Help

ARCHIVE

What can I expect in 2nd grade?

>

beckyg325

What can I expect in 2nd grade?
Old 08-26-2006, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All, Last year I taught 3rd grade and the year before that I taught 1st grade. I am now sandwiched in the middle with 2nd. I was just wondering what to expect from second graders at the beginning and beyond in the school year? academcially? socially? behaviorally?

Also, are there are any cute ideas for ice breakers during the first week?

Thanks all!

beckyg325 is offline   Reply With Quote

missy78343

Old 08-27-2006, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my 3rd year teaching second grade and I love it. This is a great age. I love it because most of them are still really sweet and want to please the teacher. What you have to remember is that they are still really young especially in the beginning. They mature as the year goes on and will eventually be able to work independently a little more. Socially they are also very sweet. I am amazed at how kind and sweet most of them can be. Last year I had a child who had accidents almost daily. I never heard one mean remark to or about him. I was really worried because as you know kids can sometimes be really cruel. But my students were very kind to him. When I first taught 2nd grade I was used to teaching older kids so I had to remember to slow down and model everything. Overall I think you will love 2nd grade. Get ready for alot of hugs and tons of picutures that they draw for you.
As for a ice breaker during the 1st week I did one that they really liked. It was the all about me bag. I did mine first and then they did theirs for homework. They love these and allows us to get to know each other.
I hope this helps.
Missy
missy78343 is offline   Reply With Quote

loo

Old 08-27-2006, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Since you have already taught 1st grade, this should be relatively easy for you. The first few months of 2nd grade, the students are really just taller 1st graders. They need to be taught what it means to be a 2nd grader. By lots of modeling and encouragement, you will train them to be more responsible, independent, and be able to work in larger chunks of time. Good luck, you'll go great!
loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Black Fox

Black Fox

Just Wait!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm not sure when you wrote this message- However, as a second grade teacher, I pray you will have an experience such as my own. I couldn't imagine working with any other grade. They come to you already reading a bit and as the year continues, you get to be the one to watch them blossom in this area. They are so excited about the fact that they can read and read well, I might add. Around Christmas, sometimes sooner, depending on that first child getting it started, you will see the excitement even in chapter books- such as Junie B. Jones. There's no better thrill in my opinion as to see the excitement from them. Socially- there can be drama if you allow it. I personally have a zero tolerance for any kinds of this. Even tattling- I have a discussion and teach them the difference in good vs. bad tattling. If it's not a good tattle (petty) I fowl them out and they have to write three good traits about that one they just tattled on. Amazingly, this stops the tattling within the first few weeks of school. They are precious at this age. You may have your stinker, but just remember- always keep positive and you will win him/her over everytime. God bless and have a great year.