Just curious. Anyone afraid of pay cuts? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Just curious. Anyone afraid of pay cuts?

>

heart4kids

Just curious. Anyone afraid of pay cuts?
Old 03-22-2020, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We received an email that promised full pay through March 30th. It was then pretty vague.

heart4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 03-22-2020, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What does your contract say?
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Pay
Old 03-22-2020, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

By contract, we will be paid. The money is budgeted, and we are still “working,” even if it is in an unconventional way.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

molly71

Old 03-22-2020, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am not worried about my pay for the rest of this school year, however we are in the last year of a 3-year contract. I am concerned as to how this will affect negotiations between our union and board of ed., particularly when it comes to the salary guide and step increases.
molly71 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 03-22-2020, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Molly71, I hear your concern, but schools aren't losing income over this so maybe there won't be much of an impact on the new contract - especially if school starts as scheduled in the fall.

sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 03-22-2020, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our governor said all districts will pay regular employees through the closure (currently scheduled to end 4/28) and may ask employees to provide learning and support (meal handout, child care for essential workers, etc.)

I'm assuming that means the requirement to pay could change when the closure is updated to last past 4/28, but I'm hopeful it won't.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Getting paid
Old 03-22-2020, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We were told that we would all get paid...salary and hourly.

However, I work at a Catholic School, and I know administrators, especially our finance person, is really stressed over this. With masses cancelled, church giving will be significantly down most likely, so will the parishes still send the Catholic schools their supplement? With kids not going to school, even though we are providing work, will parents still pay tuition? Will parents be able to afford to tuition if they are off of work, have hours cut, etc.? It's definitely a concern, even though we were told not to worry.

I'm just taking it day by day. I'm not going to worry. It's going to do no good and things keep changing day by day. It will all work out in the end.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-22-2020, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am not worried at all about being paid regularly through the end of this year. We are under contract and can't just be "laid off" at random. However, I tutored after school and I'm not getting paid for that anymore, since it's not happening. That was about an extra $400-600 per month after taxes, depending on how many days we had off that month.

I also have MAJOR concerns about our budget moving forward. I am already in a state with abysmal educational funding, and I feel like we are all going to lose big with the economic impacts of this virus/shutting everything down. The sad irony is that we had a statewide rally planned at the capitol for last week (planned for months) to ask for more money as the legislative session was beginning. My state has (had) an extremely strong economy yet education wasn't getting any of that money. Now there is going to be no money to be had for anyone. My P had told us that she supported the rally and that we all needed to go, and that we were "screwed" if we didn't get more money. Of course the rally was cancelled and now the entire economy is going to tank.

I am very afraid of what that looks like moving forward. We had two really good teachers resign this year due to money concerns/being able to make far more in other states. Will they cut salaries? Positions? Both? We are already all stretched incredibly thin. There were already budget cuts happening before this. One of the major points for our rally was that they started taking money away from the education budget in the recession, and had never paid that back/continued to take more even though we're no longer in that. I don't see how we survive another recession, probably much worse than the first one.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Same
Old 03-22-2020, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I’m in the same boat, Teacherbee. I hope we even survive this at all.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Money
Old 03-23-2020, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Like PP, I am confident I will be paid through the end of this school year and over the summer (not an option to not get a check in the summer).

We still have a couple more weeks until our RIF deadline, but that will impact next school year.

My state has struggled with educational funding in the past and we just signed a two-year contract with the good faith that we would get more money in two years.

I don't see that happening now and we did not get back the pay cut that teachers took when the money was not there before.

I am hoping it might just be like 2008. Teachers who expected to retire, will not retire, class sizes will get larger and capital improvements will be put on hold.

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

1totravel

Old 03-29-2020, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Schools are still receiving ADA money so all teachers are still ensured of getting paid.
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote