Help

Kindergarten

How will kinder teachers teach?

>

Minnie716

How will kinder teachers teach?
Old 04-02-2020, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone! Just wondering how all of you are teaching your students during this crisis. Each teacher in my district is making packets for the parents to pick up. I post videos on Dojo for my students to watch so they know how to do the activities. However, my superintendent is saying that our state is wanting ALL teachers to just send work electronically. This is going to be difficult because a lot of my work comes from good old fashioned work books which means Iíd have to scan all of those before I try to send them to the parents. Iíve never done that before.

Iím just looking for ideas. What are you all doing for your students?

Minnie716 is offline   Reply With Quote

DRV

Google Drive
Old 04-02-2020, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are moving away from paper packets. We have created a google drive document. It will have websites and videos linked directly through there.
Some of the videos we have made to go along with our curriculum, and some we have found online already created.
We are attaching optional printable resources (our practice pages), but we are not going to be requiring students to submit the actual work. Instead, we are asking parents to take a picture of their child working, and email it to us. If you want to see the google drive document, I can send you the link privately.
DRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Minnie716

Old 04-02-2020, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That would be awesome! Thank you!

Sbkangas5

Old 04-02-2020, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are doing almost everything through google classroom, although we still have some kids with no connectivity so are making packets for them. We're doing a mix of videos and worksheets, as well as one whole class zoom meeting each week and 1-2 small group meetings per week.

We are trying to use online components from our curriculum as much as possible. It's an easy way to get worksheets and materials without having to scan or reformat things.

There is so much out there, you can probably find a lot of things similar to what you usually use.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Kinder
Old 04-02-2020, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm still working it out (kids only started staying home this week). We tried our first Zoom this morning and oh my goodness, kinders and zoom is

ElizabethJoy is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-02-2020, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We use seesaw. I had no experience with it at all prior to this whole scenario but many of our classroom teachers have used it. I have to say it works great for this age group- it's very accessible. I teach K-2 sped and I can do exactly what I want on seesaw. My 2nd graders have to use google classroom (district directive) and while it's much better organized, it's not accessible at all and pretty limited for what I'd like to do.

Most of us are making little instructional videos for students to follow along with and then including an exit ticket. When you create an activity, you can link your video and then create a "template" by uploading whatever you want- you could do your workbook pages if you like. Then within the template students have all of these tools on their end- they can make a video, record themselves speaking, take a picture, draw on it with their finger, etc. and turn it into you. Another great thing is that you can have voice instructions for each lesson. So students just press a button and it reads them the directions.

For the past few days, I've uploaded 15 minute videos going through some of our regular reading routines (phonemic awareness, letter names/sounds, sight words, blending sounds to read words, etc. ) and then put up a short reading page for students to record themselves reading and send back to me. When they complete it seesaw sends it to me to "approve" and then I can add a comment back to them if I want.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 04-05-2020, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We are going into our fourth week using Seesaw. The first week was hard because we didn't know that the student iPads were going home until 2-3 hours before dismissal. We didn't have time to prepare parents. As soon as the kids left, I emailed the parents to let them know the iPad was in the backpack. We had to have the parents make sure the students were logged out of the class code and logged in using their home learning codes.

I don't know what we would do without Seesaw. (Even if we wanted to do packets, the district decided to stop mailings as part of quarantine efforts.) The K Team plans out general lessons for the week, and then we tweak them for our particular students. We are able to push out video lessons, create activities, do read alouds, brain breaks, ...It is user-friendly for our students.

It is a lot of work making the videos-I delete a zillion times. UGH! We divide and conquer-share our videos with each other. No point in re-inventing the wheel.

I can't wait to get back into my classroom.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-05-2020, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our kinder teacher is doing small groups over Zoom. They have paper and pencils at home, so she demonstrates and then they practice and show her.

She also posts videos in Google classroom.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Minnie716

Old 04-06-2020, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you everyone for your replies! Itís really helped!

GoodVibes

Zoom Meetings
Old 04-08-2020, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We are sending home paper packets (that we must go into school and assemble.) We are beginning teaching Lang. Arts and Math via Zoom once a day for one hour. Weíll be teaching to the packets weíve assembled. Iíve had two Zoom meetings with my kiddos this far and itís chaotic. I think when they enter the meetings Iíll have them muted, then go over expectations for our time, not much different than being in our classroom. Iíll teach and unmute when they have a question or want to answer a question.
My biggest challenge has been getting in touch with all parents to go over procedures, etc. About 4 wonít answer their cell phones or return my call. 😢

GoodVibes is offline   Reply With Quote

sakeenan13

How teachers are teach kindergarten
Old 04-19-2020, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would also like a copy, please.
sakeenan13 is offline   Reply With Quote