Help

ARCHIVE

AR Bulletin board ideas

>

glinda

AR Bulletin board ideas
Old 07-23-2008, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to see your ideas for an AR bulletin board. I'm thinking of a board that would show students' points to motivate them to read more and take the tests. Thanks!

glinda is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here's a picture of mine: http://www.misshodges.net/photos/JustReadIt.jpg

(Ignore the mess, please... it was a crazy week!)

I have a "book" for every 5 points, and for every 5 points they earn a little something - a sticker, a computer pass, etc. They each have a little car that moves around (because our theme is racing but I wanted to keep my AR board truly about books, so the car was a compromise!). This picture was taken early October, so there are still some cars "in the garage"... Heh. The poster in the middle is for 100's on tests. There are a lot of variants on this idea. You could do something that matches a theme, if you have one.

(My students love this BB, and other students who visit our class... this is the first thing they look at to see how their "rivals" are doing! Heh.)

Hope this helps in some small way!
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote

SraRey

More info please
Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Great board... I love the 100% chart. Could you please post all your "prizes" for each point value?
SraRey is offline   Reply With Quote

conolley

Old 07-23-2008, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't have any pics at the moment, but I have 4 sheets of different colored cardstock each with a different percentage... 25, 50, 75 and 100%. Each week when the we get the printout of AR points I tell the kids where they're at and they get to move their name up to the appropriate percentage. (My theme is stars so I just punched out little die-cut stars and wrote their names with silver sharpie.) I also try to motivate the kids with little incentives when they reach a new milestone... Bookmark, eraser, etc.

I go by percentages instead of points. We set the goals for individual students' abilities, so I think this is the best way to show it. Last year I had kids ranging from 1st grade to 6th grade reading levels trying to reach all sorts of different goals. I try to keep the points side of their goals more private.
conolley is offline   Reply With Quote

Michele10

AR board ideas
Old 07-23-2008, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Are you doing a theme?

Racing- Race track with cars

sports- baseball field with points on bases

jungle- "We're banana's about AR" with monkey and tree. I had bunches of bananas with AR points on them kids names on monkeys

camping- I used ants with students names on them and plates with the points on them. Put a table cloth on the bulletin board "AR is a Picnic" Too cute!

games- Game of Life

Here are some pics of some of mine

Attached Images
File Type: jpg proteacher-100_0368.JPG (53.6 KB, 553 views)
Michele10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Michele10

here is the other pic
Old 07-23-2008, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hate that you can' t post more than one at a time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proteacher-100_0665.JPG (73.1 KB, 471 views)
Michele10 is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

M&M's
Old 07-23-2008, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We did a school wide board one year. Each point value was assigned a color and we put them on a big board. Guess I should say what we did--duhhh long day. We die cut out circles of different colors.

10 pt=red
25 pt=orange
50 pt=green
75=blue
100 pt=yellow
etc.

We gave some sort of prize for each level. I can't remember exactly what but it increased in value as they go more points.
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

SraRey
Old 07-23-2008, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I will be going into school tomorrow and will list them out for you then. I think I'm going to be changing some, but it will give an idea anyway.
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Jewelnut14

Ideas for Patriotic Theme?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm doing a Patriotic theme...any ideas for AR?

Last year my kid's favorite rewards were the ones that didn't cost me anything...lunch with the teacher (I waited until 2-4 students earned this, then we would take lunch back to the classroom...they wanted to turn on the TV, but I wouldn't let them, told them we were going to "visit" while we ate and after a few minutes of talking went by the TV was forgotten.) Another favorite was sitting at my desk and a variation was sitting in my swivel chair (at their desk) all day...15 min. of extra recess - I worked with another teacher on this one.
Jewelnut14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolina Girl

AR No Cost Rewards
Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our team has used "Read to a younger class." We have a certificate that we make up for this for a certain number of points. Once a student reaches that amount, they take their certificate to the teacher of the class of their choice to get the teacher's permission and a day and time.

Another no cost idea we've done is to award a certificate "Sit with a friend at lunch." This can be a friend from another 3rd grade class or from their own class. If it's a student from another class, they take the certificate early in the day to notify the teacher and get permission. They sit at the table in the cafeteria that is reserved for guests.

No homework passes are great awards.

Carolina Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

tbsrwilson

Patriotic AR
Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You could do stars on a flag for points or tests taken.
tbsrwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

AR bulletin board
Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This isn't exactly a bulletin board, per se. In our hallway we have a commercial number line that goes from 0 to 100. It is about halfway up on the wall so the kids can reach it. We keep up with the children's points on the computer, and the program tells us what percentage of their personal goal they have earned. So each child has some sort of cut-out to post on the number line to show how much of their 6 weeks goal they have earned with the intent of getting to 100 by the end of the grading period. We have a big laminated arrow that says "You should be here by Friday." that we move each week--to 16 the first week, then to 33, then to 50 and so on. Each teacher posts a phrase to go with their class cut-outs. Mine last year was "3A is BLASTING toward their goals!" with rocket ships. Another teacher had frogs "hopping", another had cars "racing", etc. This year I have star cut-outs and will change my phrase to read "Shooting toward our goals in 3A".
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

glinda

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you all for such great ideas.
glinda is offline   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

AR Pic
Old 07-24-2008, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Here's mine...Students put a sticker on an animal each time they pass a test...They had to have 20 stickers before they moved on to the next animal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SL380325.JPG (147.0 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by DiamondGirl; 07-24-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling and added attachment
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Stacysmom

How do you get things to stick to your walls?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I noticed in your picture that you also have the concrete brick walls. How do you get anything to stick to them? I have tried everything I can think of and it all eventually falls off.

Thanks!
Stacysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

To Stacey
Old 07-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This happens to be a cork/bulleting board, so I just use a stapler.

For when I do hang up things on brick, I just use masking tape.
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

drock4

No Cost Rewards
Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My team hosts "AR Parties" for students that meet their quarterly reading goal. We decide on a theme and then come up with games and activities that relate to the theme. There are 4 teachers on our team so we have 4 different game/activity rotations!

Before the start of the party we hand out certificates to the students for reaching their reading goal for the quarter.

In the fall we usually have a "fall festival"
type of theme. One of the rotations for that theme was a "candy apple" station! The students got to make and eat their candy apple.

We ask for parent volunteers to help with each rotation and ask the parents of those attending the celebration to donate any juice boxes or other snacks/items that may be needed. The kids and parents love it.

If some students do not meet their goal, they get a jump start on their reading for the following quarter and attend a "read - a - thon" during this time.
drock4 is offline   Reply With Quote

mary.lu

Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

To Tweet, I love the idea of posting the percentage earned of the goal rather than the points! That is exactly what I am going to do this year! Our grade has a goal as far as points are concerned for the end of the year, but I have the kids make their own six weeks goals. I was a little confused on how to enter that in correctly in AR, but I am going to figure it out this year and get it started the first six weeks.
Instead of giving prizes last year, I let those who had reached their goal come have a picnic in the classroom with me. They really liked that.
mary.lu is offline   Reply With Quote
MichelleMarie

MichelleMarie

Goals, not points
Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Instead of a bulletin board showing their points, make one that supports their progress toward meeting their goal. That way, students who are slower readers are not penalized. You could do something like a race and mark off at 25%, 50% 75% and 100%. Cutouts representing the students (runners, animals or whatever) could make there way across until they reach 100% of goal.