Help

First Grade

Moving from desks to tables

>

SaberTeach

Moving from desks to tables
Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am moving from desks to tables in my first grade classroom. What are the most helpful things to do to keep tables and materials organized? I do not have seat sacks but am planning on making them out of pillowcases (not ideal, but affordable). Other must haves or do not try this ideas?

Thanks!

SaberTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Huskermom

I use
Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

book boxes vs seat sacks, but that it was works for us as we (grade level) mix and match kids during our reading block.
I use community supplies with each table having a "tool box" in the middle of the table. In each box there is a pail w/ 48 crayons, a cup with 24 colored pencils, a cup with pencils (# depends on the # of kids at each table: 1 for each student w/ 3 'extras'), & 2 pink erasers.
I keep scissors and glue elsewhere to keep organization easy. At the end of the day the table does a 'tool box tidy' to make sure all supplies are in the correct container and all 'mountains are up' (so I can see which pencils need to be sharpened).
Huskermom is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

love tables!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The biggest issue is the lack of storing their belongings. I have a piece of furniture that is our cubbies. That is where everyone stores items that go home- completed papers, handouts from the office... I also have a 3 drawer (plastic from Walmart)for each table- I store the white boards, journals and other items. On top I keep the animal of each table and clickers. I've done community supplies and also pencil boxes for each. I'm doing the pencil boxes this year-this way they have a place for personal things(sharpeners, fun pencils...). I did have a bucket with scissors and another with glue sticks available to all. I do name my tables- since I have a forest theme, I use animals. Each table is an animal name with a stuffed animal to help identify them. Numbers are also key! Cubbies are numbered as well as name tags and pencil boxes. It sure saves on time when preparing for a new student. Enjoy them!!

Last edited by K-Jeanne; 06-19-2013 at 11:56 AM..
K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsflowermom

Tables
Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do not have seat pockets as things "get lost" so easily in them. I keep pencils in a separate basket with pink erasers (plenty of them). Then, I have a tall, thin container for classwork folders and journals. This year, I am buying these from Really Good Stuff with stabilizer pads on them so they don't fall over when the kids get things out of them. Since my tables are two trapezoid shapes put together, I have 5-6 kids at each table and there is not a lot of room for excess supplies. I have glue, scissors and crayons in "community" bins for table captains to get when we need them. At the end of the day, I have table captains return all supplies, pick up lost pencils, crayons, etc., put glue caps back on glue sticks, etc. You may have more room but I have a small classroom with hexagon shaped tables and am always thinking about keeping things to a minimum in such a small room. I have hooks at the back of my room for backpacks and jackets and each student has a separate book basket for their "read to self" books which they keep in separate cubbies at the front of the room. They each share a cubbie for their books baskets. Texts/readers are stored together on separate shelves in the room and I give them out when needed. Again, table captains help hand these out. Hope this helps.

Last edited by mrsflowermom; 06-19-2013 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Adding more
mrsflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

I love tables and have had them for years
Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use a little basket/tote that has 3 parts, got them at the dollar store. I have one at each table they hold pencils, scissors and glue sticks. Crayons are in the small plastic containers with lids on them-glad etc. makes them. On the floor at the end of each table I have a plastic box. Inside I have a magazine holder, cardboard, that holds their guided reading folders/envelopes, then on one side are their work folders and on the other are their writing folders. I have recently purchased a plastic storage unit with 3 drawers for each table. I used a gift card from my parents for part of the cost. Best money I ever spent. In the bottom drawer are the math manipulatives, middle draw are the math journals and the number grids and counting books. Top bin are the white boards and dry eraser and dry erase pens. On top of this plastic storage unit I have them keep a box of tissues, hand sanitizer and wipes.
This works best for me so far.
The seat sacks never were kept neat and things always spilled out onto the floor.

funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

atlastch

Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I will be new to 1st grade next year (I've been pushing in to 1st this year as a SPED tchr, but next year will have my own room). I like the seat pockets- I feel like with 1st grade especially, the desks provide way too many opportunities for things to get lost. I like having community supplies because then no one is ever without. I will have a new room this year, and lots to organize, but I plan on doing so with tables and pockets!
atlastch is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

color code!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a different color assigned to each table group. *I do have chair pockets (LOVE) and 2 supply baskets in the middle of the group. I'm attaching a picture: I supply scissors in coordinating colors of my groups-so they won't get lost! I think my baskets were from Oriental Trading. I have the cubby basket for scissors, glue sticks, erasers-and I got a plastic set of cups from WalMart - in each of my colors (but 2--and they had clear for those) We keep pencils in them. The basket tray underneath is for unfinished work or unit work we are working on for a few days. Every Friday, my kids had to clean out their chair pockets and supply baskets for morning work!

I absolutely LOVE tables over desks -
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by Melissa/1st/TN; 07-03-2013 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: adding picture
Melissa/1st/TN is offline   Reply With Quote