Not exactly the entrance to this group that I'd planned... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Retired Teachers

Not exactly the entrance to this group that I'd planned...

>

chalkdusty

Not exactly the entrance to this group that I'd planned...
Old 03-17-2020, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my retirement year. As I walked out of my classroom this afternoon, the reality that this day is probably my last in the classroom really hit home. Virus shutdown until April 6th. Then they'll access and decide further plans. In the meantime, we are not to send any work home. Our state department of education has to approve our plan first. That will take time. Meetings will take place next week to plan. Heck of a way to end a career.

chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

same boat
Old 03-17-2020, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Me too! I cried all day on Monday during staff meetings and grade levels. We are closed until April 6 as of now but word is it could be til the end of the year. We , however, have to prepare home instruction packets which is an incredible amount of work! And be on call from home to parents and students who need help with the work. Today I had emails from several families. What a way to end a career
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

This is a sad way to end a career
Old 03-17-2020, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But at least your students and you left school healthy. Hopefully everyone will stay that way.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Same boat here!
Old 03-17-2020, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I left for Spring Break on March 7th I had no idea this was going to happen. I am gonna try so hard to end the year online on a positive note.

We are starting online school next week. Tomorrow we get our marching orders.

For now, I am taking time to do healthy stuff like reading, laughing with family and taking long walks outside.
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

musiclover

Another scenario
Old 03-17-2020, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am sad for all of you who won't finish the school year and get a chance to do things with your students 'for the last time.' Or, to say goodbye to those you work with.

But, retirement is so worth the years you put in and you will still enjoy it, no matter how you get there!

Also, on this board there are retirees who....

Retired quietly, with no notice to anyone until the last day (me).
Retired in a fit of exhaustion and exasperation during the summer (a friend).
Retired early and unexpectedly to take care of a sick spouse (another friend).
Retired during the school year because of health issues (many friends).

Plan your own celebration now while you have time. Look forward to the summer when you won't have to go to workshops or learn new curriculum. Best of luck as you cross the finish line any way you can.

musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

NCBound

Old 03-18-2020, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In the same boat with the rest of you. Left school last Wednesday for Spring Break after a wonderful day with the kids. Found out last night that we are shut down through April 15, and after that who knows what. I was so sad last night! I LOVE my kids this year and was having the BEST year ever as my last year!

At least my county is trying to do the right thing compared to some of the things I'm reading here. They're not giving out a lot of information but so far we know that we have no school responsibilities this week or next and we are getting paid for those days. They are telling us we will be going to online learning but as of now the county admin is putting together whatever we will be using. They are saying they will give the teachers input when they have it together. Based on what I'm hearing from other states/counties I'm very grateful for my county right now.
NCBound is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

musiclover
Old 03-18-2020, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I really did not want any type of attention at the end of the year. I just want to go quietly.

I think this way will be less emotional. Saying goodbye is hard for me.

But, I will be busy with online school instruction for the time being.
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigercat

same here
Old 03-19-2020, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yup, I'm feeling the same way. If I had known the day before spring break was going to be my last one, I might have taught better. We had an early release day, so not much teaching going on that day.

Oh well. . .. . I'm still helping my team muddle through this mess. I had about 20 more days to take off (our district doesn't give us anything for days you never used), so who knows what will happen.

But that's the least of my worries. . ...just praying my son and hubby don't get furloughed, praying my flight attendant friend doesn't get laid off, praying for the elderly I know that stay healthy. .. . .and the list goes on and on.

Such interesting and sad times for all. . . but I will continue to be hopeful and make the best of a terrible situation.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-19-2020, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

chalkdusty! Congratulations! Maybe not the entrance you wanted, but itís a great place to be. Hooray for you, glad youíre here!
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Old 03-19-2020, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

No matter how you got here, we're happy to have you! I know I'd feel sad having anticipated "the last time I teach XYZ," but as someone else said, thank the Lord you and your students are healthy. As for your students, they might still want to make you cards or contribute to a gift. Knowing those PTA moms, that could be in the pipeline, but even if it isn't, know you gave them the best you have and at some point in their lives they'll think back on you and your time together. In any case, stay healthy and welcome to the happiest board on PT!

anansi is offline   Reply With Quote