Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tiny, black ants

>

bGracie

Tiny, black ants
Old 04-05-2020, 09:51 PM

I have some tiny, black ants that I cannot get to leave my kitchen. They stay mostly on the floor away from cabinets and counters, but they are still very irritating. I keep the dishes washed, the trash taken out, and all surfaces clean. I don't have any fruit or other types of food sitting out, so I don't know why they're here. Unfortunately, I've even seen them working as a team to carry in larger, dead insects from outside, which I definitely don't want. I think I've read on PT before that you can kill them by mixing borax and sugar. Can anyone tell me where to look for borax? I've never bought anything like that before. I wouldn't even know what section of a store to look in. Thanks!

bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Borax
Old 04-05-2020, 10:06 PM

will be in a box with the laundry detergents. It is usually toward the bottom. Hope you get rid of the ants.

One brand looks like this.

https://www.idealtruevalue.com/store...SABEgKb4PD_BwE
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Ants
Old 04-05-2020, 10:06 PM

It's in the laundry aisle. I just used the borax/sugar solution to successfully get rid of some last week. I wouldn't normally have had borax but it's also an ingredient in slime which I made with my grandchildren a few months ago

https://www.mashupmom.com/yes-borax-...d-of-the-ants/
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 04-05-2020, 10:11 PM

Thanks to both of you! I find that really helpful. Hopefully these guys will be gone soon.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 04-06-2020, 02:08 AM

A simpler, less messy solution is little traps by Terro Bait. They are often available in grocery or hardware stores. You just put the little traps in an inconspicuous spot like a corner or behind a cabinet. They are safer if you have pets, too. And they work like magic. It's a bright orange box.

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Use Terro
Old 04-06-2020, 05:16 AM

I just bought some Terro baits last week. (Well ordered from Amazon-they should be here this week). Iíve used them before and Terro definitely works. I find the ants like to migrate inside when the weather gets warmer or itís is rainy. The Terro baits work very well. Zia recommended them one time. I havenít used anything since.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

read2day

Old 04-06-2020, 07:37 AM

If you cannot get out or have to wait for a delivery of the items already suggested, try wiping down the areas you see ants with white vinegar (straight from the bottle, do not dilute) and see if that helps. Of course I am assuming you have the vinegar in your pantry!
read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 04-06-2020, 10:59 AM

I have seen two groups (what do you call a collection of ants??) on two separate days. I set out my Terro baits in the two locations I noticed the ants, but as of this morning it doesn't appear that any ants have visited the traps. I don't know why they just appear and then I won't see any for a few days and then there will be another group. The first group found a small something in front of the refrigerator, but I never could figure out what the others were doing. I may invest in some Borax just in case their visits become more frequent!
eagles23 is online now   Reply With Quote