Help

BusyBoard

Assessments in Distance Learning

>

puzzle1mom

Assessments in Distance Learning
Old 03-31-2020, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would love to know what/how everyone is going to do assessments during this time of distance learning.

I am teaching 6th grade math and 99% of my program (including assessments) can be done online. But I can say with 99.9% certainty that there will be a handful of students who will cheat. They will use Mathways or they will use something called Photomath. I have one student who has made it his mission this year to find workarounds for absolutely everything we do.

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Well
Old 03-31-2020, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

These are weird times. Focus on what you can control. That is not something you can control. Most have bigger things to worry about than cheating anyway.

Trust your kids. Grace before grades. It will all work out - and otherwise, their actions only hurt them.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Some ideas
Old 03-31-2020, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My first piece of advice is echoing the previous poster. You can't control it unfortunately.

My second piece of advice might be some work on your end and still might not completely prevent it, but instead of giving the test through your textbook software, you could make it into a Google Form Quiz. There is an option when you do that to "lock the screen" or something to that effect. This prevents them from opening another window while working on the quiz. Now, they could use another device to look up the answers, they could use their cell phone, etc. but this at least tries to prevent it as much as you can control.

A third option would be to require them to show their work. You could assign the test as a PDF that they open in Kami and can write on it, so you can see that they showed their work. Or, you could have them take the test with your online program and show their work on a separate sheet of paper and then have them or a parent take a picture of it and e-mail it to you. They still may cheat, but at least you have the work. Even if they look up the answer, if they have to show their work, they are still having to do something! Even if the online site gives them the work and they just copy it, my guess it is still sinking in...granted I'm totally not saying it's right by any means, but they are bound to learn something or have it sink in with all of that copying.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-31-2020, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For math, Edulastic is fantastic. You can pick the questions and DOK levels. It connects to GC and gives the kids their scores immediately.

I love it.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Eduastic
Old 03-31-2020, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Edulastic
Is Edulastic free? Do students need accounts or can they sign in with Google? I'd like to try it, but I don't want my students to have another username and password when I can't see them face to face.

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Nnaammee

Probably just use Google Sheets.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Use google sheets? But I have a question. I think it should be a simple answer. Should be very simple - not require Java Script coding. I want to send practice multiple choice assignments to students. The sheets will give random numbers for each problem so students can discuss how to do problems, but will have to figure out their own answers. I want to use google sheets just like I've done with Excel. (Our school is giving out Chrome Books to everyone, so they won't have Excel.) When students complete, they click a finish button which simply sends their name and grade to my email. What is the very simple way to have google sheets send only the name and grade? (I don't need Google Forms as students work their algebra 2, chemistry and physics problems out on paper to show all work, take a picture and send that separately for an effort grade.)
Nnaammee is offline   Reply With Quote