Coronavirus: what constitutes overreacting? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Coronavirus: what constitutes overreacting?

>

amiga13

Coronavirus: what constitutes overreacting?
Old 03-10-2020, 01:39 PM

Coronavirus. I think we all agree to frequent hand washing, social distancing, and avoiding crowds. Iím on the fence about some things others are doing, as Iím sure you are (travel, hand sanitizer, food...). I did just order a case of TP because Iím tired of hearing about it (now I just have to figure out where to store a case of TP in my little condo).

But. I just read UCSD (thatís the University of California San Diego with a student population of 35,821) is shutting down all in-person classes and meetings for the entire Spring quarter (classes will continue online). I immediately think of life outside school; do students continue to live in dorms and apartment complexes?

What are you doing and thinking?

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 03-10-2020, 01:43 PM

Personally, I think a lot of people are overreacting. I am not concerned right now. I do have a cruise booked for August, but as of right now I am planning to go. That may change in the future of course.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Long
Old 03-10-2020, 01:57 PM

I'm starting to think I spend too much time watching CNN. I do not think about getting the virus and only worry about my aunt/brother who have/had cancer. My parents I don't like hearing they are in crowds unnecessarily but that is because of my dad's respiration problems not age. I am 64 and don't think about getting the virus. I follow the guidelines.

I have another aunt who along with her family are still taking their Mexican cruise this month. I think they are crazy.

I haven't heard that my niece attending college in NY is coming home or had her classes cancelled. I don't think I would be attending in-person classes though. I know the area of New Rochelle, NY is being isolated because of the high # of cases of the virus. One person had the virus and went out to community actities without knowing he was affected.

I ordered my food delivery[yesterday] and included TP, clorox wipes & cough drops. System did not show what I ordered as not in stock. Today, they were out of TP, clorox wipes & cough drops when I got the rest of my order. The only thing I have done different is buy some extra things like PB & soup.

I guess I'm doing what I can do to stay calm and not get over careful.

Sorry this is long, but it feels good to write this out.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 03-10-2020, 02:05 PM

I think it is hard to know. We probably will only know in the future - hindsight is 20/20. If it gets worse, we won't think we were overreacting. The people who are untouched by it will think it was an overreaction.

Canceling cruises is common sense, imo.

Having stuff on hand in the event that you are sick for any reason is always smart, coronavirus or not - I always have some crackers, canned soup, ibuprofen, tp, etc. around. Pretty much at any point I could survive a week or two at home.

Stocking up endlessly seems like an overreaction.

It sure seems like they are canceling events/schools with any small, remote possibility. Part of me says that's overreacting, but maybe it isn't.

Time will tell.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 03-10-2020, 02:09 PM

I am ambiguous....I did get an extra pack of toilet paper and Lysol wipes, and put them in the garage. I will "save" them as extra just in case, and continue to use our regular supply of tp, soap, etc. I usually keep the freezer/pantry pretty well stocked anyway, so I'm not going crazy buying extra food. But I will continue shopping regularly for now and not eat up all we keep on hand.

I think precautions in certain places are certainly well-intentioned, especially being mindful of cruises, international travel. We have two flights booked for summer--in May to see a family member graduate, and in July for vacation. I'm not canceling the flights, and in fact, was able to get our flight with Southwest reduced because tickets are so cheap right now!

KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 03-10-2020, 02:13 PM

Ohio has 3 confirmed cases. Ohio State and almost every other university closed for face to face classes and lectures. It is insane.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I hear you...
Old 03-10-2020, 02:25 PM

A lot of the universities in my area have shut down and/or extended their spring break, which falls in March. I read today that Berea College in KY is shutting their dorms, ending the semester and sending everyone home. Many of their students are low income and do not have internet access, so online instruction apparently is not an option. There are no reported cases on campus as of now, so that sounded extreme to me, especially for those expecting to graduate and those employed by the college. Four of my retired friends were planning on going to New Mexico next week for a girlfriends weekend, but since the airline offered to waive re-scheduling fees, they decided not to go. I have a friend who is thinking about re-scheduling a Nashville trip due to having to fly there, and another friend who has a wonderful tour of France planned with her church she has to make a decision on.

