Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Husbands doing the grocery shopping

>

lisa53

Husbands doing the grocery shopping
Old 04-07-2020, 04:30 AM

I just did a big shopping this morning. Hannaford has senior hours T-W-Th from 6 am to 7 am, so I got up at 4:30 and was out the door at 5:30. I had my mask, hand sanitizer, clean grocery bags, and sanitizing wipes with me.

Got there 10 minutes before opening. Stood in a line (6 feet apart) with other masked folks. Surprisingly, mostly men! I asked one of them why he came rather than his wife, and he said he was willing to take the risk to protect her.

I did mention to him (and the world at large...private conversations are not possible at a 6 ft distance!) that (a) men are frequently older than their wives (b) men are more susceptible to this virus and (c) men are more likely to have underlying health conditions at our age. As a widow, I pointed out that losing a husband because he was willing to put himself at risk to protect me is counterproductive!

Just a thought...consider who in your household has the lowest risk and have them do the grocery shopping. If you're a senior citizen, it probably isn't the man...

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

interesting thought
Old 04-07-2020, 04:55 AM

Did Hannafords limit the number going in the store? How was the stock? I need to do an inventory and make a shopping list.

Hoping to make it out tomorrow morning... EARLY

Wearing mask, my safety glasses so I don't rub my eyes, wipes and sanitizer. Planning to use the dreadful self-service check out so less people touch our food.

DD said Market Basket was really limiting people. You couldn't go in until another person came out. Workers were spraying down the entire cart before people used them. Couldn't bring in bags from home.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

Old 04-07-2020, 05:08 AM

Yes, my DH usually does the shopping, but I have been going since this all started. He is older and a little overweight, so it is a risk.
Our stores also have the senior hours, but there are so many people lined up that I prefer to go a couple of hours after. By then tney have restocked the shelves, except for the bacon and some meats. Of course no toilet paper and a few paper towels are left.
I have to thank the workers for making sure everything is wiped down... They are usually there at the door cleaning the carts.
jks is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 04-07-2020, 05:20 AM

I've been doing the ecart order and picking groceries up curbside. Dh loves to grocery shop and I really had to work at getting him to stop going every few days for fresh fruit and vegetables.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

mhugs
Old 04-07-2020, 05:24 AM

They lined us up 6 feet apart...but I was the third person, so I'm not sure if they were limiting. There was no line when I came out. If they were limiting, there weren't too many people.

We couldn't bring bags from home into the store. I just had them put everything back in my cart and I wiped everything down as I packed my bags at my trunk. I just wish I had brought warm gloves for that step...it was a toasty 36 degrees, and my fingers were frozen!

I sanitized my hands as soon as I got in the car.

I was able to get everything on my list, although there were limits on how much of some items, and for some odd reason, there was almost no pasta.

Zephie

I'm being sent out to get the groceries
Old 04-07-2020, 05:28 AM

Mom worked her normal 5 nights in a row shift and then got called in last night for a 6th shift. We are low on groceries because we can only safely store 1 week of groceries at a time. It's been more than a week since mom went to stock back up. Mom has today off and then is back on for 2 more nights. Dad will not wear a mask in public u less mom forced him to do so.

I got volunteered to do the grocery shopping this afternoon/tomorrow mor ing after we get a list together.

Moms first question after we made the plan was "you did make yourself a mask right?"

Yes, Mom, I made myself a mask and I'll wear it to the store..
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-07-2020, 05:40 AM

Curbside pick up in this house only --for about a month now.

I am the one that's doing the curbside pick ups. Pick up times are randomly available, you never know what is available and you just grab it. For that reason, it makes sense that the person not working be the one that's most likely available at these random times for the pick ups.

When I do go to the curbside pick up, I am noticing that mostly men are ones actually going into the store to shop. I would say it's mostly men in the 30 to 50 age group that are going into the stores alone to do grocery shopping. It's so noticeable here that it really caught my attention. I hardly see any senior men or women, for that matter going into the store. This store in particular does not offer a special hour for seniors. I'm thinking that the seniors that shop at this store are just doing curbside.

I'm usually 5 to 10 minutes early to do the curbside pick up, so I park my car way back in the parking lot and just watch the people before my schedule time to pull up into the designated curbside pick up section. I spend those extra few minutes people watching !

Last edited by LazyLake; 04-07-2020 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: Spelling
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Senior hours
Old 04-07-2020, 05:52 AM

I just read that this is not the best time to go. Many seniors have underlying conditions so the most unhealthy folks shop at those hours.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 04-07-2020, 05:58 AM

On a lighter note...if DH did the grocery shopping at our house, we would be living on the streets.

He has no idea of a budget or what to buy. If I asked for sugar he would come home with 3 different kinds since he didn't know what the right kind was.

He came home once with high end cheeses. Asked why he didn't know they had all that "good stuff. You should buy more of it." Two weeks later it was moldy.

I could go on and on.

I will stick to the grocery shopping!
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 04-07-2020, 06:16 AM

I think husbands are offering to grocery shop because they are generally having a harder time staying at home for long periods of time. Women have been programmed to tolerate being homebodies for generations!!1

Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 04-07-2020, 06:32 AM

My DH has been doing the grocery shopping, I have not stepped foot in a public building/store since March 6. I am in the high risk group so I am extra careful. DH did occasionally go with me to the grocery in the past but admitted he never really paid attention, he states he was just there for moral support. There has been a steep learning curve for him on the actual cost of grocery items and how to read, and trust, my list.

We have been preparing a menu and a shopping list so he only needs to go to the grocery every 14-15 days. This last week I had 2 bags of shredded mozzarella and 1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese on the list. He only bought 1 bag of mozzarella. His reasoning for not following the list......we already had 1 bag of each in the fridge so by buying the 1 bag of mozzarella we had a total of the 3 bags I requested. But he didn't take into account that those bags were already accounted for in our 14 day menu plan. He didn't think that what was on the list was needed in addition to what we already had so I had to 'mansplain' it to him. My reasoning went like this.... If you sent me to the hardware with directions to buy 3 2in bolts would you expect me to buy 3 bolts or only 1 bolt since you already had 2 on your workbench? He promised he would get what was on the list from now on.

. We are getting through it!
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-07-2020, 06:57 AM

So far, my fiance' and I have been together 24/7 since covid hit...at home and the rare time we may have to go to the grocery store, we go out together. When we go walking for exercise, we're both together then too.

Also here's a very informative video about how to handle your groceries when you get back home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmoBI5m2_uw

Actually, I meant to add, you may have heard that (probably ALL) stores will have a line of people waiting to enter outside while the employees only allow so many shoppers in the store building.

My Mom had a good idea. She said to have a different shopping list for fiance' and I so if we can't enter the building together, we each can get certain stuff and meet back up again as soon as we can or back at the car. I'll try to be as fast as I can about it because the quicker I'm out of the store, the better.

Last edited by MAsped; 04-07-2020 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: Added last 2 paragraphs
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-07-2020, 07:37 AM

I donít care if the shopper is a male or a female, I just appreciate single shoppers. People who shop in pairs or groups are not considerate of others. Everything I read says the key to ending this is distancing, and it is much harder to distance from a pair or group. Please think of others.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 04-07-2020, 07:46 AM

If you're living with, sleeping with, kissing, etc... your spouse then aren't you both being exposed when one of you goes to the grocery store? To me, it doesn't seem to matter which one goes out since they'll be going back to the other person at home anyway.

I just go when it's least crowded - I can tell by the parking lot. I wear a mask and stay away as much as possible.

Yesterday I went and a lady was texting standing right in front of the produce I needed. I waited patiently for her to move, then finally had to say "excuse me" and started reaching toward her. She finally came out of her zone, smiled, and moved. I think we're all so accustomed to not having to be 6' apart that we don't think about our actions all the time.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-07-2020, 07:47 AM

I live alone and haven’t left the house, even to shop, in three weeks. Well, I’ve walked the dog of course but otherwise I’ve been using Shipt and Amazon.

If I lived with somebody there would be a designated shopper. I definitely wouldn’t be going out in a group right now... and if I had kids, they wouldn’t be entering a store either.

I definitely see your point about if you’re living with somebody you’re going to share whatever you may pick up anyway- for me it has more to do with limiting the amount of people out and in stores.

Last edited by Lilbitkm; 04-07-2020 at 08:16 AM..
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-07-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
If you're living with, sleeping with, kissing, etc... your spouse then aren't you both being exposed when one of you goes to the grocery store? To me, it doesn't seem to matter which one goes out since they'll be going back to the other person at home anyway.
This is my thinking. Originally, we were going to have DH do all the shopping because he's out working anyway. But I'm just as likely to be an asymptomatic carrier as he is if we're sharing space and "droplets," and if we both follow the same sanitizing protocol, isn't it six in one and half dozen in the other?
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 04-07-2020, 08:32 AM

Mhugs...

Hannaford is limiting the amount of people in the store - 75 for the bigger stores and 50 for the smaller stores.

My DH is a Hannaford produce manager and he was managing the lines yesterday with his clicker app keeping track!

He also says they are catching up on stock, but some things may have limited availability, especially later in the day.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 04-07-2020, 08:50 AM

I'm lucky to have my daughter doing our shopping but I'd never send my husband. He'd panic if he had to make a substitution because they were out of something on the list and then he'd come home with every pastry that was available.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 04-07-2020, 09:00 AM

I try and do a Walmart order every couple of weeks, but if we need a few things in between time DH goes. I always give him one of these.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Shopping
Old 04-07-2020, 01:56 PM

My husband is still going to work everyday in a prison, so donīt get me started on what he could be exposed to daily. I am working from home and my dd is home here with me. He went to the store last because heīs already going our everyday anyway at work.

However, my thought is the same as above. If he gets infected and comes back to me....then what is the difference which one of us goes?
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 04-07-2020, 02:28 PM

My husband is doing all of our grocery shopping right now. I am pregnant and havenít been out around others people except for doctorís appointments. I also have 2 small children at home. Dh is an essential worker (pharmacist) so it just makes the most sense for him to grocery shop right now since he already has to be out some anyway.

I will say, it has been quite interesting having him be the family shopper. Before this I was the primary grocery shopper for our family. I donít think he ever really paid much attention to what I bought. The first week he went, he came home with the most random assortment of stuff ever. Some of that was due to low supply of items, but some of it was just him having no clue what we eat on a regular basis. Iíve gotten a lot smarter since thing. I give him a detailed list in the order he will go by the items in the store. I also list notes of possible alternatives if they are out of certain items. Itís going much smoother now.

I am very thankful for him being able to shop for us right now and I do think it is helping to protect our family.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 04-07-2020, 03:05 PM

I do think for younger couples it often makes sense for the husband to do the shopping. My post was in the context of the over 65 set.

Of course if Dad is working while Mom is home with kids, Dad could be the better choice for shopping, since it is unlikely that a trip to the grocery store will increase his risk.

This leads to a question for another thread, if anyone wants to pursue it...
If a spouse is working in a high risk job, do you socially distance in your home? What measures do you take to reduce the risk for other members of your household?

Tessa_Rue

Old 04-07-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
It could be a difference of how much ďviral loadĒ you are exposed to.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 04-07-2020, 05:30 PM

My DH is 9 months younger than me, but is overweight and has high blood pressure and is male so he is probably at higher risk. However, he still has to work so he is doing all the grocery shopping and any going out. I kind of figure limiting only one family member going out is best and since he has to be out anyway....
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 04-07-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
If a spouse is working in a high risk job, do you socially distance in your home? What measures do you take to reduce the risk for other members of your household?
My DH has to strip and shower before he comes in the house nothing comes in with him. I made him buy his own computer keyboard and mouse to use at work so he isnít sharing, and I gave him some Clorox wipes to take care of his shared work area. I figure this may help keep him from bringing it in the house, but if he gets it I am sure Iíll get it. My boys should be safe though. They are teens and donít leave their rooms unless forced to go out in search of all my snacks after they are sure I am asleep.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 04-07-2020, 08:03 PM

I agree the fewer people in the store the better and you do it in a way that is most likely to "flatten the curve." My husband is doing the shopping. Not only is he younger, but he doesn't have risk factors and I do. Even though I'm still exposed to him when he goes out once every two weeks, I'm one step safer.

I'm being very specific and putting the list in store order and going through it with him because he plays helpless at the grocery store. He tried to tell me what things he wasn't going to bother with ( the things I wanted that weren't important to him) and we had our first/only quarantine fight so far.

I'll be so thrilled when I can go to the store again!
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote