TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Ra

>

Info please

Info please

Ra
Old 09-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a long time member but I haven't told anyone about this yet and I don't want to out myself. Does anyone have any info on RA. I just got diagnosed with it and I am scared. I see a specialest in 2 weeks. I have a list of questions already but more info would be helpful. TIA

anonymouse

Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have it, feel free to pm me.

fishingforfun

Ra
Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What kind of information are you looking for? I was diagnosed 12 years ago when I was doing my student teaching. I went into remission shortly after my son was born, however I it came back. I am lucky. A co-worker also has RA and she had to have multiple surgeries and eventually had to quit working. I will go see my rheumatologist again this fall.

My suggestions would be to do what the doctor thinks is best according to your blood levels.

See a rheumatologist and no one else about your diagnosis. I was pushed around for over a year before I was formally diagnosed. Doctors put me on z-pack after z-pack because they said it would go away.

Chiropractors helped me A LOT! The "gun" that they use really hurt. Traditional chiropractic worked best for me.

There is a great drug, sulfasalazine (sp), but many people are allergic to it.

Warm baths/ hot tubs made my swelling worse.

Early mornings and late nights were the worst for me. The days get better.

There are online groups that you can join as well. You can talk with people that are on the same meds that you are on or have the same symptoms.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

rockypup

Ra
Old 09-01-2012, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've had it for 25 years (I'm now 60). The best advice I can give you is to keep moving. I started walking/jogging (mostly walking the past few years) about 12 years ago, as many days a week as possible. The more you move, the more you CAN move. Any kind of exercise will help you greatly. Please don't be discouraged and don't be scared. There are many new medications that will help you, too.

FLteachESE

Old 09-01-2012, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My mother has it and exercise is her best friend. My best friend has it, unfortunately also has crohn's disease pretty bad, but has found acupuncture to relieve her symptoms.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have RA also. Feel free to email me with any questions. I agree completely with the advise about exercise. It is very important to seek medical help and follow their advise, since it affects every body differently. I am on biologicals and MTX as well as the sulfasalazine that was mentioned.

damarnfl

Ra
Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm sorry to hear you're starting this journey. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. I did a lot of reading and asked a lot of questions too. My P was very supportive (put me in a classroom close to everything, asked others not to park in the stall closest to the school). It does take some time to find the right mix of medications to help. I'm currently on biologics, Methrotraxate, Plaquenil & Prednisone (stay away from this one if at all possible...very hard to get off it).

Check out this forum: http://community.arthritis.org/forums/Forum1831-1.aspx . They are extremely helpful. There are a lot of people that ask lots of questions and lots of people that help out with answers.

PM me if you have any other questions.