As for me, I have made a few small concessions. i had thought about a bus trip to a Broadway show later this month, but decided that I did not need that level of potential exposure and seeing the show can wait for another time. I enjoy Major League baseball, but have refrained from purchasing any tickets, especially for the beginning of the season.

That being said, I did see a movie in a theater last weekend, went out to eat twice and my supply of toilet paper and towels thanks to needing to supply the three bathrooms I have in my townhouse (way before coronavirus) is plenty thanks to a previous Costco run weeks ago. I also have plenty of hand sanitizer thanks to a Staples penny sale a number of years ago and lots of extras. i purchased tickets for a Lady Gaga concert in August today. Hopefully, this will have run its course by summer, or they will have better treatment. And I still go to the gym, I just use the hand sanitizer more religiously that they provide and wipe down the equipment, including the weights, both before and after I use them instead of just after.

The unpredictability of coming down with it is concerning.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 03-10-2020, 02:29 PM

A college in my state just announced it is shutting down for the semester. All students have to be out of the dorms by Friday. I think they are going way too far.

Also, we are going to need toilet paper soon. I'm afraid I won't find any!
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-10-2020, 02:30 PM

Overreacting to me would ignoring the scientific facts as they stand right now. There is nothing wrong with stocking up as long as you are not the one taking dozens of one item in a store. How is that fair to your community? I don't watch the news too much except for the BBC World News and do pay attention to some internet news feeds for info from other countries that are about two weeks to a month ahead of us in dealing with cv19. I don't have my head in the sand however I won't panic either. It is more worrisome to me that some government leaders are treating this issue as a political one and not a medical one.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 03-10-2020, 02:34 PM

I think pepteach made a good point about having items in your home for any kind of sickness is good thinking.

I think if you live in an area where there are confirmed cases and they closing things down-that would be a good indication that you need to prepare- especially if one lives alone and does not have family or close friends nearby that could help.

The New York governor has just ordered a containment zone in his state and is sending the national guard to help.

We'll just sleep better at my house knowing we've prepared. If there was a rush and toilet paper can you imagine what the rush on food would be like? I don't want to be caught in the middle of that just because I waited.

better safe than sorry is my motto with this
I think each person or family has to do what makes them feel comfortable. what some person might call overreacting, another person might call being prepared
Haven't stopped any out of the house activities as of yet.

LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 03-10-2020, 02:35 PM

I heard Harvard just closed down for the rest of the semester and everything will be online.

There is no hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes in many of the stores around me even though we have 4 case in the whole state, and they're all at least an hour away. Hand soap and toilet paper are in short supply. I think that's ridiculous!

I have my first trip to London planned for my April school break. I really don't want to cancel as I would lose a lot of money since my travel insurance doesn't cover this situation, but I don't want to be stupid about it either. A lot can happen in the next 6 to 7 weeks :-(
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Alaska35

I think
Old 03-10-2020, 02:36 PM

the reactions that people are having depend on where they live. The state that I live in does not have any reported or confirmed cases of CV as of now. However, I believe it is just a matter of time.

My take away from the information that I am listening to is: it is wiser to be proactive rather than reactive. I do think a person needs to stay calm and listen to the science and the facts.

I think each person has to do what they think is best for their family and themselves.

I have been listening to the governors speak from Washington State and New York. I am trying to stay informed so that I don’t panic if the time comes to “stock up”.

I think each person needs to do whatever makes them feel the most comfortable.

I was surprised to hear of the growing number of universities that are closing person-to-person classes.
Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 03-10-2020, 02:40 PM

I'm really confused about what the appropriate reaction is, too. On the one hand, when China was shutting down cities with millions of people, I thought it was crazy. Now Italy is locking down its entire country. Maybe they know something we don't?

I found stories online last night from doctors in Italy. They said hospitals are overrun with serious cases of the disease. They're unable to help people with other illnesses, because the hospitals are so crowded. They were putting people in hallways and turning operating theaters into wards. And because they have so little protective gear, a lot of the staff is getting sick, which means there aren't enough nurses and doctors. They've been calling people out of retirement and even asking people like podiatrists to start working in the hospitals.

None of what I read was comforting.

