Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Labor of Love! (mask made)

>

tia

Labor of Love! (mask made)
Old 04-07-2020, 09:01 PM

i just spent the last 2 hours making a mask for my husband. (he works at a grocery store.)

i have been waiting on a delivery of filter fabric to create some masks...but it's still a long way off, so i decided to just make one sans filter for now.

the pattern i used had me sewing binding tape down the sides to hem and then be used as ties. (i am also waiting on binding tape since i don't sew--i just do easy stitching projects.) thought i could just stitch the sides together and then realized that wouldn't work, so i MADE MY OWN "bias tape" out of the same fabric.

this is what took the most time--i took 3-foot long, 1.5 inch wide strips of fabric and turned the sides in and hemmed--then wrapped those around the sides of masks and sewed like it was binding tape.

i had an issue at first and stumbled 3 times--(even though i'd already sewn the top and bottom of mask)...read through Instruction Manual (NEW machine) in the Troubleshooting section...wasn't really helpful so found a video--checked bobbin--it was fine--then checked needle thread--oh! somehow i had missed a mechanism--or the thread came out--fixed that--smooth sailing from there on out.

phew! proud of my perseverance and creativity!

the top of the mask has a wire sewn into the middle to mold around nose. (i have been stockpiling plastic coated wire bread ties and a plastic coated paper clip for these...but what i used was a plastic coated Christmas tree ornament hook that i found in the carpet when exercising yesterday!)

Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 04-07-2020, 10:20 PM

It looks great and you really persevered through a lot. Your husband should be grateful.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Filters
Old 04-08-2020, 02:02 AM

Two filters I've seen online are coffee filters and vacuum cleaner bags. The vacuum cleaner bags were recommended by a doctor on a YouTube video. You can even download templates of his patterns. He used Hoover Hepa filter vacuum bags but the "Hepa" bags weren't available on Amazon so I bought regular bags. Blue shop towels that you find at hardware stores may be good filters too.

I tried a simple no sew mask last night, a piece of clothe and rubber bands. The filters easily fit in one of the folds. When I actually use it I will throw away the filter and wash the "mask". I think that should work.

I like the idea of the twist ties. I could tape one to the top of the filter. Then throw both away and wash the clothe.
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 04-08-2020, 03:29 AM

Never thought of bread ties! Genius!! Iím making more masks and will give them a shot. Yes, I have a collection of them (and also collect the white plastic bag closures on bags of potatoes and bread for electrical cords that go to specific items.)
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I have used
Old 04-08-2020, 03:35 AM

pipe cleaners, known as chenille stems, in the masks I am making. Oh, learned that name after searching for a long, long time ordering craft supplies for first grade.

I have also used some florist wire I had left over from a craft. I encased it ins some fabric before sewing it in.

What I am searching for most is what to use for a filter. I made the masks with a pocket for a filter, but am not sure what to use that is still available. Any ideas?

chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Chipmnky...
Old 04-08-2020, 04:04 AM

On the YouTube video, "a doctor explains how to make the safest face mask" the doctor recommended hepa filters because they block out 99% of all the bad stuff. The video also shows how his wife makes the masks. Her method is too complicated for me. I can handle cutting out a shape and inserting it into a no sew mask.

It seems like each day the number of how to videos multiply exponentially. One suggested using air filters used for your home. That doesn't sound safe at all.
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

tia
Old 04-08-2020, 04:35 AM

I am so proud of your determination! If needed, the next one should be easier.
liberty teach is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 04-08-2020, 05:01 AM

Nice job!

About the filters- If you use two layers of cloth it will be fine. Iíve read mixed info on using vacuum cleaner bags. A paper towel or coffee filter should be fine. The more layers, the more difficult it will be to breath, then you may end up taking it off. Two layers and ability to breath is better than three and not being able to breath and taking it off.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-08-2020, 05:19 AM

Hats off to all of us who can sew, have the materials, and can make masks!

The first mask that I made too quite a bit of time, but now I can make one in about 10-15 mins. Watching the videos helped me so very much!

I also feel very lucky that I already have all the materials needed at home to make them!

I must say that, for me, there is a BIG difference in the feeling I get between sewing the usual toddler dresses that I sew, and sewing masks for the virus. The emotional "joy of sewing" is so much more there in sewing the dresses compared to sewing the masks.

It is what it is, and I will carry on!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 04-08-2020, 06:44 AM

To give a little extra protection you can use a coffee filter until your filter fabric arrived. Not the same thing, but I've read it adds that extra layer of protection

teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Tiaís adventures in sewing
Old 04-08-2020, 07:39 AM

You get a gold medal for making your own bias tape. Turning it must have been exhausting and brutal on your fingers. Congratulations on sticking with it.

I believe any thing covering your mouth is going to help. I just saw a video for a no sew one time use mask made from a heavy duty paper napkin and two hair ties.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 04-08-2020, 07:57 AM

i ed at the heavy duty paper napkins! was not exhausting or brutal...so maybe i did it wrong? brand new, new, new (out of box last week) sewing machine...

i think the ties were supposed to be 27 inches, not 36--which would explain why they were soooo long--in addition, i only had a meter tape to eyeball measurement, which i believe would make them 39 inches...? yes--the next one will definitely be easier/faster!

but i about died when i got up and saw 4 (about a foot long each) strips that DH had cut off and thought about all the time/effort it took to fold and sew each side and then sew together

when i was first investigating materials and reading up on what "nonwoven filter material" actually was, felt came up. i do have some felt in my craft area because i've been thinking about making a map of states and capitals (for 3 years now) it's too thick to sew through, but it could be an insert--and definitely washable!

DH actually wore it (and wore it all the way home). he works super early before the store is open, so i told him he might wait until customers start coming in to put it on so he wouldn't be irritated by it for a long period of time. i'm proud of him! (he is a man, after all, and invincible!)
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Filters
Old 04-08-2020, 09:54 AM

My daughter is making masks and using the filter component in furnace filters as her filter.

Furnace filters have an accordion-like filter (the look reminds me of folded interface used in my sewing days). She deconstructed one made by 3M, saving the white filter material. It created a BUNCH, but thatís good because she is in home health care and changes it frequently.
Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 04-08-2020, 01:37 PM

Do not use furnace filters!!!!!

Someone in my Facebook group contacted a company that makes furnace filters and they said they are made to be used in a furnace, not near the face. Do not use them in a mask!!!!!
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote