to say it as it is.

"Your child was not in school to do a partner project. I have provided you with an alternative assignment."
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Explain the situation
Old 03-03-2020, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would explain the situation like you did here. Then, give them an option. Let them know the work has to be done, but if they would rather have big things that are hard to take home and bring back, that's their choice.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 03-03-2020, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Parents want to see Jrs projects with the others.....I want to say get the kid to school and you will.
Exactly!

But if they're asking, I agree to give the choice next time - he can do the worksheet or the poster - at home, with whatever supplies they have on hand.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Why is he absent?
Old 03-03-2020, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

To me, it would make a huge difference why the student is absent. If he is a child whose health is simply not good, I would be much more open to providing alternative, but individual, projects.

If the reasons for the absences are questionable, worksheets are just fine! The student needs to learn the content and show mastery in a documentable way. If he missed the lab or the group presentation or whatever experience was done in class, you have provided another way for him to learn. I don't see anything wrong with saying, "I'm so sorry that he missed the opportunity to participate in the group project when he was absent Tuesday. I don't want him to fall behind, so is the makeup work."

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 03-04-2020, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you all for the replies. I felt that what I was providing for makeup work was appropriate and my P was very agreeable and supportive of me with the parents. But, sometimes we second guess ourselves. Thanks for helping me with this dilemma. And to answer a question - yes the absences are very questionable, the kid is not sick but making a choice not to come.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote