Help

The VENT

They can't tell time.

>

MissAgnes

They can't tell time.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My 4th graders. It's maddening. I had a digital clock that I kept by my bathroom sign out sheet, because they can't tell time with an analog clock.
SOmeone broke the digital clock, so they're back to the analog. It takes some of them 5 minutes just figure out what time it is!

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

If you think about it,
Old 03-03-2020, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

time is the measurement of the movement of objects through space. Digital clocks do not do that. They just offer numbers. Kids do not know how long five minutes is, b/c they have never "watched the clock" in the sense of watching the second-hand go around.

My own children used to argue with me about whether we would be late for school. The digital clock on the stove would read "7:47" and I would say, "We have to hurry, it's almost eight o'clock." But they would reply, "No, Mom, it's only seven!" That is when I bought analog clocks for my home.

Kids allegedly learn to tell time in the primary grades using pictures of analog clocks, but if there are no REAL analog clocks in their surroundings, that means nothing. I have had middle schoolers not be able to read the analog clock in the classroom, asking things like, "How long until lunch?" when it was ten minutes to twelve. Really bizarre. That is one thing that I think is really, really wrong with kids AND young adults today. They are unable to understand the CONCEPT of time and it messes with their perceptions in a big way.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 03-03-2020, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Kids allegedly learn to tell time in the primary grades using pictures of analog clocks, but if there are no REAL analog clocks in their surroundings, that means nothing.
EXACTLY. Society blames the "teacher" for not teaching analog clocks. We teach it. They just don't get an opportunity to practice it, so they lose it. It's frustrating. I like analog clocks way better than digital - you can "see" the time rather than having to figure it out. I wake up in the middle of the night sometimes and have to stare at my phone for like ten minutes trying to make sense of what my phone's analog clock is telling me!!!!
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MiddleMan

Definitely a problem
Old 03-03-2020, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have 5th graders and I had to put "5 min, 15 minute, 30 min, 45 min, 60 min" on a clock so they knew how to read it. It took them about a year to understand that they go by 5s and how to count the little marks in between. We never had a digital clock so I was so confused on how they knew time before my class.
MiddleMan is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-03-2020, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was always amazed when I taught 1st grade and worked on time, parents responded by purchasing digital watches for their kids. Like that helps them learn how to tell time.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Can’t tell time
Old 03-03-2020, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

To be honest, I don’t understand this. Learning to tell time on an analog clock is a second grade math standard. Is it not being taught anymore?
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 03-03-2020, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It’s taught. It’s just irrelevant to most so it isn’t practiced. Most kids have never seen an analog clock until they are “taught” time. Same with money, most kids have never seen bills much less coins. Everything is bought with a card these days, and even that is going away as online shopping and E-pay methods expand. As for time, they look at their phone/iPad or just as Siri/Alexa/Google.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

No they can't read an analog clock
Old 03-04-2020, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

and you know what else they can't use?
An old fashioned wall phone! I had one on the wall of my classroom and the teachers who needed a student to come for a lesson would just call the classroom on that phone. (yeah, as if I wasn't in the middle of a lesson)
Anyway, I made answering the phone a classroom job. I taught them a little script of identifying the classroom, their name and How can I help you?
Anyway, the phone would ring and some of the kids had no idea how to listen and talk into the receiver. So, I had to give them a lesson on that!
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

clocks
Old 03-04-2020, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
To be honest, I don’t understand this. Learning to tell time on an analog clock is a second grade math standard. Is it not being taught anymore?
"Taught" but not retained. Clarity and seenthelight hit the nail on the head: it's an academic chore to them, not a useful skill. They don't practice it, so it never really sinks in.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Additionally
Old 03-05-2020, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I’ve had experience with a high school volunteer who didn’t understand the phrase “quarter to”. As in, “thanks, please come back at quarter to 2 for reading”. It was sad. I just used it as a teachable moment.

WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote