The VENT

No math textbook

>

Expateach

No math textbook
Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi.
I am a Grade 5 homeroom teacher teaching internationally. I have 14 students. I have 2 copies of their math textbook. I am supposed to use that and photocopy when necessary. The lack of colour photocopying sometimes makes exercises not doable.

I was going to ask my administrator to purchase enough texts for all. Is this a reasonable request or are teachers these days not using textbooks?

Looking forward to hearing from you out there.

Expateach.

Expateach is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

Old 12-02-2010, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have access to any type of technology? If you can scan a page from the textbook, you can project it on a screen using a computer hooked up to a projector. Before we had smartboards, we would project a page onto the whiteboard and write on it, and around it. You can't save your work like you can with a smartboard but it was better than a lack of textbooks.

We do use textbooks. I believe it is part developing reading skills (informational text). However, I have 8 math textbooks for a class of 23. Our series came with a disk that has the textbook on it. I don't have to scan anymore. I also print off certain pages from the disk. They are not in colour though.
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

newbieteach

Old 12-02-2010, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it is ridiculous that you only have 2 textbooks for your whole class. We have enough textbooks for each student. I didn't realize that I should be thankful that we do. I thought that was just something that was a necessity. I do not think it is asking too much to have textbooks.
I guess you could scan and project them but I find that the students pay attention more when they actually have a copy. Also, I am guessing you do not assign work from the textbook either. I sometimes assign homework.
I'm sorry you have to deal with this. We should have the basic materials to teach. They expect us to produce miracles with no resources.

Last edited by newbieteach; 12-02-2010 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Oops, spelling mistake.
newbieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Expateach

Thanks newbieteach
Old 12-02-2010, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for your support. We don't have a scanner or smartboard. We have a projection system to use with Powerpoint but I don't have a way to get the text projected. I teach in Europe. I think there is an educational philosophy that teacher's should not use textbooks. But then we are reinventing the wheel every night. We have enough to do. I basically piece together work from free math websites. But then the instructions are different, and the fonts, the kids don't know what to expect. I don't have as much control over the work for them, the language and even symbols are different.
I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I accepted this job. Hopefully my school director will understand my position. We don't have a vp, principal, or math head either.
Again, thanks.

Expateach

Thanks Suezie
Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have the screen beaming system attached to a pc but no scanner and no simple overhead projector. I have never taught Grade 5 math and never taught math without having at least 1 text for every 2 students. So now come early December and admin may not be too happy with how far the class has come or what we've done.
Back in September I bought Grade 5 Basic Math Skills pdf from Evan-moor. But it is not meatty enough, it could only be used as a little extra work. An unfortunate waste of my money. I actually wonder about a lot of Evan-moor products I have bought.
Our school does not have much money so I am wondering if there is an online textbook all my kids could use if we booked the IT room 1 period per day. Hopefully the online text would be interestingly interactive for the kids and also have assessments and extra work I can print out to have the students complete when in class and not the IT room and also to complete for homework.
Thanks Suezie.

broomrider

I'm wondering
Old 12-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you can "do the math" and compare the cost of photocopying the textbook page by page with ordering textbooks enough for the class. You might look at local products to save some on shipping. It may well be that the school would save money by getting the texts. I expect your principal would be responsive to saving money along with achievement.

Some places are replacing a huge textbook with study lessons as used in Japan or Singapore Math--a few math problems deeply studied by students and discussed in depth with the various solutions and strategies the students use to solve them. Might this be part of the reason behind the lack of texts?

Here is a reference for some articles introducing Singapore Math (lots of worksheets on line if you search engine it) and Japanese Math Study
http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles...should-198.php

While not a complete math program, I'm referencing some supplements, below that might help keep you going while you work on getting the books.

For some additional support for math, I really like Marilyn Burns' stuff at Math Solutions. Here is the URL for some free lessons from her materials
http://www.mathsolutions.com/index.c...e=wp9&crid=122 I hope it comes through.

KenKen puzzles from the NYTimes might be fun for your students http://www.nytimes.com/ref/crosswords/kenken.html

Hope this helps a bit. I'm sorry you were misled about your teaching situation abroad. I hope you are able to have some fine experiences there, anyway.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Expateach

Old 12-02-2010, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks very much for the information and links. I think I was a little misinformed but more I should have asked more questions. I also should have maybe seen this problem coming in September and started working on solutions. Hindsight.

angelajw

Math
Old 12-02-2010, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Here is a helpful website you can use.

http://www.eduplace.com/math/hmm/

It may not be the exact textbook that you are using but you can find the same skill that you are teaching. You can print off worksheets for the whole class to use or have them complete the problems in a journal as you do them on the projector. I hope you can project on whiteboard so you can write along with them. Otherwise you might try hanging a shower curtain that you can pull tight and write on. Do they have workbooks? I can't imagine not having any curriculum. There are math programs that do not have math books but still rely on worksheets so that the whole class is still working together.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote