Help

The VENT

State Testing Anyone?

>

Helena 12305

State Testing Anyone?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anybody out there having state assessments? Good Lord, I had a meltdown today just trying to get my kids to comprehend that they couldn't talk, ask questions, get up to sharpen pencils, or go blow their noses. We were taking a "practice test" from a practice booklet and it was awful. They kept dropping the calculators, answer sheets, and booklets the whole time. This is third grade and the most immature group I have ever seen. Oh, and they love to argue that the correct answer is not there...they made a mistake! GASP! They drove me crazy today. If my paycheck will be determined by this bunch I won't get paid a dime. Arkansas has their state assessments coming up around April 11. God help us...

Helena 12305 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 03-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Lol. I had the same problems/worries. We did a practice run and even thought I told them, NO HELP, what do they do? Raise their hand.
They wiggled, they jiggled, they whispered, they got up, they complained it was, 'too hard', etc.

Well, we finished 3 rounds of testing (1 in Feb., 2 in Mar.) and they were angels. Quiet as mice, focused, etc. It was so nice to look out at them and see them working diligently, soooo unlike the practice run.

Now, whether they answered the questions correctly or not, who knows! I have sooo many dingbats (said with the utmost affection) this year that I know my scores won't match last years!

Glad to be done, even though I think it is ridiculous that we test when there are 2-3 months of school left and SO much to teach.

Good luck!
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

ang6073

Same problem today
Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I decided I'd talk to my 3rd grade resource students about what they could expect during state testing (the walls covered, no help, reading on their own, just sitting after it's over, etc.). WOW, it blew them away!!! They couldn't even grasp that I would be taking down the charts on the walls and covering up the word walls.

Then we had to take our state mandated progress monitoring test that is given 3 times a year on the computer. One student had it time out on him twice because he was reading so slowly. I guess we'll try again tomorrow.

I'm really concerned about our state testing.
ang6073 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We start rdg assessments on Monday.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We do ours on computers, and we've taken several practice tests already. I think they've got the routine down, but they were blown away on the math assessments by the new common core questions that won't count towards their scores. It really messed with their minds.
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

subczy

could you
Old 03-30-2012, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Trying to be helpful here....

show them a video snippet fo what proper test taking look like? If you can't find video of people in a library at a computer or actual test taking can you and your grade level make a little video or request the h.s. media class make one for you?

Can you have supplies ready for them such as pencils, scratch paper, tissue packs, candies to suck on?

Can they use things they usually use during tests such as folder "offices" in between them that visually let them know they are taking a test? (we do ours on computer)

Hope this helps!

subczy is offline   Reply With Quote
songremains1

songremains1

State Testing
Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, testing season is in the air! I am teaching for two tests: AP and state test for all classes! I have a great group of motivated students this go-around. However, I have taught groups that were very unmotivated. With unmotivated students the pressure is really on because the teacher takes the heat if the students don't pass. My only advice to anyone teaching state tested courses is to document everything you do. Document attendance (present, tardy, excused, in school suspension, field trips, check-in, check-outs, etc). Document reviews. Document materials that you gave them. When students miss assignments, have them ready to personally hand to the student when they return. It's tiring, but, in the end, you have evidence that you are indeed teaching/trying to help students achieve success.

Xb4me

Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My grade level is one which experiences state testing for the first time. To properly prepare my students, we practice proper testing behavior all year during weekly assessments. This preparation includes how to take notes and testing stamina. Students learn to sit quietly for extended periods of time. I encourage them to think, remember a fun memory, plan a visit with a friend, imagine doing something fun and so on. Most students including those with ADD are capable of this, but it takes time to master this skill. If it is not practiced, it is impossible to expect students to know how to act.
Xb4me is offline   Reply With Quote

pen&paper

Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

State testing! UGH! We'll be on vacation for 12 days, and they're back one day with testing starting the following day. It's just terrible. Who came up with that schedule??? We also recently had a 4 day weekend and it was as if the kids forgot everything. This year in particular, the kids are incredibly low, low, low. I keep getting word that the P is concerned and wants a bigger bunch of students take these support classes, but I'm wondering: didn't she hear me complain all year? Why worry only now?
pen&paper is offline   Reply With Quote