Help

First Grade

Student Birthdays

>

scarf_and_mit

Student Birthdays
Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In years past, I've always given students a free book certificate for their birthdays (I'll buy them a book from the month's book order). I also work it to where they are the special helper of the day (hand sanitizer, line leader, messenger, etc.). One year, I made cupcakes for the whole class for EVERY birthday - I think we ate about 15 cupcakes each in November that year - too much work on me that year!

Thinking about doing something different for birthdays...but what? Treat bag? Special activity just for the birthday kiddo? What do you do for student birthdays in your room?

scarf_and_mit is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Birthdays
Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do a few things. First, when the students come in, there is a "birthday page" on their table. I couldn't find the exact one I use (it's on my school computer) but the one's below are similar.

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...=birthday+book
http://www.bainbridgeclass.com/files.htm

I bind all of the pages together with a cover so the student has their own birthday book to take home. I also give them a treat bag with a pencil, a birthday postcard, and some little party items - bubbles, play dough, stencils, etc.

Finally, (and I wish I had a picture) I bought a hat box and threw away the lid. I slathered it with some kind of something that I got at Michael's that made it look like icing. Then I used puffy paint to write "Happy Birthday!" and flowers from a lei to decorate it around the top. I bought a faux silver platter to put it on and at the end of the day I stick the treat bag under the cake. While we sing "Happy Birthday" I carry the cake over to the child and they can pick it up to get their treat bag.

I hope that gives you some ideas!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last year I gave them a pencil and rubbery bracelet. I like the birthday book!
I don't go all out. Even though my class is small, I don't want to set a precedent.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

simple
Old 07-11-2012, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have special birthday sticker for the child to wear. We sing Happy Birthday during calendar time. We have a decorated "Birthday Box" that the child gets to open and select a book. Also have a birthday banner that hangs on the front board (Dollar Tree). No food since we have several severe food allergies in our school.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Birthdays
Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a cupcake with their name and birthdate on each one. I keep them posted on the wall under each month. When I set up the new calendar each month I pull the next month's birthday cupcakes and put them on the calendar so I don't ever miss a birthday. During calendar time we celebrate the birthday. I have a birthday box (I found it at Target) it is a gift box that is a perfect cube with happy birthday printed on the side. It is filled with stickers for the birthday graph, birthday sticker for the child to wear for the day, and a birthday certificate that I fill out for them to keep. I also give each child a birthday straw. This year it will be a silly straw that they will get to use at lunch. Last year I gave the candy straws.

angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

Retiredtchr6

Last year
Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

on PT someone posted a birthday balloon with a pixie stick or straw as a birthday gift. I stuck them in a glass and displayed them in the room all year. The kids couldn't wait to get theirs. And teachers from other rooms admired them also. This year I am doing a foam flower on a birthday pencil. I used a clear label and printed Happy Birthday on it. I added dots of colored glitter glue (my theme is polka dots). I think I will add a curled ribbon bow also. I will stick them in a decorated flower pot.
Retiredtchr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

superfer

birthdays
Old 07-11-2012, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have my students make a birthday card for the student and I make a booklet out of them with the cover being the birthday student's favorite animal. Also the week before their birthday I give them an all about me poster that we share on their birthday. The class sings "Happy Birthday" to the student and then the student gets a pencil and to pick out of a treasure box. The also get to wear a crown all day so everyone in the school says comments on their birthday also which makes them feel important. Parents bring in wrapped treats in if there want to but don't have to.
superfer is offline   Reply With Quote

mmteach

birthdays
Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

On each child's birthday, they receive a birthday to crown to wear for the day and a badge. When they come in the morning they will find the birthday chair cover that says Happy Birthday, and the birthday bear will be on their desk. It's a small stuffed bear that plays Happy Birthday when you push its paw. I also made the birthday balloon, but i put it on a dowel rod(purchased at Home Depot, they cut the rod and I painted them). I hung ribbon around it and tied a birthday pencil.
mmteach is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

birthday
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The Birthday Child gets to choose a read aloud book from my birthday themed book box for the class to hear. That child also gets to wear a sticker that day.

Not sure how you guys handle this, but I've had a few parents show up with a party (cake, cups, napkins, etc--or just a cake with no serving materials) without any advance notice. I explain that this is not a good idea, but go ahead and serve it. The parent usually leaves me to handle this. I usually give notice at the beginning of the year that they need to tell me in advance, but doesn't always work. I guess some parents figure we just wing the day and don't plan any particular sequence for learning.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

BCC

Birthday
Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

On the child's birthday, the children all sign a card that was made by one of the children at the beginning of the year. I give a birthday certificate, birthday pencil, eraser, and sticker to wear. We sing the birthday song by jack Hartmann. The child has a birthday chair cover and a stuffed birthday bear on his desk. Some years I've read a birthday book or poem of the child's choice. We do not allow birthday snacks at our school, so I usually do not have to deal with that situation.

BCC is offline   Reply With Quote

StoneSoup

Birthday
Old 07-11-2012, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

When the birthday student enters the classroom, there is a birthday crown, card, and pencil on his/her desk. Once a month, I have the birthday students eat lunch with me in the classroom. I love having this informal time with them.
However, the most favorite tradition for my students is singing Happy Birthday using one of these two songs. Both the birthday student and the well-wishers are excited to have the song played. No matter how many times we do it, they have huge grins on the faces as they sing them.
They are from youtube, so I downloaded them to my computer. We do have youtube access at my school, but the internet isn't always reliable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SMJtcTBqU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xzghgDaG-U
StoneSoup is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

That's the best birthday song I've ever heard! My guess is you're starting a new tradition in many classrooms.
While this was playing, DS (23yo) came bee-bopping down the hall to ask what song that was.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

collier

Pretty low key but much loved
Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have an "incredible shrinking candle" which is just laminated colored index cards with each child's bday in order from oldest to youngest. When it is someone's birthday, they get the card and then can use it like a bookmark. You move the "flame" downward as the "candle" gets smaller. We also sing to them twice. First "the cats" sing - I have to goofy singing cat card that they love. And then we sing happy birthday. I then give them a "gold coin" which are Sacajawea coins from the coin set that I am never going to use in class and a pencil.

We do it first thing and that's it. Takes about 5 minutes. They love it.
collier is offline   Reply With Quote

smithleen

No food!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My school has a no food policy for celebrations- which was an adjustment, but is really easier now that we're used to it.

We give a birthday menu to the child about a week before thier big day- they select from choices like classroom game, 15 min extra play time, have someone read a book to the class, 15 min computer time, or "be the teacher" for a lesson and make up a HW assignment or something like that. The student picks and then we sing during morning meetin, give them a certificate and a pencil, as well as a sticker badge to wear. THey like it!
smithleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Racetchr

Love it
Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I love the idea of a flower on a pencil to create a birthday balloon. I always give my students a birthday pencil, a special sticker for them to wear and a treat from my treat box. This year I wanted to make it more special and your idea should do it. Thanks for sharing.
Racetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

colleague

Book give away
Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

but I lay out many selections and let the student choose the one s/he likes the best. All the other students gather around and look excitedly as the birthday student makes a choice. The others check out the selection and discuss which one s/he will choose at his/her birthday. I give a book marker too with a special message to the student on it. Often the parent will send along a treat and the birthday student gets to pass it out.
colleague is offline   Reply With Quote

cygal

birthdays
Old 07-19-2012, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have a birthday bulletin board with gift bags stapled on. When it's their birthday, they choose one. I try to make them all different in color-the tissue paper is inside the bag. I usually pick up some things at the dollar store and a few pieces of candy. Some teachers buy those birthday crowns and the kids wear them. I decided to do my own version, and bought bulletin board boarder with birthday themes (from the dollar store). I used the boarder to make the crowns, I just needed to add about 4 inches of paper to make it fit around the head. The kids were pretty impressed and it was SO much cheaper.
cygal is offline   Reply With Quote