Is your district capable of going to 100% online if needed? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Is your district capable of going to 100% online if needed?

>

TexTeacher

Is your district capable of going to 100% online if needed?
Old 03-11-2020, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I read an article that said only about 20-30% of schools have the capability to go 100% online. My district already uses an LMS, (Canvas) so most teachers have a good deal of their content online. Our kids 4-12 all have Chromebooks so I think online would be doable for those grades. Not sure about the younger kids or what the plan would be for those without Internet. I would say probably 80-90% of our students have Internet so I’m not talking about a ton of kids.

How would your district do if you have to move to online?

TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-11-2020, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't see how online learning works for primary aged students. Secondary, sure. Maybe upper elementary if the students are responsible. How does a Kindergarten student learn online? They would need a responsible adult there monitoring them and helping them through everything in person. That's not going to be the case for many of our students regardless of the technology. I also wonder about severe/profound needs sped students. How do those students learn online?
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 03-11-2020, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No. Not a chance.

I've been pondering what to send home with my kindergartners (although my district will likely put something together).

We've done "blizzard bags" before which were packets.

I'm in a large urban district. Almost half of the parents at our school have a native language other than English. Many of our students don't have computer access at home.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-11-2020, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Nope. We have too many kids without technology or internet available at home. I also can't imagine going with online learning for my kindergartners.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Not really
Old 03-11-2020, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have a large district of about 190,000 students. Monday will be a teacher workday so that we can be trained and plan for distance learning. I’m elementary and even in school we have about one laptop for every three students. We’ll know more about what is expected on Monday, but any potential distance learning won’t count as school days for students anyhow.

tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-11-2020, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We’re not. Some of our teachers don’t even have Google Classroom set up, many of our students do t have access to internet and, like others have mentioned, our k-2 kids aren’t 1:1 so I don’t know what they’d do.

This is a perfect example of education being reactive rather than proactive.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 03-11-2020, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Not even close. We are 4-1 for technology in school and many kids dont have computers at home. When I give them the option to do their homework online on 3 do. When I offered to let them play math games online for homework (I can see their minutes spent and I required 15 minutes-and I can see their correct and incorrect answers and assign specific content) Only about half didnt do and the other half still did the paper and pencil homework. They say they don’t have access to computers at home or mom and dad won’t let them use the family computer-nope, not even for homework. So done with computers I am sure still would refuse to participate in distance learning.

There is no way for some of the kids to do online school online.

If I made up a paper packet I am guessing that only half would do them. Every year I get a 4-5 independent study requests for students going on long vacations and none of them, yes you read that right I said 0 of them in the last for years, have ever complete the independent student packet even though they requested it.

Distance learning would never work here.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 03-12-2020 at 03:29 AM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-11-2020, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are 1:1 Chromebooks in grades 8 to 12. Not all of our students have at-homeminternet, but the majority either do have it, know someone nearby who does and will allow them to come over and use it, or will run a device from a phone hot spot. We use paper, pencil, books for kids without internet.

I’m not sure what they are doing in grades 7 and below. We were told to prepare for 10 days.

DH’s district does non-traditional days for snow days. They don’t have 1:1 devices at his school, and not all kids have internet. They put things online and the kids without it do it when they return.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 03-11-2020, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The situation here is 1-1 PK-12, and it is a Google Education district. However, it is in only one of six districts serving children in my city and the only one that is truly 1-1. A couple of the other districts are 1-1 due to BYOD. BYOD doesn't work at home for those that lack a device.

I think the biggest issue is going to be internet access. The city has been working to establish a free public wi-fi system, but it's far from bring fully established.

Google Classroom can download assignments for offline use, but that requires the kids going somewhere with Wi-Fi to do the downloading.

To me, this is going to increase the spread of the disease. It's a counterintuitive over reaction. These kids won't be staying home. They’ll be out in public. More people out and about = more chances for contamination.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Online learning
Old 03-11-2020, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

As a kinder teacher, online learning definitely would not be ideal. That said, my school is making plans + we will use skype & our online subscription websites if we need to. All of my kiddos this year have internet at home, fortunately. I would also send home booklets for them to work through. I would probably make regular phone calls to provide as much support as possible. For this age group, how helpful that will be depends almost entirely on their parents. I really feel for the ones who work in emergency services or other jobs where staying home with their children will not be an option.

To me it's far from awesome but it's also not a huge deal. We have lots of online public schools in Australia- called 'Schools of the Air' that service remote areas, so we know it can be done.

ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

District vs. school
Old 03-12-2020, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Not sure if our district could go 100% online but I know our school (high school of 2,000 kids) could. In our school we also use an LMS (Canvas) and most of our high school classes are able to use it for their content area. Our classes like auto and welding would have to make some adjustments and we are a 1:1 school as well. It's pretty rare in our school to find a household that doesn't have internet. It could be done for our school, just not something I would like to try!

I wonder how the districts are going to take care of children with no food in the home and rely on the daily breakfast and lunch they get.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 03-12-2020, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Nope. Less than 35% of our families have internet access at home. We are very rural so they can't even go to McDonalds to use it because the closest one is 25 miles away.

Maybe this situation will open the eyes of public and politicians as to the state of education funding.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 03-12-2020, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

teabreak I have an idea as to how the good can be handled. Our district provides free breakfast and lunch to all students and has a system in place to do so pretty much 365 days a year. During all school breaks, our district uses school buses to essentially do a Meals on Wheels type service. I would imagine that in the event of a closure, the district will roll out the buses.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Nope-
Old 03-13-2020, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

While we are 1:1 iPads, not all students take their tablet home. The parents want them kept at school because of the financial responsibility to replace it if damaged.

Then, add in that not all our families have Internet for various reasons. It kind of defeats the purpose if kids have to go to Starbucks for Internet.

I also agree with those who mention that littles can't really do distance learning.

I teach 5/6, and I don't that all my kids could really learn anything worthwhile that way. They still REALLY need the personal interaction.

AND... Will the state dept. of ed. cancel standardized testing???
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 03-13-2020, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My district would not be able to—
All of our middle and high schools are 1:1 with computers and utilize Canvas for everything already.
However, only about 1/3 of our elementary schools are 1:1, my school is not. I have no idea what they will do if we have to close.

At this point, my state is considered “low risk” and I don’t know if they would close unless we have signs of community spread. Currently, all of our cases are travel related.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 03-13-2020, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

No. We are low socioeconomic and not 1:1.
okteach is offline   Reply With Quote