Help

BusyBoard

Kids with no internet?

>

SnowDays1

Kids with no internet?
Old 03-31-2020, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are you using for kids with no internet at home? We have to send a paper packet. Seems I'm just pulling stuff randomly.

SnowDays1 is offline   Reply With Quote

tatapatch

Old 03-31-2020, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We started off doing paper packets. Then our Tech dept decided that all the kids who don't have internet will get their chromebooks (1:1) and the tech dept will upload everything on them so that they can do all the work on google, offline. Then, when they return the chrome book, it should all submit. We shall see.
tatapatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-31-2020, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our district has been working with the local company to get all families internet access. We are also loaning devices to all families that don't have one. Until then we are doing paper packets as well.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Old 03-31-2020, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My district has handled all of the packets K-12. Since lunches are still being provided, parent can pick up work packets when they pick up lunch. My superintendent has also had all the district level coaches record ELA, Math, and Science lessons to be streamed on the district's website and local tv stations. Teachers can still assign work on google classroom and other platforms, but nothing is mandatory and can't be used for a grade.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 04-01-2020, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are doing paper packets for everyone right now. We were told it needed to be review for the time being, so I pulled materials for them for review. I am doing "theme" weeks for reading and writing - this week it is "Wild Weather" - that way there is some connection and things don't seem too disjointed!

We are a pretty rural area , so quite a few of our families do not have internet, as in the internet providers will not install poles on the less populated roads unless the residents pay for it.

choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

SoCalTeach

Old 04-01-2020, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our Grades 4-12 magnet school passed out hundreds of Chrome books on the last Friday before staying home. They also gave hotspots. One of the internet providers are working with homes that don't have internet.
SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

No internet
Old 04-01-2020, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Packets were handled at the district level and picked up at district office. They were also available online. Basic review stuff that ideally the kids could do without much supervision.

Now we are supposed to be up and running with remote learning by April 14.

Families without a device were given a district-owned device to use.

The local cable company has free internet for 60 days (must cancel after 60 days). That would last until about two weeks before school is out if families signed up right away. I believe teachers who needed it also got that offer.

Two cell phone companies are handing out hot spots or sending out hot spots on existing phones (not quite sure how that works).
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-01-2020, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We just send a paper version of whatever we send to the kids on Google Classroom. We made some adjustments. For instance if the kids watched a video on a topic, then did a quiz on Quizizz, we sent the no-internet kids an article similar to the video and printed a copy of the quiz.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote