Third Grade

Alternative Spelling Tests

>

MrsWilfert11

Alternative Spelling Tests
Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone!

I am really not a fan of weekly spelling tests where we just call out the words and the students write them. I dislike them because later in the year and in everyday writing the same words we had as spelling words are spelled incorrectly. I have been trying to think of different ways to test spelling for next year. I have thought of possibly paragraph editting, but I am not sure. Does anyone have any alternatives or useful ways of assessing spelling within their classrooms?

MrsWilfert11 is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Written
Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I give a written test. I have always done it, so I am not sure if it makes a difference or not. Most of the time my students do decently with their spelling. I use Evan-Moor spelling and will post an example of one of the tests. I take the words, write it three times and misspell two of them. The students have to pick the word spelled correctly. On the back I write a Cloze paragraph and the students have to put in the correct word.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spell3rd12.pdf (15.8 KB, 253 views)
rachelmpd is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Dictation Test
Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In the past, I have used a dictation test.

I take the spelling words and write sentences...about three words per sentence and not too long...five or six sentences per test.

This way, you can also check for no excuse words and incorporate spelling words from previous lists. If there are no excuse words or previous spelling words that many students had wrong, you can retest them easily by including them in the sentences for the next week or several weeks ongoing.

Here is an example of what I do:

The sentence is "The strong king squeezed through the window."

On another piece of paper, make one line for each word. This way, students will know they are not missing any words for that sentence.

1. ________ ____________ ____________ ________________

___________ ________ _________________

Your students will have to capitalize the first word in the sentence and add the correct punctuation.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Peppermint Pa

spelling tests
Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We felt the same way..so we give a bubble test (chose the correct spelling out of 4 words) this helps with testing at the end of the year AND we give a proofreading test, we use 6-8 words misspelled in the paragraph. Students have to circle the misspelled word and write it correctly. We do not tell them which words will be used in the paragraph, they h ave to read the paragraph and figure out which words are misspelled and correct it. They can't just memorize the words , they have to be able to find the word in the paragraph, correct it , and pick out the correct spelling on the bubble sheet.
Peppermint Pa is offline   Reply With Quote

damarnfl

Another Spelling Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here's a link to another thread on the same subject. My response is about 1/2 way down as I don't give weekly spelling tests.

Hope it helps.

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=420419

damarnfl is offline   Reply With Quote

C2Teach

rachelmpd
Old 04-06-2013, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Rachelmpd,
Is this the form you attached something that you have created based on the Evan Moore words or is it from Evan Moore? I like it.
C2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote