Second Grade

sos I'm being overrun by books

>

acannonnw

sos I'm being overrun by books
Old 06-06-2013, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay smarties out there...

I need a way to organize my books for my library at school and at home. I used to teach K and organized the books into categories at home (no sense needing to bring my books to school..the kids really couldn't read them yet). Now, I am teaching 2nd grade and am wanting to bring some of my home books in and also some chapter books that I've bought. I would like a way to be able to keep up with the books I have (ex. which Junie B books I have so I don't keep buying the same ones). I was using Library Thing but can only add so many books...I would pay for the membership but honestly I'm not sure if that's the way to go....HELP I need ideas on how to organize

acannonnw is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

books
Old 06-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure if your question is about organizing your classrom library or not, but here is how I do it. I like to organize by author or genre. I use smaller baskets for these. Then I have a few larger bakets that are just labeled fiction and nonfiction. I put the books that don' t fit a particular genre or that I only have one or two by a particular author. I have baskets labeled "starting out" and "on my way" for all those beginning readers. I color code them with dots so he kids know where to put them back. I don't level my books. I feel it is extremely important for children to be able to select a "just right" book. This is something I model constantly and we are always takng about. I don't keep any kind of formal track of my books. I buy most of them at yard sales or with my Scholastic points. I love having multiple copies of popular books so I don't worry if I already have it.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

teach61

Great description
Old 06-06-2013, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love "starting out" and "on my way"! I subscribed to the leveling site that is part of the F & P website, wanting to level my non-fiction. Of the 46,000 titles they list (fiction and non-fiction), I had two or three. Probably not worth the $25. I am sure that there are many other resources on their site, but that was my main reason for joining.

Lorraine
teach61 is offline   Reply With Quote

PetsRunMyLife

Book Crawler
Old 06-06-2013, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you have an iPhone, I highly recommend buying the Book Crawler app. I think it was only $1.99.

It allows you to use the phone's camera to scan the ISBN numbers of the books as you enter them into your database -- a HUGE timesaver! Once it's on your list, it automatically pulls up a photo of the book cover and author. Pretty cool!

You can also add info about each book. I add the AR level, and I note the "collection" that I put the book in. For example, all of my books about plants can be labeled "plants" in the system, so I can quickly find the correct book bin when I need the book.

You can also add other tags. I have a collection named "Berenstain Bears," but if a particular book would also be useful for a lesson about manners, I'll add the tag "manners."

It has REALLY helped me to not keep purchasing books I already own (a bad habit I have).
PetsRunMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote

mrteacher

Old 06-08-2013, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was going to try to organize my classroom library, but gave up. I just use the Public Library. I request books, pick them up, and then return them when I am finished.

As for the classroom library, I would suggest making matching labels for each book and the bin it belongs in. That way, you can assign library helpers to go through and make sure all the labeled books are in the correct bin.

mrteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sebastian

App question
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Would this app work on an iPad? Sounds great!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote

texasteacher6

Another App
Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just downloaded it today. Have not used it yet

http://levelitbooks.com/
texasteacher6 is offline   Reply With Quote