It's so hard to know. Is this like when you go outside and there's a blue sky, but a hurricane is coming?
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 03-10-2020, 02:56 PM

I am living dangerously....we had 6 rolls of TP, so this weekend I strolled down the TP aisle---almost all gone! (our state is one of few that have no confirmed cases yet) and a sign that said something about limiting to 5. I decided on a low priced 4-pack over one of the giant overpriced packs.

worse comes to worst, we'll use washcloths. i'm not too worried...

I am almost out of hand sanitizer in my classroom---which I mentioned to parents over 2 months ago and requested more--but got none. requested again in monday folder, but seems it can't be found. welp, guess I won't have it available then---only soap.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Fancy fish
Old 03-10-2020, 02:58 PM

Weíre Canadian, I donít feel like weíre panicking as much as most Americans ( thatís what it seems like).
CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

LaFish

I am...
Old 03-10-2020, 03:07 PM

Hoping for the best while preparing for the worst. I think we are well stocked with canned foods, TP, soap, and water.
We are still going to church, restaurants, the gym, stores, and other places. We have not been to the movies in a couple of weeks. We do plan to see the new James Bond movie when it comes out. However, our vacation plans are on hold. We have not made any reservations yet. We are just waiting and hoping things calm down and get better.
Take care everyone!
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-10-2020, 03:13 PM

Since Iím that older endangered crowd, I just got this from Medicare:
Quote:
Your health, safety, and welfare is our highest priority. In addition to practicing good everyday prevention through things such as hand washing and avoiding touching your face, the CDC says there is more you can do to take precautions against COVID-19 and reduce your risk of exposure:

Avoid crowds, especially in poorly ventilated spaces with limited air circulation.
Defer all cruise ship travel worldwide, particularly if you also have underlying health issues.
Avoid situations that put you at increased risk, including non-essential travel such as long plane trips.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 03-10-2020, 03:15 PM

I have not stocked up on anything or changed my normal weekend grocery lists. I also have not limited what I am doing outside of the house. If I had plans to travel internationally within the next month I would be rethinking it, my spring break is next week and I’m glad I didn’t have a large trip planned.
Do I think it’s something to be worried about? Yes.
Worried any more than the flu? No.
And unless you’re immune compromised or considered elderly (in a high risk group) it won’t effect you any more than the flu. Honestly, people in those groups are probably already taking the precautions and already very susceptible to respiratory illnesses.

I’m in Florida and we do have cases in the state. I live 2 miles from a large college campus and this is their current message which is pretty much in line with the message from my school district (other colleges in the state have gone to limited operations and online classes already):

— is developing plans for modified operations should Coronavirus more directly impact the university. Campus is not expected to close. Essential campus operations would continue, with remote work and online class options should conditions necessitate. Any decisions will be made based on guidance from the Board of Governors and public health officials, with the health and safety of everyone at the university being priorities. More information will be shared as it becomes available.

Living in Florida, the panic is felt here often with hurricanes— people I’ve spoken with are actually much less concerned than when we have a hurricane predicted to hit. Thus, our shelves aren’t cleared and events haven’t been canceled in my immediate area (as of now).

I also think the constant news cycles and social media that we have now plays into the hysteria. I will read information from the CDC, WHO, and my state department of health but that’s all. I don’t click on links on social media or anywhere else.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-10-2020, 03:49 PM

I am living my life as normal right now other than paying a little extra attention to hand washing, and watching the news a lot more frequently for updates, honestly more out of curiosity than fear. That said, I don't fall into any of the risk categories and know that if I were to get sick, it would likely be minor. I'm going to a trivia night tonight like normal and will still plan to go to all of the social stuff I have planned. I was planning to go out with friends for St. Patrick's day this weekend, but our city parade has been cancelled. If other people are still up for going out downtown, I will plan on going.

We also have a teacher "day of action" at the capitol planned for next week. As of now, it's still going on. I don't have a problem with still going, but because of the hysteria it makes me worry about the optics, especially with the parade being cancelled this weekend. I think people will say, "Look at those teachers selfishly spreading corona virus around."

I also have a flight home planned for part of my spring break, which is the week after next. The only thing that made me think twice about that is that my dad is 60 and has asthma. I asked my parents if they were worried about me coming home and they thought I was joking . So, I guess that's still on for now. I do have a teammate who is planning on going to Disney with her grandparents over the break. We all think that's taking it way to far but she thinks we're playing into the hysteria. I can also say you couldn't pay me to get on a cruise ship right now. Moreso because I don't want to be stuck on there!

My teammate just said that her friend who works in a nearby district told her they were told today to plan for a probable closure after spring break. I don't see us closing unless there are actually staff members who are infected. As of right now, it's been here for many days and there are still only 15 cases.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I am worried I will get this virus
Old 03-10-2020, 04:11 PM

as I am over 60 and have asthma. So I have been preparing for three week.

Pantry is stocked.

Freezer is stocked.

Bought over the counter sever cold medications to have on hand.

Ordered postage stamps from the post office.

Ordered disposable gloves and masks.

Ordered alcohol and aloe gel to make my own hand sanitizer.

Stocked up on paper goods.

I went to Hobby Lobby and got some art supplies so I have something fun to do other than watch TV.

Staying home as much as possible. I do have a dental cleaning tomorrow and I am going and hoping for the best.

Had to have a plumber come yesterday to fix a clogged sink. Hope he did have the virus. But I needed his services. He offered his hand when he arrived and I explained that I was glad to meet him but was taking virus precautions and currently not shaking hands. He was very nice and said he understood.

I am as prepared as I can be. Hopefully this will not get really bad. Good luck to us all.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 03-10-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I have my first trip to London planned for my April school break. I really don't want to cancel as I would lose a lot of money since my travel insurance doesn't cover this situation, but I don't want to be stupid about it either. A lot can happen in the next 6 to 7 weeks :-(
We have a late April trip planned. A few days in Florida first and then a bus trip up the coast to Charleston. Got an email from the tour company (Gate1) yesterday that we can cancel and reschedule if you want. Airline (Delta) is letting April reservations reschedule without the change penalty.

Friend has a tour scheduled with Trafalgar in late April to Ireland and Scotland. She talked to someone there and they can reschedule without penalty if they want.

So if you donít want to go check with the tour company /airline and see if you can reschedule. You may be able to do so without penalty. Itís a good business decision for them to let you do so now.

I do agree a lot can happen in the next few weeks. I am waiting until closer to make my decision.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-10-2020, 04:20 PM

College campuses closing down is overreacting. Frankly, Iím tired of hearing about it. I agree people need to use common sense but all of this overreacting is proving that thereís not a lot of common sense going on.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 03-10-2020, 04:22 PM

I am evaluating it all day by day since I am living in the current epicenter of the outbreak and am in the over 60 demographic.

I find it so interesting that colleges and universities and closing campuses and going to remote learning but itís school as usual in most public elementary, middle and high schools. Our superintendent stated that children are at low risk for serious complications if they do get the virus.....but what about older adults working in schools?
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Over reacting
Old 03-10-2020, 04:29 PM

I think there is a lot of misinformation passed about. And social media had exacerbated the issue. Iím washing hands more frequently.

We are in Yosemite right now. Itís never crowded this time of year and is a bit less peopled than last year. I did wipe down door handles, light switches, and bathroom fixtures with Clorox wipes. Other than that, life goes on as normal.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Schools closing in my area...
Old 03-10-2020, 04:36 PM

Santa Clara County. San Jose State, Santa Clara University, Stanford, and some private schools are closed. My guess is schools in my district will follow suit and close next week. My husbandís company had a confirmed case. Facebook, Google, Apple, etc. are telling employees to work from home. A woman died of it at a local hospital.

Worried? Well, I do think we should worry some. I have necessities in the house. I conferenced called my Bible Study sisters last night instead of meeting in person: several are elderly. But I plan on traveling this weekend out of the area, my 84 year old mother is planning to come up for Easter. Sheís not just going to stay home by herself!

There have been so many viruses going around my area for weeks. Kids have had flus that last a week or more, colds, etc. It has been a bad flu season for my students. So, this is just one more, but it could be worse...
Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

What am I doing CV
Old 03-10-2020, 04:56 PM

I had a cable/internet installer in my house today to change my modem and cable box. He was sniffing the whole time. Not coughing but I could tell he had tickles in his throat. He even asked to wash his hands in the bathroom.

Since I just had surgery and need to stay away from infections, this concerned me enough to do some clean up when he left. The doorknobs and bathroom sink were cleaned so were the remote controls and the soap dispensers. Of course, I washed my hands, too.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-10-2020, 05:09 PM

From another post/thread (what is the difference?)

Quote:
It seems like a huge overreaction to me for many reasons.
. If closing places where people gather prevents thousands of people from getting sick and many from dying, I think it is a good thing. It is a preventative thing that hopefully, people will take seriously. The goal is not to get thousands coming down with the illness and keeping numbers manageable.

I had plans for spring break, but I am going to change my flight. Thankfully airlines are allowing that. I don't want to carry anything to my parents and get them sick - and I don't want others doing it either. I hope others consider doing it, too. A small price to pay to keep friends and families well.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-10-2020, 05:34 PM

Daughter is a high school teacher in special ed.She is prepping for online teaching to begin soon and all after school activities,including the proms,have been cancelled. Preemptive action is not panicking;it is smart . Overwhelming the medical infrastructure with a bunch of sick people would be very unwise.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 03-10-2020, 05:35 PM

The Ohio governor recommended that colleges cancel classes so that's happening.

He doesn't want K-12 schools to close (yet) because then many parents (including an estimated 1/3 of nurses) may not be able to work.

I'm not concerned at all, except I'm starting to feel a need to "prepare" in case we're expected to stay home for an extended period of time. I should probably increase our stock of nonperishable and frozen foods and also toiletries.

I do worry about my mom who is in her mid-70s and has a lung disease. She does not live close to us.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 03-10-2020, 05:40 PM

I am washing my hands a lot and trying to not touch my face. That is really all I have done so far. I worry about my son, who lives in the city. At my school in NJ, we are prepping for distance learning.

Son,25, who lives and works in the city (Manhattan) said life is continuing as normal. He's heard rumors that the subways are shutting down, but that seems unfounded.I asked if the subways/trains/busses seemed more empty, but he rarely takes any so said he has no idea. He has not noticed that restaurants, shops, bars are less crowded. I asked if his company has said anything about it, and other than asking the workers commuting from Westchester (an area with a big cluster of infected people) NOT to come in, nothing. He said everyone seems more worried about the economic impact than the illness itself. That could be the hubris of the young. I wish he would come home and work from here but he won't unless he has to or if their office says to work from home (I think he'd then prefer not to be in his apartment in the city and would come home).

I think there is a difference between being ready and panicking. It's foolhardy to ignore the potential danger.

The US is hardly an obedient populace. Hard to see any sort of lockdown really working. Hope it does not come to pass.
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 03-10-2020, 05:54 PM

My husband and I are homebodies anyway, so it's no big hardship to stay home. We are both retired. I am trying to be more stocked up and we refilled prescriptions. I'm washing my hands more. I wish I could find some hand sanitizer to keep in the car, but it's not a big deal. I'm very glad my son and DIL cancelled their trip to NY at the end of this month. I'm hoping it all dies down soon, but I think it's going to be awhile. We don't have any travel plans, and I sure am not planning on going anywhere in the near future.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

My DD
Old 03-10-2020, 05:56 PM

Is at a small college in Ohio, 8 hours from us. She just got back Sunday after a week of spring break at home. For my personal sanity can we hope she doesn't get sent home?
Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

A perspective from Washington State
Old 03-10-2020, 06:17 PM

In a word, prepare! I have food and meds for 2 weeks. 1956BD reminded me I need to buy stamps. I am concerned, and do not feel that I'm overreacting. In my opinion we have not reached to peak and cases are increasing rapidly here. Sick kids with mild symptoms could be in my school, even in my classroom. By the time they find out, and close the school for cleaning, I could already be infected. Worse, I could pass the coronavirus on to others unknowingly! I want them to close schools. We should be proactive.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 03-10-2020, 08:06 PM

I am going about my life as I did before all of this craziness. I went to the NICU as usual and the hospital didnít have anything new except a sign about symptoms of coronavirus. I will continue living my life.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

NoElephants

Old 03-10-2020, 08:12 PM

Almost every store in my area looks like this now. Clorox, Lysol, Purell, hand soap, toilet paper...
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
NoElephants is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

panicking?
Old 03-11-2020, 01:36 AM

Hold on a second. If you think being prepared for limiting the amount of time people are in spaces that are crowded, then I guess you're thinking that all of the board of trustees, deans, superintendents, etc. are panicking when they've decided to shut down in-class learning for awhile. Is it really panicking when festivals/parades/shows/high school games have organizers following the CDC guidelines and deciding to shut things down for a while? They know they're losing a huge source of revenue so it's not being done without thinking carefully about it.

I don't call it panicking at all. I think it's being cautious in the face of a world-wide epidemic...hopefully a temporary epidemic while we wait for either the spread of the virus to be significantly reduced due to what might be perceived as panicking by some people. I agree that there are a lot of stupid people in the world, but I don't think they are the ones in charge of deciding whether to follow CDC guidelines or damn the virus, full speed ahead with holding on to money-making activities.

So, yes, I'm a bit perturbed by the idea of calling this an overreaction. Buying cases of toilet paper might be, but planning for distance learning for the next few months, staying away from large crowds, limiting the number of times one goes out to the stores, rethinking vacation plans is NOT panicking.

The problem we're dealing with is that we've been innudated with the idea that any news could be "fake news". It makes us skeptical and cautious about appearing dumb. And that's a problem right now. This virus is not in the same category. I personally don't think anyone can afford to have a "que sera, sera" attitude.

My health depends upon people being sensible about this epidemic. I'm over sixty and I have breathing/lung issues. But it's not just me who has to be cautious and think about what I'm doing. You all have to do the same so that this epidemic can be stopped or at least slowed down.

Pay attention to what the CDC is recommending. Don't second guess them.

Just my opinion. (And I'm sorry if I offended you. But I'm concerned; not panicked, but concerned.)
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

My Thoughts...
Old 03-11-2020, 03:10 AM

I don't think colleges are overreacting.

This time of year, many college students are anticipating spring break. They have plans to take a trip. Think about how many other people will come into contact with them and how they will travel to and from their destinations. While away, they will also be in large groups. That is a lot of germs.

When they return to their colleges, many will live in dorms or with roommates. How is that different than what is happening in Washington state with the high number of deaths in nursing homes?

I repeat...I don't think colleges are overreacting.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Prepping
Old 03-11-2020, 04:26 AM

We are on vacation in Florida. We do not get home until Thursday. Will there be TP left for us?? Probably do a regular shopping when we get home. We eat a mainly plant based diet so lots of beans and veggies. Most folks do not go for those types of foods. So we are probably good! We do have some food at home plus I just ordered a case of oranges...
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I'm torn
Old 03-11-2020, 05:20 AM

I want to be cautious but refuse to live afraid...

Colleges closing down or going online in Washington, New York and California just makes sense. Colleges were there are only 0-10 cases in the whole state seems premature...Montana, Oklahoma, etc.

I did buy a few things. I have always washed my hands often and sanitized my room but I have hit the room a little more often recently.

I have been more vigilant about the people near me but haven't changed much less.

Safety is a good thing. Panic helps nothing.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 03-11-2020, 08:04 AM

I'm totally exhausted from the constant coronavirus discussions. I'm in FL and as of today, there are 21 cases in the state. DH went on a field trip with our high school DS and said the two assistants on the trip were wearing masks.
I get that people should be careful and take precautions, but some people are putting their whole life on hold to seclude themselves.
I got really upset the other day - my friend and I bought tickets to a show in my city in a venue that seats about 1500 people. She told me she didn't think it was a good idea for us to go now. HOWEVER, she and her family are leaving for Walt Disney World the next day for a week which she isn't worried about in the least. I questioned her on that and she said "Oh, there's hand sanitizer all over the park". That's the type of thing that I don't get. Some people are really acting without any sense.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

What is over reacting???
Old 03-11-2020, 12:18 PM

Making our hospitals now put their sanitizer, gloves and masks in locked containers.

Yes, this is what has happened to our hospital since patients and those visiting them are stealing those essential items.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote