End of this year ABC's book project-help! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

End of this year ABC's book project-help!

>

Linda/OH

End of this year ABC's book project-help!
Old 04-04-2020, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been brainstorming with myself and google ideas for students (4th graders) to create an end of year ABC Book. We would usually do these with subjects and topics like an ABC of Ohio or Weather for example.
But this year since everyone is working from home is to assign it for the last month of home instruction .
I'm trying to figure out the topic, format and requirements. I'd like them to type and create meaningful sentences and add illustrations.

This could be a real treasure/keepsake for their living history!

What do you think about something like:
The ABC's Of My Life March-May 2020

A=at-home instruction I have to stay at home for school the rest of the year.
B=blooming The flowers are blooming since it is spring!
C=coronavirus, COVID-19

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 04-04-2020, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's a meaningful and significant assignment. Go for it!
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 04-04-2020, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This assignment doesn't feel right to me. The tone of it feels too flippant. You could get some "cute" responses, like toilet paper for T and Zoom for Z, but it seems to ignore or gloss over the fact that people are dying and many are very afraid.

I think the intent of having students create something that is a primary document of this historic time is good and worthy. But I think I would prefer something like having students create a time capsule that shows daily life, like a daily schedule. But even that seems problematic and like it could create anxiety in kids. I don't know...maybe make something like this an optional project and if a kid or parent is interested they could choose to do it. I think if you force kids to examine what their life is like now it might be upsetting.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Options
Old 04-04-2020, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like the time capsule approach suggested by the OP, but agree that it might be anxiety-provoking for some. Could you have it as one of 2 or 3 possible projects and let each student choose which one to do?
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-04-2020, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Would the students be choosing the words for each letter, or is that something you assign and they make the sentences?

I like it if the kids choose their words. They may not choose coronavirus for C. Then the book is relevent to what they are doing. In order to make it more of a review type thing though I might make it subject-oriented. like you normally do, that way you maybe bump the quality of the words up a notch on the education scale. Of course, then it isn't a historical view of what they went through. Although I don't think they need a historical documentation.

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Old 04-04-2020, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the feedback. That is why I posted. Yes, it would be an optional or choice assignment. Many parents have shared that their child is very interested and conducting research. And some have shared the anxiety their child is experiencing.

In my head , I thought they would choose their own words for each letter so some words may be very personal for them. Others could be universal.

Our Princ. mentions in every home message that we are all living through history right now and journaling or drawing about it is a good thing.

Tyrex-I am curious how this assignment seems "flippant" to you and doesn't feel like the "right tone"?? Maybe your time capsule idea could be a perfect other choice-thanks!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 04-04-2020, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like your idea. I think it could be therapeutic and a way of assessing where some of them are emotionally. If I were a parent, i would like to know. It could be a springboard for discussion.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 04-04-2020, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think it is because an ABC book, even about a "serious" topic like the weather or state landmarks, is inherently "cute." Like if school were shut down for weeks due to a water line break (I know, unrealistic) then an ABC book would be fine.

But when I think about what I would include, I start with TP and Zoom and then it just gets dark. . . social distancing, masks, PEP, quarantine, flatten the curve, deaths, testing, presumptive positives, unemployment, CDC . . . the buzzwords are all very scary. I know kids wouldn't come up with most of those words, but I feel like parents would, even if they kept it them to themselves, and it almost makes the assignment seem like satire because the situation is so raw.

I hope I explained myself well. I think you can achieve the intent with something like an optional time capsule with prompts. Examples: a typical day of virtual school, your daily schedule, your grocery list and what was not at the store, maybe your ideal day once this is over, things you miss about school that surprised you, new skills/hobbies you are learning.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 04-04-2020, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I like your idea of the ABC book and students choosing the words for each sentence.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote