Help

Daily 5

Daily 5 without CAFE

>

Nassau Native

Daily 5 without CAFE
Old 07-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I am a 2nd Grade teacher, and I plan to implement the Daily 5 in my class this year. However, I am not sure if I want to begin CAFE, as I am also going through the National Board process and I feel that it would be too much. Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Nassau Native is offline   Reply With Quote

rSquirrel

Old 07-25-2012, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can just do Daily 5. CAFE is the conferencing part and teaching of readng strategies. Daily 5 is the structure and management part. Most people start with Daily 5 and then add in CAFE when they feel they have a good structure down. I didn't add CAFE until my second year doing Daily 5.

Don't feel you have to do it all at one time!

I would recommmend starting Daily 5 and get it going really great and then look at CAFE.
rSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Nassau Native

Thank you
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for replying to my post. That helped to ease my fears quite a bit! I'm glad to know that I can take it slowly until I get more familiar with the Daily 5. Your site is amazing, and very helpful! Thanks again!

dkgbb

Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I LOVE your website. I was on it for about 2 minutes and then just had to tell you! I have been trying to create my own check in system and have not been able to come up with anything that I like. I LOVE how you have your kids check in and make their choices for the day in the morning! Did you create your own word wall and labels for book boxes? Do you have those available? Now I will be going back to your website after I post this for more great ideas!
dkgbb is offline   Reply With Quote

rSquirrel

Old 07-26-2012, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I did make my own word wall and labels for book boxes. My word wall uses the 100 sight words from Beverly Tyner ( differentiated instruction for struggling readers). I need to fix them up a little but can post them on my blog later this summer if you check back!

I love my check in too! lol . It is easy peasy and all done before Monring Meeting. I keep track on my clipboard so that at the end of the week I can make suggestions to a few kids about places they need to go.

As for the check in board itself. I just took a piece of easel paper and made a grid with marker. Laminated it and then attached velcro pieces to each of the spaces. Its getting a little ratty after 3 years. Then I made velcro pieces for each choice and numbered some so that I could limit how many people at certain things like listen to reading etc. I also made meet with teacher pieces. So the kids who I am taking for guided reading that round, I put up those cards before the bell rings in the morning and they know not to make a choice for that round if they see that card.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am still amazed that people are interested in what I am doing

smilezala1982

Love
Old 07-26-2012, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I absolutely love your management system. I have tried to come up with the perfect management system for several years and I think I just found it!! I am super excited about using your way of doing things! I have a question about how they choose. Do they do it as soon as they come in the classroom? Do they get in a line or do you call them up one or two at a time, etc? I am scared if I just let them line up, they will be arguing and upset that someone chose what they wanted to do or they would be running to the line. Thanks for sharing your idea!
smilezala1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

rSquirrel

smilezala1982
Old 07-26-2012, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My kids choose as soon as they come in in the morning. So they come in the class, put their black folder in the bin and then get started on morning jobs. I always have a few earlies and a few stragglers, so it kind of evens out. They have 3 jobs every morning:

1. morning message
2. question of the day
3. daily 5 jobs

and then they book shop too on their certain day...

They can do them in whatever order they choose. We talk about if there is a long line up at 1 thing, go do another and then come back. We also talk about if you go to make your Daily 5 choices and lets say all the listen to reading is gone, don't worry because we do Daily 5 every day. Everyone will do everything MANY times before the end of the week. I still have a few who will run or whatever to get there and then they get to go back and try it again. lol. My grade ones were really independent. They did all of this by themselves after a couple weeks.

dkgbb

Old 07-26-2012, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I will keep checking back for your high frequency words! Thanks. Would you mind posting your labels for your book boxes too? I like them so much better than mine.
dkgbb is offline   Reply With Quote

rSquirrel

Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Are you meaning the ones on my kids individual book bins? They're super easy..I just made a text box with dashed lines and typed their names in their and printed it on green paper! I don't yet know how to make an editable PDF but I will look into it!

kit1024

Old 07-27-2012, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am going to implement Daily 5 without Cafe, at least this year. I bought both books and like the Cafe, but it started to stress me out thinking about trying out 2 new things!! For now, I will use the structure of Daily 5 to let me pull guided reading groups and do some intervention work with kids who need help in a certain area.

kit1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nassau Native

Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

That sounds great! I plan to just implement Daily 5 without Cafe as well until my students and I get the hang of it. Thank you for your suggestion.
LJGS

LJGS

teacher
Old 08-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have a question about the daily 5 and word work. Do you have your kids only work on the words that have been introduced so far? And once done those words that day do you let them chose another word work activity? I am planning to start the daily 5 this year in my 1/2 split and was thinking of also doing the café. Do you think I am a little ambitious? Should I just do the daily 5 and start cafè next year? I teach in Ottawa, Canada and so our children have a block of French so I only have 60 min - 90 min to give to language. So I dont have the time that the sisters suggest for language. Any suggestions would be great.