Help

ARCHIVE

Home visits

>

glinda

Home visits
Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to make home visits to my students prior to or early in the school year. Does anyone have any ideas for initiating the visit or what to do during the visit? I want the parents and kids to be comfortable with the visit.

glinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 05-28-2008, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do home visits prior to the school year starting. (Our whole school does this.) When I get to the home, I hand the parents a letter about my policies and ask them to read it. Then, I have the child show me around a bit and we talk. MAYBE I will have the child read to me, but this often is intimidating for kids, and they feel put on the spot, like they are being tested- especially the weaker readers. I take a picture of the child in their favorite place at home. I use the pictures to create my door decoration, and during the first week of school the kids paint a picture frame and we have those in the classroom all year.

If the child is younger, often teachers have them draw a picture and they use these to decorate the classroom for the first day of school. You could bring materials to do a quick project relating to the beginning of the year theme if you want. Then you can use those to decorate the room. Art is a nice thing to do because you can talk while doing it and get to know the kid, but also see how their fine motor skills are, and maybe the project will have some writing or something along with it.

After I have spent time with the child, the parent has presumably read the letter. I do make a point to tell the parent that this is MY time to get to know the child, and when we are done, we can talk. I will take about 10 minutes to talk to the parent and let them ask me any questions. They will often tell me about the child at this time, including mentioning how talented and gifted their child is, and how much special attention she will need, or give me the low-down on all the child's problems, anxieties and learning disabilities We have a little form we fill out when we are done. I think starting next year there will be something for the parents to fill out about their family culture so we can incorporate more of that into the classroom. I don't know what is on the form.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

glinda

Home visits
Old 05-29-2008, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Great ideas! Thank you very much.
glinda is offline   Reply With Quote