Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Everyday Math???

>

momx2andteach

Everyday Math???
Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm going to be piloting M.H.'s Everyday Math (2nd grade) next school year. My district is looking at several others and we'll adopt it the year after next. Anyone use Everyday Math? What do you think of it?

Thanks!

momx2andteach is offline   Reply With Quote

lovemyjob1

Everyday Math
Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district has been using it for 10+ years. It is very overwhelming at first. I actually like it, but I am sure you will hear mixed reviews.

Are you getting trained?

There is an Everyday math group here on PT, but there aren't always a lot of updates.

Our math supervisor just provided a helpful link that shows teacher videos and other resources. I will try to post the link here. I know there is a way to do it and I will try, but I have seen some links that don't post right.

Good luck.
lovemyjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

Edm
Old 04-19-2012, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't like it at all, but we have had it for so long I don't know much about anything else that is out there now.

The 2012 version is a bit better than the 2004 that we used until finally upgrading this year. There is a specific issues with the new version that you may want to be aware of. I teach 3rd, but keep hearing from the 2nd grade teachers that their students are getting homework with a few "review" problems with trade first subtraction at the bottom. The problem is they haven't taught trade first yet and the students don't know how to do it. Trade first used to be introduced right after partial sums. In the new version it was moved to later in the year. That is good, but it seems EDM forgot to update the homework.

Good luck with the pilot. EDM is designed to spiral and build on the year before so the first year is really challenging.
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

pen&paper

Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used Everyday Math for many years. I know some kids really struggle with it. And their parents are so baffled by the language and games that they can't explain the concepts at home. I end up having to have meetings just to teach the parents. Mathboxes. Math links. It's just as annoying as going into Starbucks and trying to order a medium coffee. To me, it just takes away what math should be.

I much prefer a program called Singapore Math. Wow, that's a wonderful program. It really helps the kids to problem solve. Much, much better than that crazy "lattice" multiplication. I mean, when do you ever see kids using that lattice technique other than in 3rd grade math class?
pen&paper is offline   Reply With Quote

kster

Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like it but it there is a ton of work at first making games and such.

kster is offline   Reply With Quote

reesespieces

Old 04-20-2012, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I did my student teaching, the district I was in used EDM and I had to learn it myself before I could teach it! One of my placements was 5th grade and it was difficult at first because it's not the "traditional" way I was taught. I agree w/PP about the parents being flustered because they don't understand the new language. If I remember correctly, there's a little "parent note" you can send home with each new chapter to help them with the new vocabulary. I did like all of the games!
reesespieces is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Em
Old 04-20-2012, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I personally did not care for Everyday Math when I used it BUT it was definitely better than Saxon Math which we were using previously. The county I was in recently adopted EnVision and I have heard great things about it. Currently, I am using Math in Focus (Singapore Math) and LOVE it which is not typical for most curriculums.

Everyday Math spirals, as does Saxon Math and to me those are the most frustrating curriculums especially for students that struggle with math in general.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Edm
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have the 2004 version. It is very teacher language dependent if you follow the Teachers' Edition faithfully--very difficult for ELLs. The spiral is interesting because it touches on a topic, moves to another and later comes back to the topic. If kids don't get it the first time they have another chance, rather than suffering through a whole unit of addition or time experiencing failure. However, kids also don't get much mass practice to get real mastery of any topic.

In first grade (my grade), almost every topic is introductory and no mastery is really expected, yet the students are tested and now the teacher's continued employment is partially dependent on those test scores.

There is not much manipulative use indicated in the teachers' edition, yet they do ask you to buy a manipulative kit. The games are good for reinforcing concepts, but not everyone is willing to be seen doing games at math time. If your principal doesn't buy in (or attend training) s/he won't understand what you are doing.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

lovemyjob1

Sorry...
Old 04-21-2012, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I tried to go into my work email to post the link with the resources/videos for EDM (sent by my math sup) and I haven't been able to get into my work email (from home) for the last 2 days. Weird, this never happens. When I can get in, I will try and post!

lovemyjob1

Not sure if this will work but....
Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

here is the link for EDM.

http://vlc.cemseprojects.org/

Lakeside

Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What I like -
There are lots of games, and I think that works really well for a lot of kids.
There is review built in.
It comes (at least at our school) with on-line resources so they don't have to carry home the heavy text, only the workbook.

What I don't like -
It introduces things at very different times than I would choose.
The math boxes can be frustrating for kids because along with the review, they throw in "teasers" for topics yet to come.
Multiple methods are taught right from the start, which I think confuses more kids than it helps. (I would teach the traditional methods, and then move on to things like lattice only for kids who clearly need a different method.)
I don't think it spends enough time on some topics for them to really sink in before moving on.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

something better
Old 04-24-2012, 02:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've been using EDM for about 10 years and use it less and less. Now with the common core, it seems like it is harder to teach this way and I supplement heavily. Second grade is so random and that trade first problem makes parents think I'm not doing my job even though I tell them IT ISN'T TAUGHT UNTIL UNIT 11!!!!!! Learning facts using EDM is very ineffective.

The reason our math scores went up a bit when we first started is that they were about the first ones to give homework each night and that review helps a lot. Surely there has to be something better. When we did our last adoption, the vote went to EDM because the teachers knew it by then (sort of a lazy choice) and we had invested so much money in the supplies and supplements.
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

pkthru3

Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I totally agree with you ConnieG, agree with learning math facts with EDM is ineffective. My first grade team, would like to try Rocket Math, so that are students are more fluent with recalling math facts quickly. I don't really care for EDM.
pkthru3 is offline   Reply With Quote

momx2andteach

Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks for the feedback. It doesn't sound like anyone really likes it - I hope the year goes ok. If it spirals then it really doesn't sound like we'll end up adopting it since common core doesn't spiral! I have trailblazers right now and don't care for it, so I'm at least excited for a little change!

Thanks again!
momx2andteach is offline   Reply With Quote

lovemyjob1

Too funny...
Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My partner teacher just purchased Rocket Math for us to share today!!! I am looking over the directions now. I am wondering how I am going to keep up with who is on what level!!! It looks motivating, though.

teachrchick

Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I guess I'm in the minority here but I actually really like Everyday Math! I find it enjoyable to teach and I feel like the students are very engaged. They love the many games and opportunity for partner and group work that goes along with the program. There are other ways to practice basic facts aside from this program. Our school adopted Fastt Math through Scholastic. It is fantastic!! The children make HUGE progress with their facts and it's all through learning and practice on the computer. They complete a short lesson, play a game and unlock backgrounds as their fact fluency improves. I highly recommend it in addition to Everyday Math.

My school also had previously been using Trailblazers. We all much prefer EM.
teachrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
saber2341

saber2341

Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

If your district is aligning to the common core, Everyday Math will be tough to use. It does not align well and we are moving away from this series and in search of a program that will better support the new standards.

kyjellybean

Everyday Math (3rd)
Old 05-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi, this is my first post - but oh do I love proteacher.net! I LOVE Everyday Math! It will take some getting used to, so you should expect that. But all five of the teachers on my team agree that it took our kids to a much higher level in math.
kyjellybean is offline   Reply With Quote

salbr

Edm
Old 08-22-2012, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I love it too. I taught is in 1st and 2nd grade. Our PSSA scores are through the roof. However if a students struggles, they hardly ever really catch on. But I still prefer it to the "old way".
salbr is offline   Reply With Quote