The VENT

Distance Learning Participation

>

Guest123

Guest123

Distance Learning Participation
Old 04-06-2020, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Long time poster but signed out because this may not be the most popular opinion, and I didn't want to get directly torn apart, but I really need to get this out.

So...

Like most of you, I've spent a crap load of hours getting distance learning together. We're lucky enough to be a 1:1 school, so all kids who have access to WiFi were able to take their iPads home. Only a few of my kids needed paper packets. We use Showbie, and I organized assignments for my parents broken down into weeks and days, uploaded instructional videos, made videos, posted parent letters, sent out Remind messages, etc. I've. Done. It. All.

Out of 26 kids, I only had five turn their assignments in today. Five. I teach 1st, so their participation is largely based on the parents. My district wanted every grade level to assign the same things. I think my grade level assigned a bit too much, but I'm low person on the totem pole and don't feel comfortable saying anything. Granted, this is the first day, but I'm not real optimistic this is going to get better. I sent out a letter a week ago detailing and telling parents what to expect on this day.

I'm frustrated because I spent a lot of time organizing things to be as easy as possible for parents, and the participation still sucked. Thing is, though, I'm not really mad at them. My family is luckier than a lot in my area. I'm still getting paid, and my husband is a first responder, so his paycheck is steady. I can't even begin to imagine what some parents are feeling like who are wondering where/if/when their next paycheck will be. Or some who are still working and have to juggle working full-time, and then have to do schoolwork when they get home. I have four families from single parent homes, and I know some who are out of work.

I'm just frustrated. It's like there's no way to do right by everyone during this whole thing.

SoDone

Old 04-06-2020, 11:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds like you did an amazing job getting assignments and concise instructions out there. You've done what is required of you and you just have to wash your hands of it. None of us can control what these kids do or do not get done during this time and there's frankly way more important issues going on than our assignments. Maybe more will start to participate as the days go by.

I've had 2 out of 108 actually submit anything. It is frustrating to put effort into these things but now you can be assured that when/if parents need it, your guidance is right there for them.
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 04-07-2020, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I knows itís so frustrating to get so little participation. Just remember we have parents still working full time, parents that have lost their jobs, parents that are nurses and doctors, EMTs and other people working on the front line. Just keep touching base with them but realize there are things more important right now than school work in many many households.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Remote Supporter Role
Old 04-07-2020, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We're ahead of you by a few weeks and I can tell you that the first week is the toughest. Even though you know you wrote it all out for them, some parents still need you to tell them exactly what to do each day. I'm in my fourth week and I'm still doing that for some even though it's all written out day-by-day.

First, give them time to finish it today - some of mine do their work in the evening rather than during normal school hours. If you can, try emailing them personally tomorrow: Hello, it's Day 2 and your child should do X, Y, and Z today. Please let me know if you have any questions.' The good news is that you should be able to cut-and-paste if you originally typed it. Emailing them directly will help some parents to get started even though we know it shouldn't be necessary! Over time you should have less parents to support but in my experience some will need it daily. Many will improve, some may never respond, but at least you've tried. Your job is changing from planner to supporter now. Good luck to you!

Last edited by Youthcantknow; 04-07-2020 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Forgot a title
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

I agree 100%
Old 04-07-2020, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This entire situation is a case of “you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.”

I have 40 kids. I’ve received work from 5 of them consistently since we shut down three weeks ago. I haven’t heard from another 30. And the last five turn in work sporadically or half done. I’ve posted all the lessons I’m required to, plus a fun thing everything just to cheer kids up. I’ve emailed every student. I attempted to contact parents. And today, I actually got a google doc submitted that said “I don’t have any.” It was supposed to be a 5-7 sentence paragraph about personality traits.

We can’t grade. We can’t hold them accountable. We are killing our selves to make this work but we ARE NOT THE ONLY STAKEHOLDERS. There is only so much we can do.

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 04-07-2020, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My daughterís 1st grade teacher uses google classroom. She started assigning the work on a weekly basis so itís due on Fridays yet with a flexible due date. I like this best as you can decide which assignments to do each day & divide it up how u want. When she gave super long math assignments I broke those down to 2 days each. This works well.... originally she had them due specific days, but the weekly thing is a bit better. Weíve been doing this since midMarch and will remain doing it til June.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-07-2020, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
It's like there's no way to do right by everyone during this whole thing.
This. There's not. And there's no way to be equitable. And there's no way for each child to get what they need. And there's never a way to please everyone. Some will always want more. Some will always want less.

Grace. We need to give ourselves and everyone around us so much grace right now.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-07-2020, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Sbkangas5's Message:
Quote:
It's like there's no way to do right by everyone during this whole thing.
This. There's not. And there's no way to be equitable. And there's no way for each child to get what they need. And there's never a way to please everyone. Some will always want more. Some will always want less.
Agreed! I do know that one of my peer teachers made phone calls to people who hadn't participated in her assignments/meets. She has finally heard from all of them at least once. Some of them do all the work right away, a bigger number do it sporatically. 2 haven't done anything since she made phone contact. The one who has a teacher as a parent complained because she was asking them to do things. Go figure..
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote