Do you have essential workers in your fam? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do you have essential workers in your fam?

>

Claire

Do you have essential workers in your fam?
Old 03-31-2020, 05:02 AM

My dh works in law enforcement and my ds works in a restaurant (although his hours are slashed), but his college has gone online for the rest of the year. I worry about them coming into contact with a lot of people.

I also think my husband doesn't "get" how much mine and my dd lives have changed because he's still doing the same thing every day.

Last edited by Claire; 03-31-2020 at 05:23 AM..
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 03-31-2020, 05:08 AM

Ds works in a tire place. Transportation is considered essential. He is in frequent contact with the public and is concerned. I think his boss is out of town, and the second in command doesn’t want to take measures. Ds has decided to take some vacation time till the big boss comes back.

Dsil is in construction. He’s on a big job. Since he does drywall and painting he is usually in a room by himself, which is good. Construction is also listed as essential in NH.

Dd is caring for Jai...also essential!

I live alone and have been staying away from my family.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 03-31-2020, 05:17 AM

My DH works for the DOD on the AF base here. Same base where they held people from cruise ships in quarantine. At least he never came into contact with them and he does work outdoors and not in a close group with coworkers. I do worry about him still. I have him set up with wipes, gloves, hand sanitizer, and he has an AF issued N95 mask. I remind him every morning to make sure he is thinking about his safety as it keeps me safe too.

I’m sorry for your worry about the proximity your DH and DS have with people daily. I get it.

Have you seen this?

“I had no immune system for months after my bone marrow transplant. Here’s how I avoided viral illness, and how you can, too. It’s easier than you think.”

https://medium.com/@amcarter/i-had-n...t-1b097f16040c
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Working or Not
Old 03-31-2020, 05:21 AM

My husband I are both retired.

Sister and nephew working from home. My sister is a lawyer and her firm specializes in employment law. She is crazy busy telling firms what they legally need to do if someone that works for them contracts the Coronavirus.

My niece and son are busy at home with online college classes.

My older son is a restaurant night manager. His girlfriend works in a Natural Grocery. They are both busy essential workers.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 03-31-2020, 05:27 AM

Yes. My 22-year old DD works at PetSmart. Pet supply stores have been deemed essential. She is very upset, because the store is NOT taking ANY precautions. Their website says that they disinfect throughout the day, and provide their cashiers with hand sanitizer. DD said that they ran out of hand sanitizer a long time ago, so she brings her own daily.

Last week, PetSmart did try to take precautions: customers were met at the closed door by an employee, and asked what they were shopping for. If it wasn't "essential" (food, litter, medicine, etc.), they were turned away. They were also accepting online and curbside pickup orders. So if you wanted something that wasn't essential, you could still get it.....you just couldn't come inside the store.

But apparently, sales dropped sharply that week. So, they went back to their regular procedures.

DD says that families come in like it's a field trip to the see the animals. Bored groups of teenagers wander around. And worst of all, she said that the majority of their customers are elderly people. Paying with cash, coughing, standing too close to her, etc.

Her father and I told her to quit, and said that we would pay her rent (she just moved out of my house 4 days ago, into an apartment with her boyfriend). But she won't do it. So I'm consumed with worry every day.

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 03-31-2020, 05:29 AM

My husband is the parts manager at a car dealership. They are closed this week out of an abundance of caution (someone who tested positive was the building a few weeks ago) but plan to reopen next week. He's actually gone into work right now to check if his parts order arrived. He has some contact with the public and even though he is being careful I worry.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

essential workers
Old 03-31-2020, 05:33 AM

My DS is a postal worker who comes in contact with hundreds of people daily. He's also exposed to thousands of letters, mailboxes, and parcels that could possibly be contaminated. He's in and out of stores and offices where folks do not practice social distancing. He has no place to frequently wash his hands. I'm worried about him.

DIL works in a hospital as an outpatient physical therapist. She will be out of work at the end of the month because patients are worried about getting COVID19 aren't coming in for PT appointments. Her family is dependent on her income. She has a pre-existing condition that puts her at risk if she should get COVID19.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Yes
Old 03-31-2020, 05:35 AM

My DH works as a Director in Health & Human services. He is an essential worker. The day programs he oversees were closed 2 weeks ago by the state. Thankfully, his job at the moment is overseeing our county HQ for their group homes. So heís not in contact with anyone else much at all. However depending on the rate of this virus spreading and his direct care employees / individuals they care for contracting the virus depends on him working in the field and in residential group homes. As it is now, he wears a mask when in contact with anyone, changes his clothes in our garage, and we wash everything / he showers immediately when coming home.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 03-31-2020, 05:52 AM

Both of my grown children are considered essential workers. I am worried sick. My daughter has no health insurance. I've asked her to stay home, and I'll cover the bills. She is still working.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 03-31-2020, 06:00 AM

My stepson repairs surgical kits (screws, rods, surgical tools). They donít have much work because many surgeries have been cancelled. He is paranoid and doesnít want to work. I think he is lucky to have a job and if he gets sick he will recover. His plant is going to close next year so he needs to hang on to the job so he can get severance when they close.

My niece is a front line tester. My sister worries and wonít be able to see her for a long time.

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 03-31-2020, 06:02 AM

Yes. 7 members of my family are essential workers.
DIL is Public Health nurse, about to be re-assigned to COVID-19 Assessment Centre to do nose swabs (testing).
DS #2's partner/almost DIL -- Health Promoter currently doing the COVID-19 phoneline pre-assessments
Nephew #1 -- hospital physiotherapist
Nephew #1's DW -- hospital physiotherapist
Nephew #2 -- Manager of Water Department for well known tourist city
Nephew #3 -- Director of 240 bed nursing home and a Registered Nurse
Nephew-in-law -- lab technician/technologist in hospital lab

To say I am concerned is an understatement.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

Old 03-31-2020, 06:12 AM

My husband is in construction so is considered essential. He drives a concrete mixer so he's mostly outside and not really in close contact with others.

My older daughter works in a fast food place. They are pretty much low contact, but she hasn't worked in a week.

My son works the front desk at his apartment complex and is also considered essential..
Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 03-31-2020, 06:20 AM

Yes, my son in law works at a plant that manufactures, among other things, IV and blood bags. He works with a fairly small group of people (about 20) and they routinely try to maintain sanitary conditions. This affects me because we share the care of my grandson.

A couple of my extended family members are truckers but most are either teachers or in the building trades, so they're working from home or with small crews, often in open air.

I know I'm fortunate compared to many.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 03-31-2020, 06:25 AM

Yes, my DH works at a plant -- because they have government contracts, he is considered essential. He is actually working 10 hour days right now. I worry because they employ several hundred people and are taking few precautions.
JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

re: zipline's post
Old 03-31-2020, 06:25 AM

Good practical ideas.

Quote:
If youíre isolating at home, clean everything thoroughly once, and then continue to clean each surface that gets touched when someone enters or leaves the house. If you make a habit of washing your hands immediately upon returning home, you wonít have to keep wiping down everything in your house.
Especially this one. I am alone in my house and have been disinfecting several times a day. I need to remember that if no one has been in my house I do not have to do this.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Yes
Old 03-31-2020, 06:44 AM

My brother and niece live in Nevada. He works for a car parts business and she in the pot industry there.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Working
Old 03-31-2020, 06:48 AM

My husband and I are retired, and our 28 year-old special needs daughter lives with us. She is a CNA working for a home health care company. She provides housekeeping as opposed to personal care. She is careful to adhere to social distancing while at her clientís.

I am concerned, but she is doing everything possible. Iím disappointed that her company has not provided masks (she is using her own). She enters the house through her own door, strips, places the laundry in a separate bag, showers, and then launders the clothes. Every day. She has a new pair of shoes on order that will be worn only in her clientsí homes, spraying w Lysol upon departure. Right now she is spraying her shoes and leaving them in the doorway when she arrives home.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Workers
Old 03-31-2020, 06:52 AM

SIL with immune compromised system is in construction. One job site is a large apartment complex and they are still working. He is concerned because there is no running water on site. Porta potties with no hand sanitzer. He keeps a bottle in his pocket and wipes in his truck. He tries to keep distant of his crews.

DD is in banking/mortgages and is working from home. She has papers to authorize her travel because sometimes she needs to go into the office to do work on secured lines.

DS was brought home from Nigeria by his company and still in isolation. Works in transportation/fuel not sure what he'll be doing.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 03-31-2020, 07:38 AM

DH is considered essential. He works in finance for construction equipment. He has an office to himself. Most of his work is by phone or computer. He possibly could work from home but it would be very difficult. His office is literally across the road from our house. I can see into his office from my living room. He walks to work so he isnít going in gas stations etc. He comes home for lunch.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Empty Nester

Old 03-31-2020, 08:10 AM

DD works in a supervisory capacity for an inpatient mental health facility at Kaiser. She is 5 1/2 months pregnant and is considered high-risk due to having preeclampsia with her previous pregnancy. While she is otherwise healthy, I am very worried about her possible exposure to covid-19. She feels strongly that she must continue to work so as not to let her co-workers down during this crisis .Needless to say, DH and I feel that her first priority should be her health and that of her unborn child.
Empty Nester is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 03-31-2020, 08:56 AM

DH is a produce manager in a big grocery chain. Supermarkets have taken measures to protect the cashiers (distancing in lines and plexiglass barriers, but other than having DH wears gloves there is not much they can do - people will push his cart out of the way, or grab things from his cart and even come to him and complain . There is really nothing he can do. He is putting in 10 - 12 hour shifts When he gets home, he strips down, puts his clothes right into the washer and then takes a shower downstairs. I then Lysol his car and the entryway, etc.

I do worry about him since he just recovered from pneumonia about a week before it hit here.

I also have two BIL's and a SIL who are in the health care field. One is currently isolated at home waiting for his test results (it has been over a week now).
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 03-31-2020, 09:24 AM

Dh is a retired police officer and is now a school safety officer. Heís helping distribute the free lunches. Iím not too happy about it. He says they asked the safety officers because they are retired police and wouldnít say no. They were right.

Ds is a police officer.
Thank you to all the people still working!
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 03-31-2020, 10:21 AM

DS1 is a police officer.

DS2 is a med student (they are on hold for now but may head back into the hospital) (he's a 3rd year).
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 03-31-2020, 10:43 AM

DS1 - full-time National Guard - his main job is recruitment, but they have transitioned to locating and setting up drive-thru testing sites.

DS2 - Law enforcement - he is a criminal investigator, but thankfully the criminals seem to be obeying the shelter in place rules.

DIL2 - Surgical nurse - she works at an outpatient orthopedic surgery center and they are on an as-needed emergency basis.

Since DS2 and DIL2 often work at the same time, I help out by keeping DGS. I figure we aren't truly following the shelter in place rules because we have contact through DGS, but since school is closed there is no other choice.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-31-2020, 11:48 AM

My son works at a food place. No one else leaves the home for work. I've grilled my son on what types of precautions he (and they) take.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

My sweetie is a farmer. His life has not
Old 03-31-2020, 12:05 PM

changed one bit. He just does what he has always done. I'm kind of jealous. Also worried. My nephew is still working for a newspaper. I thought I would be getting more done, but it is almost as if I have gone into a semi-hibernation.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 03-31-2020, 12:16 PM

First of all, I will pray for our families who have essential workers. M DS is the assistant director of an elderly care center. They are taking every precaution they can.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-31-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I thought I would be getting more done, but it is almost as if I have gone into a semi-hibernation.
That's totally me.

I never considered my son an "essential worker" at the food place, but it is a job that's still operating.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-31-2020, 02:13 PM

My dh is an essential worker for a company that contracts with the U.S. Government. He is going into work at a slower time of day to avoid groups of people.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

monarchlover

Old 03-31-2020, 03:38 PM

Yes, and it gives me an ill feeling
DS~ county deputy ( lots of domestics this past week)
DD1~ ER nurse at huge hospital in city
DD2~ nurse @ smaller hospital in rural area
monarchlover is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 03-31-2020, 05:05 PM

My two teen age kids both work at the grocery store. Between the two of them, someone is there every day.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-31-2020, 06:16 PM

My husband is a PT. Although his working hours have been drastically reduced he still has to see post-op patients and anyone in acute pain.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 03-31-2020, 08:36 PM

My husband is a pharmacist, and my brother-in-law is a postal carrier.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Essential Workers
Old 04-01-2020, 05:35 AM

My son and youngest daughter are essential workers--son works for a credit union and daughter works for a bank. They are both tellers. DH also works for the credit union, but he is working from home like myself.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote