Help

First Grade

Integration of ss and sci into reading

>

kiwiblu216

Integration of ss and sci into reading
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi guys! I just took my county's literacy institute that they offer over the summer! One of my classes was about integrating ss and sci into your reading block... I am VERY interested in hearing from you how you might go about doing this.. My county has also just adopted the Common Core, so I'm very nervous about that as well.. Does anyone have any pacing guides or any tips to help me?! Thanks for any advice!!

Last edited by kiwiblu216; 07-19-2012 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling
kiwiblu216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

I've done this for years
Old 07-20-2012, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have my reading program built around our science and social studies units. I love teaching this way, plus, there isn't enough time to get everything in we need to teach anyway! I've built a collection of whole group core books based on the 4Blocks framework. I LOVE it still. The books go along with our units and get progressively harder through the year. This is where I introduce and teach the reading strategies and components. I also don't have my kids actually move THROUGH levels during guided reading (passing tests on each level before going to next, etc.). I have books on my theme as much as possible, but on about 3 levels. Some units I have LOTS of guilded reading choices, others I only have a few and have to add seasonal or plain leveled books (). It takes a while to get your program built up. I created my entire reading program. Then we apopted a new reading series and WASTED tons of money on it (when it was SOOOoooo much less effective!). I have been given permission to remain teaching from my book units. Yeah! Sundance, Reading A-Z, Newbridge, Scholastic, Rigby, etc. are all good ways to build up some good books. I'd suggest getting catalogs. It is a little confusing to look around on the websites.
Melissa/1st/TN is offline   Reply With Quote

kiwiblu216

unit grouping
Old 07-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Would you mind sending me an example of one of you lesson plans? Just so I could get an idea of how you put everything together? How did you group your units? What do you talk about in your guided reading groups? Thank you for all of your help!!

Melissa/1st/TN

Sure!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'll have to send when I'm on my laptop. I usually use read alouds that go with my units too. Writing is sometimes integrated. We do more journaling than a true writer's workshop.

As far as reading and units, I looked at our standards and went from there. I'm not sure what you meant by grouping my units...but during guided reading each group works with their book 2-3 times. Lots of the books have lesson plans already (like A-Z...more than you could ever cover!) if not I try to pick a focus I can use with all groups! Like sequencing, cause/effect, connections...or whatever.

I'll try to post an example tomorrow.

Melissa/1st/TN

Hope this helps...
Old 07-21-2012, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here is a .pdf of a lesson plan during our Forest Unit.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf wk10-10.10.pdf (377.8 KB, 150 views)

kiwiblu216

Thanks!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

OH THANK YOU!! That really helps me to visualize everything! Do you like using the Reading A-Z? I have thought about purchasing it and you make it seem very useful! Thank you for all of your help!!

Mrs.Y

Helpful
Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is so helpful right now. I am also a teacher in TN. Our first grade team is in the process of redoing our reading. We have used the same reading book for about 11 years. From reading your post it seems you do what we are trying to plan to do. Are you aligning your units to the Common Core and would you have a list (and willing to share) of you units? Right now we could use all the help we could get.
Thank you.
Mrs.Y is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

will try
Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

to get that together. I've just spent the better part of an hour looking for one that I KNOW I've started already! I still use most of the reading series books in some form or fashion--simply because we have them! But I make them work with my program!

Mrs.Y

Old 07-26-2012, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you for your help.
Mrs.Y is offline   Reply With Quote

kiwiblu216

email me
Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Mrs. Y- if you list your email i'll send you my list of units!