Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I love being home BUT....

>

amiga13

Old 04-03-2020, 06:42 AM

Looking beyond the horror of the pandemic, I really hit a wall this morning. I love my home. I love my solo walks. But there’s so much more to life that I appreciate and miss.

I’m not like the poster who is content and proud at home. I miss my family. I miss my friends. Hell, I miss my cooking classes and lettuce-wrapped cheeseburgers from Biggie’s. You know what I’m missing most right now? I’m missing going to bed at night and thinking about what I’ll be doing the next day. I miss waking up and thinking, “Okay, today is....”.

For those not glorying in this moment, I’m thinking of you. Join me in a distant group virtual hug.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 04-03-2020, 07:01 AM

( ( ( HUGS ) ) ) There is your socially distanced hug. I am missing a lot too. I miss having family dinners at my parents and in laws house. That is a huge thing in my Italian family. I miss watching my ds practice his hockey skills on the ice during practice. I miss my students. I'm really missing the anticipation of getting ready for my spring break California coastal cruise and getting to see you!
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

Just heard from a friend in Germany
Old 04-03-2020, 07:14 AM

and they have been in lockdown since January.
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Greetings!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:19 AM

It definitely takes some mental gymnastics to get out of one mindset and into another. There are things I miss as well. For one thing, I really miss the library being open. However, what we need to do is take each day and make it the best it can be. We are safe at home and nobody is shooting at us. We are not sick! We have plenty to eat, even if it isn't always the favorite things we are used to being able to run out and get. Right now at my house the sun is shining, for which I have become extremely grateful. I find the gloomy, overcast days especially trying lately. I have my sewing to keep my busy. Right now I am making masks for my niece & people at the pharmacy where she works. Perhaps you can find a hobby to enjoy as well to help you deal with the frustration--or to give you another kind of frustration entirely.
Hang in there!
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 04-03-2020, 07:29 AM

Iím feeling that way, too. Itís harder to get out of bed in the morning. I miss my DS, DDIL and beautiful granddaughter. Iím afraid she wonít know me anymore. I miss friends and dinners, concerts and sporting events. I miss my exercise classes. Iíve never been much of a sit and binge watch person.
Thankful for what we have.

hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Disgruntled
Old 04-03-2020, 07:30 AM

(((((Hug)))))).

Iím with you, sister. While I can keep busy, I miss the ability to go anywhere I want at any time. Seriously missing the energy given and received when visiting/talking to people live. FaceTime is ok, but I REALLY want to hug my daughter and grandson.

Weíre running out of conversation topics, too.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-03-2020, 07:31 AM

I miss planning what I am doing, too! It isn't so much fun to decide what to do the next day when you know when you finish whatever it is, you have to come up with another thing inside the house.

My dh and I will be finishing Ozarks in the next couple of days. Then what?

I need to go take a long walk today. Long enough to take a lunch. Yes. I think I will. Join me, Amiga?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 04-03-2020, 07:32 AM

Here is your distant (Hug)

I'm usually OK being at home. Having DH and DD (23) at home, too, is a bit much. DH and DD are prone to depression, so things could get pretty tense around here.

Plus, I just really want to go see my 88 year old mom and 68 year old brother.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Amiga
Old 04-03-2020, 07:42 AM

I completely understand.

Quote:
this is my feeling as well. I can stay at home with the best: reading, cooking, baking, working puzzles, sewing, quilting, cleaning, exercising, yard work, Lots to fill my time that I enjoy. BUT; its that BUT. I miss things, too: hugging my grandsons, my kids, my family, church services, my school kids, having lunch and other activities with my friends- just all the "normal life" things that I look forward to.

So I get you, Amiga. Yes, we can do this BUT, every once in a while, we have a moment of "I really want my normal life back!"

Sending a virtual ((((hug))) to you and all others at PT.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

amiga13
Old 04-03-2020, 07:56 AM

Returning your virtual hug(((hug)))! Completely understand how you are feeling. I am missing my church, my grandchildren (who I did see almost every day), our family Sunday lunches after church, and things I took for granted.

Our governor issued a mandatory shelter at home starting today through April 13th. My hubby received his ďcritical employee ď sign yesterday just in case he was stopped by law enforcement either going or coming home from work.

Please stay as safe as possible.

GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Haha.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:07 AM

I admit I love being home most of time... but that said, I texted my grown DD yesterday that "I am NOT a Happy Stay-At-Home Wife.... I feel like Cinder-FREAKIN'-ella...the cooking and the dishes and the laundry...oh my."

I don't miss a lot and am fairly content, but I miss my routine. Going to school, coming home, then going out to eat with BIL and family, movies, chores on the weekend. We also chose about one or two weekends a month to getaway...Short overnight trips, day trips...those have gone away of course.

It was a simple life that I didn't appreciate as much as I should until now.

P.S. I am also in that group that had grand ideas of projects to do and closets to clean when this was first announced...yah, nothing so far...

Hang in there, Everyone. Hugs from me too.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

amiga13
Old 04-03-2020, 08:08 AM

(((Hugs))). Aw, it does not Take much to feel a bit at loose ends these days. I just texted with SIL then my sister for about 2 hours. We all miss each other. My sister lives 2 houses away and I do not even see her. I do FaceTime with grands, but it is not the same. It is difficult to try and imagine when this will all end.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Old 04-03-2020, 08:10 AM

I think youíve expressed what has been simmering in so many of us!

Just a few nights ago I was going thru my nighttime routine which has always included checking my calendar to see where Iíd need to be the next day. It made me sigh when I realized there were no events to look forward to and I didnít need to set an alarm to be up at any particular hour. (And even as I type this, I sigh...)

The one thing Iím sure of, however, is a quote Iíve seen in various forms: ďYouíre not stuck at home, youíre safe at home.Ē

Itís nice to read through these posts to see that we are not alone in having these thoughts.
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-03-2020, 08:27 AM

When I start to feel this way, I have to stop myself and just appreciate and feel thankful for what I am NOT going through at this time. It's not what I am missing.

Others are dealing with:
having the virus themselves
loved ones having the virus
death in the family
those in the hospital, extremely sick with the virus
the impact on the medical and first responders
those struggling with their businesses
those out of a job
those living with abuse now, increased by the tensions in this time

It just puts my whole life into perspective so I can appreciate and be thankful for the positive and not dwell on the negative-my cup is full.

No matter if you are one struggling at home with things you miss, or if you are struggling with any of the serious problems at this time... hugs to all of us now. We can all use a "virtual hug."
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 04-03-2020, 08:31 AM

I feel the same way. I miss my parents and my kids desperately miss seeing all their grandparents. I desperately miss my normal routine. I keep telling myself that this will pass, but it has been very difficult for me.
JenInWV is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 04-03-2020, 08:39 AM

I completely understand. I am not enjoying this time and Iím grieving the things that Iím missing, like activities and vacations.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 04-03-2020, 09:17 AM

(( ))

I'm hitting a wall here, too. Man and I were talking about this last night. While it's fairly easy for us to stay home only going out for groceries, we miss being able to see Boy in real life. He doesn't like online platforms so refuses to do video chats with us. We miss the library, taking public transit to the art gallery, going for coffee with friends, going to the Dollar Store to get that one small thing I want for craft.

I'll be okay in a while. I'll play the Glad Game and think of all the things I AM able to do and use the mantra, This Too Shall Pass.
GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Missing spontaneity...
Old 04-03-2020, 09:28 AM

I also enjoy being home. What I miss most is being able to do what I want, when I want. Even things that were previously simple, like grocery shopping, involve pre-planning like what store to go to, what to buy there, and what time to go there to meet up with the smallest crowds. I miss my gym, especially the spin classes, and the people I met there who now are friends. I miss going to the movies and out to eat when I want to. I also miss the public library being open. And when I go to bed at night, I can't sleep because I find myself thinking about all the losses my state and neighboring NY state has incurred over the past few weeks. Our governor reported that a 48 year old middle school principal with a wife and three children passed away yesterday. The losses of every person, especially the young ones, really eat at me. Stay well, everyone.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Me Too
Old 04-03-2020, 09:54 AM

I understand and feel the same way. I like being at home when I choose to do so but do not enjoy being here all the time.

I miss seeing my friends and family, going to my lifelong learning classes and the gym, eating out, and traveling.

Thank
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-03-2020, 11:16 AM

Sure, I miss those things too, but since we ALL HAVE to do this for now, might as well make the best of it and enjoy staying at home and make it our oasis.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-03-2020, 05:27 PM

I am right there with ya! We are staying busy, but not being able to gather in person with a friend or friends and knowing it can't happen for awhile, is driving me crazy! I thrive on socialization like I am sure you do!

((((((((((BIG VIRTUAL HUG))))))))))

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 04-03-2020, 06:36 PM

I am with you Amiga. I do our monthly calendar a couple days before the new month. I flipped it to April and I had nothing to write. The two things that DH had written had already been cancelled. I am keeping busy but itís not what I want to be doing. Instead of seeing my mom today she left material and elastic in a bag on her front porch. I saw her from 6 feet away. I called her later and she started crying. Sheís worried about a friend of hers and my dad. It was so sad.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 04-04-2020, 04:01 AM

LazyLake, your post really helps put this thing into perspective. Thank you.
Amiga, I am feeling the same way. I understand.
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote