Help

Sixth Grade

Independent Reading Contract?

>

Expateach

Independent Reading Contract?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am teaching Grade 6 English. Does anyone have any Independent Reading Contract packages they can share with me either by posting here or emailing me?

Cheers.
Expateach

Expateach is offline   Reply With Quote

chocaholic

expateach
Old 08-13-2011, 11:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome!

First, I notice your choice of user name and wonder if you are an expat somewhere? Your info says you are in Canada but I wonder if you, like me, are a Canadian teaching abroad? Not meaning to pry, but there a number of us International teachers on this board.

Second, I highly recommend you read "The Book Whisperer" (google it) to develop your independent reading program. If your admin/district allows you some flexibility, you can use some of the ideas in this book to nurture an independent reading life in your students.

I teach LA/SS for 6th and I require them to read 40 books this year in various genres. That's over and above our read alouds and the stories/novels we read as a group. To keep track and make sure they are reading, I do various things, but the big/most tangible one is a Reflection Letter that they write to me once a week about what they are reading. We also engage in Book chats, recommendations (a big part of my ind.reading program) and "Status of the Class"(from Steven Layne's Igniting a Passion for Reading).

Sorry I don't have a contract to attach. I have spent so many years doing Logs and Contracts and I find that they don't help. Avid readers may or may not be organized to fill them out. Parents often sign whether the kid read or not. Kids lie on them, in my experience.
Instead, we keep track of our books on a Reading List and we also keep a section of our notebook for Books To Read where we write down recommendations for others, etc. This is more effective and motivating IMHO.

Hope this helps!
chocaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Expateach

Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 11:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks very much. I am teaching in Indonesia.
Contracts are useful for me in that I want some work to be given to the kids based around what they aread. But I may buy some Reader Response material from Amazon instead.
Expateach is offline   Reply With Quote