Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

On a scale of one to ten, is this the worst,

>

Clarity

On a scale of one to ten, is this the worst,
Old 03-21-2020, 03:37 PM

objectively worst, experience of your life? I have been trying to think if I felt this way in the sixties about the political upheavals. There were times I was in despair over the future, not overly extended, but real. I wanted to gauge my level of discomfort without giving in to the emotional undertow, much of which I am picking up from others. I am not 100% certain that I know everything I should know. How do others feel? I keep thinking about watching the tsunamis hit Japan and Indonesia. That is how quickly events seem to be unfolding. I am finding it difficult to go about my daily business (what little of it there is available) and simultaneously look at the big picture. Cognitive dissonance.

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 03-21-2020, 03:44 PM

Yes, I would say it is definitely one of the worst. The inability to see family and friends and the inability to touch almost anyone is unsettling. The questions about when it will end and when it does end, will we ever get back to normal? And the invisibility of our enemy is scary.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 03-21-2020, 03:47 PM

I remember being pretty scared during the end of the Cold War. Duck and cover practice in high school caused most of that. But this is by far the worst and most stressful time that I can remember.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 03-21-2020, 03:50 PM

During my lifetime, yes this is the worst.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Not sure
Old 03-21-2020, 03:52 PM

I definitely felt much worse when President Kennedy was assassinated and when the Twin Towers were burned. The Viet Nam War was a daily fear to me as a child. This experience is definitely stressful, but I don't seem to feel the same level of fear I had during the previous experiences I mentioned.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

steach

9/11
Old 03-21-2020, 04:00 PM

I had young children during 9/11 and remember feeling so helpless. I thought for sure we were in for a full scale attack. The fear, sadness and loss was so overwhelming. I just wanted to be with my family.

In high school our town was devastated by a tornado, many lives were lost and my school was destroyed. It was April and our school year ended. Our town was destroyed and the National Guard came in to keep looters out. It was a time of fear and sadness. Our lives changed forever.

I hate not being in control of situations. I keep thinking..."How is this happening?" I wake up in the mornings and for a few brief moments everything is right in the world, and then i remember what's going on.

At first we had the news on constantly. I have purposefully turned OFF the news. I think that for every negative news story, there should be two positives! Unfortunately, the negativity sells...
I have struggled too with every day tasks and motivation. That may be in part to a very stressful school year. I am choosing to think positively - I know we will come out of this.

Peace be with you~
steach is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 03-21-2020, 04:10 PM

It's right up there with 911. Like a previous poster, I too had young children during that time. This event seems different, more elongated, if that makes sense. I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I think thats because this is buding in our area now and we are all on edge waiting to see the outcome. It's a hard feeling to explain.

Last edited by all41; 03-21-2020 at 05:46 PM..
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 03-21-2020, 04:16 PM

Not even close to the worst, by a long shot.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 03-21-2020, 04:21 PM

No, it hasn't made it to the top 10 yet. This event will still have to surpass 2 500 year floods that affected both home and school, a volcano blowing, a potential ovarian cancer diagnosis, being told I can't hug my grandkids and the death of my brother - the relative that understood me the best.

Time will tell, but it's not the worst yet.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 03-21-2020, 04:27 PM

I think 9/11 was the worst I remember. I have been affected by other world events, but like 9/11, this one scares me. We learned today the number of cases in the country is much higher than we thought. I can stay home but my husband is an "essential" worker as a trucker who delivers food to grocery stores. Of course there are the kids and the grandkids... So much to worry about. I try not to live in fear, but that's where I am right now.

twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-21-2020, 04:29 PM

Personal family worst no. Global worst....yes Right up there with 9-11 . The SF earthquake and Challenger disasters rank pretty high as well but not as high as this current ongoing problem exacerbated by a weak federal government. That means we don't have one steady and consistent policy of containment at all.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 03-21-2020, 04:30 PM

For me personally, no itís not the worst. For the nation itís probably the most far reaching situation Iíve seen but we wonít know for awhile how bad it is. I wasnít alive during WWII or the Depression but my parents were and Iíve heard many stories. Those times were very difficult and lasted for years. Iím still optimistic that with the entire world working on the crisis, this will not have that same impact. Only time will tell.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 03-21-2020, 04:46 PM

My worst still has to be the non-stop earthquakes and lava bubbling up in the middle of neighborhoods from our last eruption. This is more deadly than the lava, but the lava and earthquakes felt worse.

For me this compares with hurricane Lane, we were stuck inside overeating feeling like the storm would never ever ever stop, at least things arenít as humid and wet right now. It also kind of reminds me of of post 911, that moment when the whole world felt the same thing at the same time.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Is this the worst
Old 03-21-2020, 04:55 PM

Personally, no. Why ? I was on the Bay Bridge during the 1989 San Francisco earthquake. It took me 24 hours to get home. I had a 2 year old and could barely care for her. My DH pulled the plug on the TV so I would stop watching.

It took me weeks to recover.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

911 was horrible and the worst
Old 03-21-2020, 05:04 PM

event to that point in my life. But this is worse because it is worldwide.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Imo
Old 03-21-2020, 05:08 PM

personally, not even close. For my global or nationwide view, maybe in the top 3.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-21-2020, 05:12 PM

I also think that the constant media coverage is contributing to it. If we had Facebook, Twitter, etc during Kennedyís assignation or ĎNam how would that have affected those events?

I think this is bad only because of the extreme lengths the government is going to, but I found 9/11 much more upsetting because it was an attack on the country that came out of nowhere.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-21-2020, 05:28 PM

This is going to sound weird, but for me personally this is the kind of crisis that brings people together, obviously not physically, but we have a common goal. Of course deaths and illness are awful, of course the economic dive has caused and will cause a plethora of problems, but I have faith in Americans. I believe this will bring us together and we will overcome. So, not my worst.

For me, again personally, the worst was the 15 months I was the caregiver for my husband of 42 years, watching the man I loved succumb to cancer and dementia. I was living in an alternate universe, alone and afraid. It was truly terrible 24/7 and I was without hope.

Today I have hope.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

not the worst
Old 03-21-2020, 05:32 PM

The flooding that we experienced in Louisiana in 2016 was much worse than this. Almost 110,000 homes flooded in my area. Countless friends and family members flooded and there was literally nowhere for anyone to live. My subdivision was one of the few that didn't flood. We all had friends/family living with us for months because there was nowhere for them to go. The recovery/rebuilding lasted for years. I personally knew hundreds of people who flooded but I don't know soul who has this virus.

I guess that sounds ver callous but it's how i feel.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 03-21-2020, 05:36 PM

Honestly I don't know yet. I'm scared. We will see I guess.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

Personally, no
Old 03-21-2020, 05:54 PM

As of now, all of my family is safe, have what they need, and are healthy.

If any of those things changed, then my answer would be different.
Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-21-2020, 06:08 PM

That's an interesting question to ponder, isn't it?

I think the scope of it, the worldwide effects, in some ways makes it the worst.

But right now I just feel inconvenienced, which I know sounds super heartless. I'm not one to worry or stay glued to the news. Right now my family is healthy and together. I've spent more time with my kids this last week than I have in years. And I'm lucky to live in a beautiful place where I can go outside and walk on the beach or hike in the hills and still be away from people. I'm very lucky in that way.

Fires and mudslides were scarier, but so much smaller in scale. Seeing friends go off to war was harder because it felt more immediate.

Money is going to be a huge issue for us very very soon, but we've had that happen many times and it always seems to work out.

Worst? I don't know. I guess that remains to be seen.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 03-21-2020, 06:08 PM

Personally, it isnít the worst for me. 9-11 was scarier to me. The worst period in my life would be the years spent TTC and having multiple miscarriages. Those were hard times. Looking back, I spent a lot of that time in a fog, constantly grieving what we couldnít have. I can honestly say that experience helps me in times like these. It has helped me to stay more positive knowing it could be worse.

For me, Iím currently worried about people who have lost jobs or are currently without work, small businesses that are suffering, and my students who I know donít have a good support system at home. There are bigger worries that cross my mind, too, but I try to focus on the positive. Donít get me wrong, Iíve been stressed and emotional this week. Itís just not the worst.
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 03-21-2020, 06:10 PM

Since I am only in my younger 30s, the only large event similar is 9/11. I was in high school and lived very close to Johnson Space Center. That affected our community largely.
Also when Space Shuttle Columbia exposed. That one was hard too.

This one is different. Iím a mom now and so Iím more worried about my kids and my parents.

I too am not watching the news much and I am trying to stay busy with other things. But it is a struggle!
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 03-21-2020, 06:19 PM

Not at all, or even close. Watching one of your children almost die tops this by far. Iím in my nice, safe home with food, heat, water, electricity. I have a job and still getting paid. I could go one and on. Iíve lived on raw emotion before and this is not it. Iím making the best of my time at home.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 03-21-2020, 06:22 PM

I think, like others, this ranks up with 9/11. This is across the world though so it feels different. At least with 9/11, I don't remember the panic on the stores. We weren't confined to our homes. Life went on, unless you lived in NYC. So, in a way, this is harder than 9/11 as it is affecting me more. With 9/11, my sons were younger and living at home. Now they are grown. I can't see my DGD. My oldest DS is a police officer on the streets and who knows whom he will encounter each night. My middle DS is a med student living out of state that was exposed to C-19 at a conference and has been sick since. He is feeling better today but still tired. Youngest DS is a teacher like me.

Difficult times but...I feel like Amiga...we will come together and overcome this.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-21-2020, 06:43 PM

This is absolutely the worst. I was a child during 9/11. I remember being sad about it, but it didn't impact my daily life at all. I still had all of my friends and family around me and all normal routines continued. I wasn't old enough to worry about bigger implications. I remember the surge of patriotism that happened afterwards and feeling proud to be an American.

I can't remember anything in my lifetime that has impacted the entire world like this and totally disrupted our daily lives. We had conferences in February and one of my parents asked me if we would do "teleschool" as news about the coronavirus was just starting around that time. I remember laughing at the absurdity of schools in the US just closing and doing "teleschool." Well, here we are.

I also would have never expected to have the experience of walking into a grocery store and seeing the shelves wiped clean of food. That was extremely unsettling. Not to mention the hoards of people who just lost their jobs in an instant. While I'm extremely fortunate to still be getting paid (although not as much, because my tutoring job is gone), I have significant worries about the long term economic impact of this. And being told to isolate in our homes for who knows how long. Months? 1.5 years until a vaccine is developed? Wondering if what's happening in Italy with the hospitals will happen here? The not knowing how much worse this could get is the worst.

If in a month things start opening back up and the numbers getting the virus are being managed, I could see looking back on this and thinking it was a scary time but not the worst thing. The issue is that I don't think that's what we're in for at all. I don't see how we can shut down the country for months and months (or longer) and ever come back from that. Yet we are being told if we don't do that, millions will die. Absolutely the worst situation I've ever experienced.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Worst experience
Old 03-21-2020, 07:06 PM

Since I'm 68 I vividly remember the assassination of JFK and how frightening it was. And 9-11 still fills me with horror, sadness, and anger. I've been through cancer surgery, chemo, and radiation, and I've had dear friends die far too young.

But this COVID19 situation feels worse. It reminds me of the many stories my mother told me about WW2, the rationing, the blackouts, etc., and the fear of death and the terrible enemy. It also makes me think of the Black Plague that devastated much of Europe centuries ago. It was for them an invisible illness that randomly selected its victims which is somewhat similar to C-19 in our times. I worry about getting ill myself and about my dear friends and family, many of whom are over sixty, and I worry about all those who've lost their jobs and the businesses that are closed. And we don't know when this nightmare will end. That's the scariest of all to me.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 03-21-2020, 07:09 PM

No- to me this hasnít been too bad- I think I still just feel like the whole thing is very surreal. I think because we do have control over it- we can choose to follow guidelines and remain safe. Other experiences that were more traumatizing were ones out of our hands.

9/11 was terrible, especially living outside of DC, having a parent that worked at the pentagon.

As a child, Columbine was hard- I was in middle school, and I think itís when I stopped being so naive.

VA tech shooting was terrible- I was at UVA, my sister was at Tech. Being on the phone with her as she was on lockdown, not knowing who the shooter was, and unable to locate her friends.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 03-21-2020, 07:56 PM

It's not close to being over yet, but I think this is the worst. Hand said everything I was thinking.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Pretty bad
Old 03-21-2020, 07:56 PM

Bad, but not a 10... yet. I think that the longer this continues, the worse it will be. Watching how it has progressed in Italy is frightening.
SusaninNJ is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 03-21-2020, 08:03 PM

I think in some ways this is worse because it involved much of the world not just the United States or New York City like 911.

I feel like 911 made a bigger impact for those who lived in New York City. In Chicago, people were a bit frightened and some activities were cancelled for a day or two, but school was never cancelled and we mostly went about our daily lives.

This virus thing has stopped everyoneís life. Schools closing for weeks and maybe the rest of the year, restaurants and everything else shutting down. Jobs lost as a result. There seems to be more at stake here than just the lives that have been lost to the virus and the whole situation will affect everyone in some way, not just those who catch the virus.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-21-2020, 08:26 PM

As far as something that seriously changed my everyday life in a huge way for a long period of time, yes. Personally, no. Iíve been way more freaked out by one of my personal health issues and by seeing my parents go through cancer diagnosis. Mentally, this is unsettling, but I havenít dwelled on this as much as I dwelled on an issue at our school with a pedophile and a student suicide around the same time. I still think about that, and it was about 10 years ago.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Old 03-21-2020, 08:58 PM

I feel similar to Rubytunes.

Personally, I almost lost a child to leukemia, lost my mother as a child, had abuse in my first marriage, have had many losses, etc. So no, this is not as bad, so far, as what I have already endured.

I remember JFK being shot, was in church when I heard MLK had been assassinated, lived a mile from the rioting afterwards, and most everyone mentioned the others. My mom often talked about the Great Depression.

However, we have never had a time where the whole world just shut down like this. Not even World War 2 when they had to keep their lights off at night due to the bombings. Right now I’m cozy in my home but I really don’t see things going back to normal for a really long time.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

No
Old 03-21-2020, 10:54 PM

Having my mom die 10 days after a cancer diagnosis and being at the passing, then planning her funeral with my dad who “thought he would go first” has been the absolute worst time in my life.

Being eight months pregnant when 9/11 hit was pretty traumatic, too,

The Bay Area earthquake in 1989 was scary also.

Asking me to stay in my warm house with running water and electricity seems reasonable. (most of the time). I agree with it and social distancing and understand why. I know this will eventually pass. Didn’t say it’s easy all the time or that I enjoy it — but it’s certainly not in my top worst experiences, but a memorable one.
Gogogo is online now   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 03-22-2020, 03:28 AM

Iím a New Yorker, 9/11 was much worse for me. Lots of city cops and firefighters live in my area and my brother was a cop at that time and another brother worked in lower Manhattan and my sister and her husband were on a plane and were supposed to be headed to California. They sat on the tarmac unable to use their phones for hours. We had no idea if they were alive or dead.

There are things we can do in this situation.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 03-22-2020, 04:58 AM

For my own personal life, not my worst moment. It is the third on my list. I lost a dear nephew to drowning, my teenage son had a tumor removed which destroyed his hip and he underwent a total hip replacement....this is third. All of these instances happened in the last four years. I do feel stronger going through this situation because I have learned that even when you feel like your world is falling apart and ending....hope prevails and so does love. Situations like this change people too. Mostly for the better because we learn to value each day and value the relationships we have. Five years ago, I was a TOTALLY different person and not for the better.
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Nope
Old 03-22-2020, 05:36 AM

No, this is not the worst experience of my life. Being diagnosed with cancer followed by surgery, chemo, and radiation was much more stressful for me.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 03-22-2020, 07:40 AM

This is most definitely unsettling and scary, but I have been through some personal situations that felt worse.

My first marriage fell apart in a spectacular way 25 years ago. My son being diagnosed with autism at age 3.........and ALL the fun that has gone with that for the last 14 years.......... has definitely been challenging on a daily basis. Now if this thing goes on in any kind of really extended fashion, the autism mixed with the quarantine might put me in a mental institution when all is said and done.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Thank you for so many heartfelt and sincere
Old 03-22-2020, 08:33 AM

responses.

For me, my kids' dad's brain injury at age 30 really knocked me for a loop, so that will forever be No. 1 for me. Serious medical emergencies with both of my children are also up there.

I have read a ton about the Russian Revolution and WWII, and all of the trauma, separation, food shortages, fear, that went along with them.

Although half of the identified cases in the U.S. are in NY, I still feel fairly safe tucked up here in Northern NY. Just got back from grocery store, where there seemed to be plenty of everything. Surprisingly, most of the shoppers looked to be sixty or over. Guess we are not good at following directions.

Everyone in my family is either working from home or laid off. And we thought 2019 was a trial.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote