Help

Retired Teachers

To Shop or Not

>

mhugs

To Shop or Not
Old 04-06-2020, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are starting to run low on fresh food; fruit, vegs, etc. I so want to go to store and just buy my stuff... DD would shop for us and has bought us a few things. But I want to do a real stock up again as it looks like we aren't going any where soon.

Been Home Safe for over 4 weeks now. Our order on line, pick-up at store service stopped. I had planned on using them. DH has no imagination when he goes shopping and can get over whelmed if a list has to many items or has to substitute. What to do???

mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 04-06-2020, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our county public health director is urging everyone to stay out of the grocery stores this week.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Old 04-06-2020, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I went this morning just as the store opened. There were not a lot of people in the store and things were well stocked. I had gloves and a mask on too. (My mask was a DIY non sewing one.)
I cleaned the cart before entering the store and did self-check out. I placed all groceries in my laundry room and wiped all the items down. Fruits and veggies were washed. I was exhausted from this chore. Maybe it was the stress of shopping?
If you go, be prepared with wipes, a mask, and a list. Take care!
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Sonoma
Old 04-06-2020, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Was it stated why you should stay out of the grocery stores this week?

I must admit Iím getting a little bit more fearful after having lost a friend, that lived out of state, last night to the virus.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Fresh food is important to good health
Old 04-06-2020, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you decide to go I think you are smart to go yourself and stock up. Good luck with whatever you decide.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Delivery?
Old 04-06-2020, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

National and state nedical people are saying the next 2 weeks will be especially bad and that older and/or high risk people should not go to places like the supermarket unless it's absolutely crucial. The surgeon general really convinced me (on Meet the Press) to stay home!

Can you get your groceries delivered? One supermarket chain in my county delivers. I was able to get a delivery time in 2 weeks. It was well worth the $6 delivery fee and tip for the driver.

There's also a lot of non-fridge products that can be shipped through Walmart.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 04-06-2020, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you need to go the grocery, go and buy what you need for the next two weeks. Take the precautions you know to take. Wear a mask. I like to use baggies over my hand instead of gloves. Easier to toss in trash can as you leave grocery. Wash your hands afterward and do whatever you've decided is necessary before putting your groceries away.

Groceries are essential and sometimes only you can do the best and most efficient job. I was in a Harris Teeter today and everyone practiced distancing and was extremely considerate. Go early if you can. Leave your purse in car and just take credit card. One less thing to clean. Just take precautions. You don't need to be extremely fearful of just entering the store
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-06-2020, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What about Amazon pantry? I haven't used it but it might be an option.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-06-2020, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I’m also reading that we all need to stay out of stores this week (and next if possible).

I hadn’t been to the grocery store for 10 days and went Sunday at 6:30 am Senior time. Very organized and clean, 3 other shoppers in the store. But like LaFish, I found the whole experience difficult and exhausting. Mask, hand baggies, wipes—and that was just to prepare to shop. The shopping itself was the easy part. Then the grand production of getting everything home without bringing in any contamination and wiping everything down a final time. I am not patient, and I’m only buying food for 1 person, and I thought the whole process took forever and really stressed me out. Canned soup is looking better to me.

ETA: I forgot to say that after the groceries were sanitized and stores, I Clorox wiped every surface I’d touched in my car (and trunk!).

Last edited by amiga13; 04-07-2020 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: Car
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 04-07-2020, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just did a big shopping this morning. Hannaford has senior hours T-W-Th from 6 am to 7 am, so I got up at 4:30 and was out the door at 5:30. I had my mask, hand sanitizer, clean grocery bags, and sanitizing wipes with me.

Got there 10 minutes before opening. Stood in a line (6 feet apart) with other masked folks. Surprisingly, mostly men! I asked one of them why he came rather than his wife, and he said he was willing to take the risk to protect her. I did point out to him (and the world at large...private conversations are not possible at a 6 ft distance!) that (a) men are frequently older than their wives (b) men are more susceptible to this virus and (c) men are more likely to have underlying health conditions at our age. As a widow, I mentioned that losing a husband because he was willing to put himself at risk to protect me is counterproductive!

Once I got in the store, sanitized my cart and hands and adjusted my mask, I was able to do my shopping fairly quickly. The only missing item was my favorite brand of dark chocolate (a First World problem!) Checkouts were well staffed and lines were long only because we stood 6 feet apart! There was only one person ahead of me in line.

I had them load everything back in my cart and took the groceries back to my car. I used my sanitizing wipes to wipe everything off before putting things in my clean grocery bags. Sanitized my hands as soon as I got in the car, and before removing my mask.

Because I had cleaned everything in the parking lot, I could bring my bags in the house and put everything away...and then wash my hands.

mhugs, check to see if your local grocery has senior hours. I found the store to be clean, organized, and well-stocked (except for pasta, for some reason). I also found the other day that I could get about 50% of my needs at a very nice local convenience store that has almost a complete grocery...and that I can call in an order for curbside pickup. That will help me stay stocked between big grocery store visits.

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Shopping
Old 04-07-2020, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We shopped yesterday. Hardly anyone in store. They only let 20 folks in at a time. We bought fresh fruit and veggies. I made a huge container of roasted veggies to store. We wore masks and brought hand sanitizer. We wiped all groceries with bleach wipes. Then wiped our bags out with bleach. We now have food for at least two weeks. I could probably go longer if needed. We have lentil soup in freezer too. Plenty of veggie burgers, turkey burgers, etc. we have tons of beans for another pot of bean chili. We will see no one the next two weeks. Washed all downstairs windows yesterday, upstairs windows today. We have a ham, potatoes and carrots for Easter. We have frozen strawberries for dessert and whipped cream. Of course, we will celebrate alone! We FaceTime with grands often. Our eight year old grandson, in New York, does a watch party every day at one pm. It is so fun to see them daily along with his grandparents in England. Fun! Good luck. Then stay home. This week is supposedly going to be the worst...
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Groceries
Old 04-07-2020, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Dh or I have been going to the grocery store once a week for the past few weeks. I generally go to Trader Joe's where they limit the number of people in the store, wipe down grocery cars for customers entering the store, and have cashiers wear gloves and masks.

Since the peak of Covid-19 is predicted to come soon, I'm going to have groceries delivered. I just opened an Instacart account. The delivery window is Tuesday-Saturday. I was pleased to see that they can get food at Wegmans for me.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I have been going every two weeks...
Old 04-07-2020, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Many of our stores have senior shopping hours. I went to our local Stop and Shop when it opened to participate in that. It was not crowded. A friend had given me a mask, which I wore. It was not too hard to practice social distancing. The hardest part was dodging the grocery workers who were re-stocking the shelves in many of the aisles. The checkout was easy. Only one person was ahead of me, and the line was marked to maintain social distancing. I did not put my groceries on the belt till the shopper ahead of me left. The card reader machine had plastic over it so you didn't touch the actual keypad. There was plexiglass separating you from the cashier. I wiped the cart with my own wipes, carried hand sanitizer and wiped and repacked the groceries in my own containers when I got home.

In our area, it is very difficult to get an online shopping time. My friends who planned on using this service are very frustrated because the demand is so high. I also feel I do not know who is handling my groceries and if there are substitutions to be made, I can do them when I am in the store rather than have an order unfilled.

Is it high anxiety? Yes. I am so glad it is done for the next two weeks. I spent a fortune because there are no bargains and I am not looking for any. I just wanted to get in and out as fast as I could.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-07-2020, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ
I spent a fortune because there are no bargains and I am not looking for any.
Yes! For the first time in my life, I didn’t even look at prices, I just threw what I wanted in my cart. However, I did have a pile of coupons; Ralph’s (Kroger’s) sends me coupons based on my frequent purchases. You can only break a limited number of habits at once.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

shopping
Old 04-07-2020, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm going tomorrow and dreading it. Delivery or curb side pick up is impossible to book due to high demand, so going seems the only option. Saying lots of prayers!
SusaninNJ is online now   Reply With Quote

broad

Walmart delivers
Old 04-08-2020, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We have had two deliveries from Walmart and they have been excellent.
You order and pay online.
When they arrived today my husband was at the door with mask, gloves, etc.
We put non perishables in a garbage can and will leave them there for a couple of days.
The refrigerated items we sprayed and washed.

We have stocked up.

I was walking every morning early but now have stopped that. I am paranoid.
I'm going to be at home until Christmas I think. But it's a very nice Jail - I have food, hobbies, books and TV and a sweet husband.

All the best to everyone and the world. This is the most unbelievable scenario ever to imagine. I feel like I am in a movie.
broad is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: shopping and other stuff-
Old 04-10-2020, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Good morning to all-
Our daughter- who is out of school for the rest of this year and who knows about next year- goes into town to pick up curbside groceries every couple of weeks. it seems to work pretty well.
We're doing quite well, really. We're eating some good stuff from the garden. Lots of fine lettuce, snow peas, and new potatoes. We'll have green beans in a week or so, and broccoli next week, also. of course, our hens out back give us a dozen eggs a day- we have surplus eggs- anyone want to barter?
If needed, I can walk down to the pond and catch a meal of panfish just about any time.
Except for not being able to go other places- like over east to Florida- to fish for big fish, this isolation thing suits us well.
be well and keep safe-
Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote