Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Finally!

>

amiga13

Finally!
Old 04-04-2020, 07:48 AM

I know posters here disagree about what stay home means, but to me it means stay home. Some posters plan get-togethers counting on social distancing. To me, social distancing is what I do when I see another human—I leave a wide berth. So imagine my joy when I saw this:
Quote:
Citations were issued to 22 people found near the beach in Encinitas for violating the state's stay at home order, authorities announced Saturday morning.

The tickets were issued Friday to people who "were watching the sunset, having picnics near the beach," according to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.
I don’t want to be a crabapple, but I do want to be safe and keep others safe.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Stay at home...
Old 04-04-2020, 07:55 AM

I read on Facebook that Georgia was reopening their beaches. I hope that isn't true. While I understand that it is possible to walk on the beach and maintain social distance, I think it leaves a lot of room for abuse. In my state, a lot of the towns closed their boardwalks because people were not maintaining social distances. It is a challenge these days to just take a walk without coming near others. I feel like I'm on an obstacle course every time I take the dog out.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

stay home
Old 04-04-2020, 08:04 AM

Beach towns here requested beaches be closed so that out of town people didn't come bringing possible virus and buying up limited resources. Don't think they've arrested anyone yet.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-04-2020, 08:09 AM

There seems to be a line that isn't clear.

Here it is okay to take walks, so I have been doing that. Yesterday I went to a trail that is normally not very populated and there were more cars parked there than I have EVER seen before at one time. I get it. We are all home and have to have some outlet. I passed a few people on the trail but we were all respectful and moved off the trail so that others could go round. Only one spot was the 6 foot distance not adhered to, but we were still several feet away and did not stop to talk. I have noticed that if I go more than a mile into a trail, I usually do not run into anyone after that point.

However, I noticed that at a different parking area there were people having picnics on the picnic tables. I wonder if they tried using the bathrooms (I assume they are closed) or threw their trash in the trash cans? To me, that goes against the rules. I don't go into those type of parking areas because I have seen people congregating - often with 6 feet between them, but that seems to defeat the purpose of stay at home.

I don't know. There is a fine line. I go by myself and I stay by myself. I am not going to meet friends.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 04-04-2020, 08:53 AM

I'm with you, amiga13, we aren't in a mandated Stay At Home order yet but I reckon it's coming. It's strongly suggested that we stay at home and only leave for groceries but I keep seeing people doing foolish things. I'm glad to see citations issued. I hope that happens here.

GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 04-04-2020, 10:39 AM

Glad they were fined. Maybe it will sink in. But I hate that police officers have to put themselves at risk to give these thoughtless idiots tickets
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-04-2020, 10:42 AM

Kahlua, we can’t do that here because the trails and parking lots are closed. We are encouraged to walk, but only in our own neighborhoods. Of course, I count my miles, so I have a large neighborhood.

GraceKrispy

Old 04-04-2020, 02:20 PM

Walking is encouraged here, but "hanging out" is not. Many trails and all parks have been closed to discourage that. if you are in motion and not in a group, you're ok. But trails became far too busy.

We can apparently still sit on a bench though- I have yet to see a bench that is closed off in my daily 4-5 mile walks. I also have yet to see my scale start going down rather than up
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-04-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGK
We can apparently still sit on a bench though- I have yet to see a bench that is closed off in my daily 4-5 mile walks. I also have yet to see my scale start going down rather than up
I profoundly love you for this post.

klarabelle

Old 04-04-2020, 05:01 PM

I saw on CNN tonight that Dr. Debbie Birx on the task force is recommending people stay home including not going to the grocery store. Not sure how that will go with people.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-04-2020, 06:55 PM

DD and I go walking on the beach almost daily. We are fortunate that our beaches aren't closed yet. There are very few people, no groups, and everyone stays very far away from each other. I can see closing them when people are not following orders, but my city is being very good so why close it off when it's a way for people to get fresh air and exercise?
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-04-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I can see closing them when people are not following orders, but my city is being very good so why close it off when it's a way for people to get fresh air and exercise?
I totally agree! Unfortunately, we had a lot of people who couldn’t/wouldn’t distance. I’m also guessing the start of the virus overlapped with tourists here for their Spring Breaks. It really was kind of a mess and I don’t think there was any choice other than shutting everything down. I miss my Boardwalk walks, but I understand and I’m really really proud of the way San Diego has responded. Just tonight I saw a public service announcement showing empty beaches and “my” Boardwalk with the message, “Thanks, San Diego, you’re doing a great job.”