Help

First Grade

Go Math!

>

Chubra

Go Math!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone out there using Go Math in first grade? My school just started using it this year and my first graders seem lost! The strategies presented to teach addition and subtraction seem too complicated for the children to grasp. Anyone experiencing similar problems? Help!

Chubra is offline   Reply With Quote

bocalopez

Go Math
Old 12-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We started Go Math last school year. The children need a LOT of practice! They do get it and grasp the concepts quicker. We are in our second year and the class moves through the chapters very quickly. If you have access to computers, use the website as reinforcement. Have Fun!
bocalopez is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingAll

Go Math
Old 12-06-2011, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

UGH!!! It is my first year with this new series as well. I really dislike it. It's not the concepts I have a problem with, but how they present them. The "Make 10 to Add" strategy is one of the most poorly thought out topics in the book so far. I feel like there was not enough thought put into the process of presenting the material to the kids. Did they rush just to be common core compliant? There must be a better way!!!
TeachingAll is offline   Reply With Quote

Chubra

Old 12-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree. The concepts are pretty basic, it's the way the children go about demonstrating understanding that is confusing! We are working on Chapter 4 and the children had to make a ten to subtract! It was really a lesson about counting up. Why the confusion? And the bar models!!!! Any suggestions would be welcome.

rusty

Be selective
Old 12-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We've had the series for two years... I agree it is very confusing for beginning first graders...the sequence is all wrong --it gets really hard fast and then the end of the book deals with patterns and shapes....stuff the kids know from Kindergarten. I'm skipping pages and making up my own games, etc. Their games are either too lame or too hard. We play cards and use dominoes alot. My advice is to be selective....you know your kids and what they can do... don't stress them out with complicated math problems. Some first graders are just not ready for mental math.

rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

To follow Rusty...
Old 12-07-2011, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No one says you have to take the program and do it in order! I am using a different program but every year I start with Patterns first (it happens to be first in this program I am using). It's a pretty simple concept to start them off with and it is quick to get through too.
bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

Chubra

Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks! Your advice is reassuring. I just stress that if I don't expose them to all the methods in the book (bar models, making a 10 to add and subtract, etc), they won't be prepared for what they have to do in 2nd grade. What kinds of things do you do with cards and dominoes?

read4riel

old post response
Old 11-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am purposely responding to this old post to see how things went since it's been a year. This is my first year using Go Math and I feel like I am drowning. I do not like it at all. I've been trying to use it and include supplemental materials as well but overall I think my math instruction this year stinks!!!
read4riel is offline   Reply With Quote

Squirl

This does not make me feel good...
Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My district is adopting this series for the upcoming school year...

How did it end up going for you all? I'm not sure how I feel about our change now. I was really excited to be getting rid of Everyday Math, but now I'm not sure what I think...
Squirl is offline   Reply With Quote

BigDaddyBo

Go Math
Old 05-19-2013, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This is my first year using Go Math (4th grade), and I love it. It is difficult, but in a good way. My students have made great gains throughout the year.

It is lots of reading and story questions, so poor readers will struggle, but even so I have been pleased with the series.

It will take time to get used to, and we struggled at first, but once we got better teaching it, and the kids got used to using it we soared to success.

BigDaddyBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

first grade go math!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We just completed our first year of SEVEN with Go Math! and I was NOT impressed. I am looking for how others have rearranged the order of the chapters to flow a little easier and not overwhelm the kids from the very start! The amount of higher order/abstract thinking and READING that is required at the beginning is outrageous! I actually abandoned the color workbook pages and only use the practice pages. The tests did not seem to go into as much of that nitty gritty abstract thinking, either. I was very impressed with my kids' end of year test. All passed at at least 80% mastery (except on 78) with an average of 93%! That was comforting! After the many frustrated days of lessons I looked at and said to myself, "You've GOT to be kidding me!" Anyone reworking your order and want to share!?

Last edited by Melissa/1st/TN; 05-28-2013 at 09:00 AM..
Melissa/1st/TN is offline   Reply With Quote

BCC

Old 02-02-2015, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree with everything you said Melissa! We have started with the data chapter for the past few years. This year we continued with chapter 11 and 12, then returned to chapter 1.
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote