Daily 5

How does Daily 5 look in your class?

>

mrskato

mrskato

How does Daily 5 look in your class?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

At my school we have about 35 minutes of whole group reading and another 60 minutes of small group reading. Our basal series is very scripted out and has leveled readers for us to use for small group instruction. I've been looking around and can't seem to find a post about what implementing Daily 5 into your classroom actually looks like. What I do right now is teach the whole group lesson with much discussion for the full 25 minutes and then for small group reading I have the kids in 4 groups and they rotate from one station to the next. What would I need to change in order to use the Daily 5?? I should mention that I teach first. Any insight would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Evrmoi21

It sounds like it would work
Old 05-22-2013, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

D5 is what the rest of the class is doing while you are working with your small group. The 5 components of D5 are -- Read to Self, Work on Writing, Word Work, Read to Someone and Listen to Reading. I never introduce Listen to Reading this year -- not enough resources and space was limited with my speical needs students. So the D5 would take the place of your stations. The key to D5 is that the students get to pick which activity they want to do. You get to set the boundaries but they get the choice. For instance, we usually have only 2 or 3 rounds (if we are lucky) each day. My requirement is that everyone do a Reading Choice (Read to Self, Read to Someone or Listen to Reading) and a Writing Choice (Work on Writing or Word Work) each day. The other requirement is that you must have selected each choice before repeating a choice another day. I keep a record of everyone's choices on my clipboard and the kids don't seem to object/mind that sometimes they don't really have a choice.
It takes time to introduce each component because the kids need to build stamina for each activity (about 10 - 15 minutes) before you introduce the next one. The amount of time to build stamina differes from year to year and activity to activity. You need to be patient so that the kids learn the right way. Stopping and coming back to reflect needs to happen when someone exhibits off task behaviour so you nip the behaviour in the bud. The book is very good at explaining how to put it all into place -- the original one is written for Primary and is very easy to follow.
Hope that helps.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 05-22-2013, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

To add to the PP--if you have to do the basal whole group activity could you possibly break it into several minilessons? For example:
meet with the whole group to teach the reading strategy. Since they are first graders this would be best kept to about 6-8 minutes. Then do a round of D5. Meet again for another minilesson-maybe a grammar/usage one, then another round of D5. Have a third minilesson for accuracy/phonics followed by another round, etc.

That way you will get in what your basal (and I assume your school) requires in a way that is age appropriate for first graders.

Hope that made sense!
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

upperwests

This is what it looks like in my class
Old 05-23-2013, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have about 3 rounds of Daily 5 per day. I make sure that one of the rounds is Read to Self and Work on Writing on most days. The other is a choice......either Word Work or Listen to Rdg. or Read to Someone. Since I have limited resources for Listen to Rdg.....I have 4 children a day who can do that choice.....I made a schedule, so everyone can do it once a week.
Yesterday while I was administering a DRA to a student, I looked around the classroom, and wish I could have taken a "snapshot".......all were actively engaged....some sitting at tables working on word work activities, some reading to someone, some listening to books on personal CD players or using the computer......some lying on the rug and just reading to self.....some writing stories that they know I will read and respond to. It looked like the children "owned" the room, it was their space, not mine....which I loved!
Personally, I don't like stations.......I like when students have more freedom to choose and I also like that students can work with anyone at a particular time, unless that other person is in my Guided Rdg. group......so this way students aren't always "rotating" with the same students....it's amazing how students can help each other and the partnerships that emerge, that one would never expect when you give children more freedom. I love Read to Someone and so do the kids.......and I love that my "lows" can enjoy a book with the "highs" !!!!
upperwests is offline   Reply With Quote

acannonnw

Daily 5 for dummies
Old 05-26-2013, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i just found this ..actually I found this on here...
It's a daily five for dummies schedule/how to...

I don't know how to attach it but you search on google "daily 5 for dummies" and it also includes cafe....

hope this helps...I'm going to try again to start it in my room...this year we tried but got off schedule and it was too hard to try again so I had to do the old fashioned, prepare seperate stations..it was a lot of work and I'm hoping to use some of those in D5 but am excited that the kids will be able to set their own goals and own the room

acannonnw is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

upperwests
Old 05-26-2013, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I so agree with you. D5 makes it so the kids have ownership. I feel like my kids LOVE to read and write because of d5.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote