Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

shopping report from the western front

>

sonoma

shopping report from the western front
Old 03-31-2020, 06:44 AM

I have been following the rules but I am on my last few rolls of tp so I had to go out.

Last week I tried Costco during senior hours and could not get near the parking lot. People lined up down the street.

Tried Target. Complete chaos. They allow seniors to bring a "helper". When the doors opened the young helpers ran past everyone and the tp was gone.

I decided to try Walmart today. Their senior hour is 6-7 am. I didn't want a repeat of Costco so I got there at 5 a.m. Still a line but not too bad. I was number fifty in line. I know that because they let in 50 at a time and I was the last one allowed in. I was able to buy tp and Walmart brand wipes (which I didn't expect). They had supplies of flour which our supermarkets have been out of since shelter in place started. By the time I got to the back of the store the tp was pretty sparse - except for the expensive cottonelle brand. No one seemed to want that. No hand soap, bleach or hand sanitizer. I also noticed they were out if ice cream.

I could not get elastic or pellon. All our fabric stores have closed and Walmart is the only place open that sells fabric type things. I have been making back up masks for the health providers but ran out of elastic. My community service days may be over.

New information I found out:

our Walmart is bringing in stock in small unmarked trucks

the senior mini van service has extended their hours to begin at 6 am so we can get to senior hour at the markets

I used self check out for the first time! The clerk was wiping the keypad after each person. No shoving or running. Everyone was polite.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

shopping
Old 03-31-2020, 06:59 AM

good idea using the self-checkout

Article today about people shopping with gloves and mask and then just dropping them in the parking lot for someone else to clean up. I'm thinking people could put in plastic bag and then throw away when they are done.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

Eastern Front
Old 03-31-2020, 07:03 AM

I went out yesterday when it was raining to shop for the first time in 8 days. Almost no one was in the store because of the storm.

You could get any and all fresh produce, gluten free items, deli meats, meats, & poultry. Eggs were available but there was a limit of 2 per customer. The store was out of TP, paper towels, yogurt, flour, regular rice, and most pasta.

Why yogurt? This is the second time this month it was not on the shelf. Coconut, soy, & oat yogurt are all available!
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 03-31-2020, 07:40 AM

It is so strange to me to hear of long lines, unstocked shelves, etc. in places around the country.

The only thing you can't find consistently here in my town is tp and hand sanitizer/wipes (which I don't use, anyway). However, twice this week, there has been tp available, so I can already tell things are improving.

Wonder if it has to do with rural vs. urban (?). Not sure, but am very thankful I don't have to worry about what you have to deal with! I'm sorry!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

shopping
Old 03-31-2020, 07:46 AM

This morning I got up at 5:15 to make senior hour, 6-7, at our WINCO. I was allowed in with the first 50 shoppers, many who weren't even 40. Finally, more people here are getting the distance thing as well as wearing gloves and masks. I was so disappointed with what was stocked. While some of the shelves had plenty, the things we needed were missing along with the illusive cleaning supplies that have gone the way of the unicorn. I noticed many items were on the wrong aisle. It wasn't worth the effort and I was not in a good mood.

Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 03-31-2020, 08:02 AM

I went out to two groceries yesterday. First time in several weeks. I've been doing curbside pickup, but they often didn't have what I asked for and the order pullers make one sweep and don't substitute without explicit instructions. I think things may be worse soon so I decided it was time to restock.

I was at one store during senior hours and the other during regular hours. No TP or sanitizing supplies, but everything else seemed fairly well stocked. Everyone was polite and distancing and I saw no signs of chaotic behavior. Employees were everywhere restocking as fast as they could. The checkers now have a piece of plexiglass between them and us. I realized how young and consistently friendly the checkers were.

It doesn't look like the old normal, but it was a very civilized new normal. I'm in a suburban area, one county away from Charlotte which has the largest number of Covid cases in NC.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 03-31-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I was allowed in with the first 50 shoppers, many who weren't even 40.
This makes me so mad. One of my good friends told me her plan was to go during senior hour to shop. She's not even 50! Her excuse was that she has a young kid and she is petrified of the virus. So am I - so is everyone - but you are not a senior and you are not immunocompromised! So selfish. I told her to go the hour after, but I doubt she listened to me.

I'm sorry you're dealing with lines and products out of stock. I'm in the midwest and although we are dealing with a fairly sizable outbreak, our shelves are stocked. I went yesterday early evening and could get everything I wanted, except pizza. They had pizza, just not the brand or the size I wanted, so I skipped it. It is weird to not get everything we want/expect at the store. We've been spoiled for so, so long.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Stores here...
Old 03-31-2020, 08:51 AM

No tp or bleach wipes anywhere. We have plenty of food so not too worried about that. Not sure when or where to will be back. We have enough, for now.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Stay Home; Save Lives
Old 03-31-2020, 09:20 AM

Just like with the use of handicapped parking permits, not all disabilities are visible. I'm positive there are people taking advantage of the shopping hours for seniors. However, in many cases the people qualify for reasons other than age--such as compromised immune system or pregnancy.

It's a difficult time and we need to be gentle with each other. That and "Stay Home; Save Lives"
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 03-31-2020, 09:31 AM

I went to Costcoís senior hour once. They were very firm on only allowing seniors, if you werenít born before 1960 you werenít getting in. But I wonít be going back. It was the biggest crowd of people Iíve ever seen at a store, the line stretched around the parking lot and down the street. Everyone had carts so there was at least some distancing but it definitely wasnít 6 feet. And they didnít even have TP!

I think itís better just to go at off times to avoid crowds, supplies seem to be hit or miss no matter when time you go.

PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

We went out this morning
Old 03-31-2020, 09:39 AM

for the first time in 2 1/2 weeks. We went of our local Costco soon after it opened.They sanitized all the carts and gave them out as you entered the store. The other shoppers were very considerate. They left a wide space between themselves and other shoppers. If they saw two shoppers in the aisle they would wait at the end for one of the shoppers to leave. Their was a limited supply of some items, and some things were out of stock, but I did get eggs and Clorox bleach. I was happy to see the lines on the floor that kept customers separated by more than 6 feet at checkout. They did protect their cashier by having plastic panels between customers and the cashier.
I was amazed to see that the Costco employees were as upbeat and happy as they were before the crisis.

*Sonoma-most arts and crafts stores are closed to the public, but they all are selling online. Maybe you could order the elastic and cloth online from different places like Michael's and JoAnn fabrics? My friend is sewing for the hospital workers and for health care providers. Her group is searching for elastic too.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 03-31-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I was allowed in with the first 50 shoppers, many who weren't even 40.
Many times the "senior" hour includes those who are immunocompromised or those who live with immunocompromised people.

DH has to let everyone in during senior hours due to the above fact and you can't ask if a person is.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-31-2020, 10:26 AM

Dh went to Costco yesterday. Very little wait, everything he needed was there (first TP we've seen in a month). Eggs, TP, bread, beans... all the stuff that was in short supply earlier.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

SoCal shopping experience
Old 03-31-2020, 11:31 AM

After two weeks staying home I ventured out to my local Albertson's supermarket and was actually pleasantly surprised. I was hoping eight o'clock and the last day of the month would be a good time. It wasn't crowded, and I was able to find everything I needed. Plenty of fresh produce, yay! There were even paper towels and tp available although there was a limit of one pack per customer. I scored a five pound bag of bread flour for a friend who bakes and couldn't find any previously. I will deliver it carefully at a distance, of course!

Everyone was pleasant and respectful of social distancing. As I checked out, I thanked the workers who helped me for their service. I was wearing a mask but they were unprotected and are on the front lines. So thankful that something I was dreading was a positive experience!

PS. I was wearing a mask but took it home where I will let it sit for several days and then reuse it again after any possible virus has died. An RN friend says that will work fine for people who limit their outings. Which I do.

Last edited by Ruby tunes; 03-31-2020 at 02:34 PM..
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 03-31-2020, 12:13 PM

My husband got groceries at 9:30 this morning and our walmart finally had everything back in stock.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-31-2020, 06:14 PM

I was in CVS the other day and they are keeping TP behind the counter. They had plenty! Our Trader Joe's is also limiting people to 2 of any item, so nothing is completely wiped out, even if I go at 4 pm. It's not bad at all right now. The only thing I can't find is paper towels, so I finally grabbed one from school (my own stash, not official school paper towels ).
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 03-31-2020, 07:12 PM

I am somewhat insanely excited I was finally able to order Purell hand sanitizer on Amazon. It sold out almost immediately. I have been checking at random times for it and got lucky. I half expect my order to get cancelled but fingers crossed! I've been looking for over a month for some.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 03-31-2020, 09:30 PM

I was glad to find a big bottle of hand soap refill the other day, with constant hand washing I was getting nervous about running low.
Stores around me are restocked with food, but no toilet paper, very little paper towels and tissues, etc.
Low on cleaning supplies and, of course, no wipes, rubbing alcohol, or hand sanitizer. No disposable gloves.
I'm hoping they get restocked soon!
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I haven't shopped in
Old 04-01-2020, 03:31 PM

about two weeks but sent my DH with a list when he went out to the Post Office.

I was low on Tylenol and they were out of it andall the off-brands of it as well.

I had a few left so he bought a Tylenol PM I can take at bedtime if needed. I'll save the few regular for daytime as needed.

I am not taking my prescription NSAID for knee pain right now just to be on the safe side.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-01-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Wonder if it has to do with rural vs. urban (?). Not sure, but am very thankful I don't have to worry about what you have to deal with! I'm sorry!
I don't live in the city, but I'm a lot closer than you are and our stores have been fine as well after that initial rush when they very first started shutting things down. I went to Trader Joe's on our last day of school, March 13th and 70-80% of the shelves were completely empty- that was a very eerie experience. They happened to get a truck in and start restocking while I was there. Since that day, I haven't seen any issues. I think they were just unprepared for the big rush and now all of the stores are restocking much more frequently.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote