Teacher News Drawing Today! Post Here to Win! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teacher News & Opinion

Teacher News Drawing Today! Post Here to Win!

>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Teacher News Drawing Today! Post Here to Win!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Introducing our brand new Teacher News & Opinion board! This drawing is open for all members to enter!

Rules / Qualifications (read them carefully!)

1. All members welcome!

2. Post on this thread answering these questions: What is --and is not-- interesting "teacher news" to you? What kinds of teacher news stories would you like to see on our brand new Teacher News & Opinion board?

3. You cannot have won a previous drawing in 2013.

4. Drawing expires 12:00 pm PST July 11. If there are no entries to draw from at that time, the prize will be added to the next drawing.

One random qualifying member who posts on this thread will receive a $15 amazon gift certificate! Stay tuned for the winner after 12:00pm PST July 11. Winner will be contacted via Private Message.

Good luck!

FYI - On our new 'Teachers News & Opinion' board, we find and discuss news stories and editorials from a variety of local news sources from across the USA. Participation is restricted to Members. All members are invited to post teacher news stories they discover!

Editor is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Many of the items you previously posted are interesting to me. With limited time to read, I only read about half of them when there is a link supplied. I like it when the poster gives a short brief about the article.

What I like to read: feel good stories about teachers and what teachers are doing. Stories that help teachers nationally by supporting education in a positive way.

What I don't like to read: things that effect teachers in one area only, and things that just sound crazy.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

RmAnderson717

Teacher News
Old 07-10-2013, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What I like to read: feel good teacher stories, uplifting stories, stories on new best practices put into action

What I can pass: Long-winded political articles...

RmAnderson717 is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I agree with kahluablast
Old 07-10-2013, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I read (and am interested in) just about everything posted by "News" but sometimes it's so discouraging--bad news after bad news.

If there are any positive teacher stories, that would be nice to read as well.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

GeminiTwin

Teacher News
Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What I like to read are stories on the good things teachers are doing. The uplifting stories that remind me why I got into teaching. I also like to know what is going on in teaching with common core and what other states are doing in education.

What I don't like to read are the stories about teachers who have inappropriate relationships with students or commit some other crime.

GeminiTwin is offline   Reply With Quote

benteach

Teaching News
Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I tend to read pretty much most of the items posted on Proteacher - but I especially enjoy uplifting teaching stories, examples of best practices to be used in the classroom, and positive news. I agree with PrivateEye's message as well as the other previous posters - it is important to have positive in order to balance out and put the negative in perspective. There are so many silver linings in events all around us.
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote

imafive

News
Old 07-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What is valuable...links to news articles from valid news media (hard to distinguish these days)

What is not valuable...arguing over an article. I just want to read it!
imafive is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

New board
Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had not noticed this new board until right now. I enjoy reading about special things educators do while teaching or sometimes after they retire. I would like to read more about what other states are doing to prepare for the Common Core. Because Arizona is a right to work state I don't read many stories about the unions even though I used to belong to the NEA.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleo88

news
Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I read the teacher news first before any other posts. I like that the stories are grouped by states. I enjoy reading the stories that are uplifting or inspirational. I would like to see more articles from Texas. The state is going through so many changes (state assessment) that it's nice to have one place that I can read about what's going on.
Cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I like to read
Old 07-10-2013, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

articles that talk about new ideas and practices in education. I'm always looking for something new that I can try. I also like to read about good things that teachers are doing. I don't like to hear all the things that make teachers look bad and drag education down as a whole.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

bellringer

opinion
Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I like the "feel good" stories, but also appreciate the "hard news". Like a PP, I want my news and opinion from valid, reliable news sources.

It is interested when the state is listed in the title--I am interested in what is happening across the country, in addition to my region/state.
bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2bcrafty

Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It is sad to say that a lot of the news dealing with teaching is negative. News feeds tend to want to talk about the bad things happening (budget cuts, schools not meeting criteria, inappropriate teacher relationships, etc.). I would like to see/read articles that are focused on the positive things about teachers/teaching.

Things I am not interested in reading are articles focused mainly on political debates surrounding education.
luv2bcrafty is offline   Reply With Quote

Iluvsummer

News and Opinion board
Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'll join with many of the other posters and say that I enjoy reading about things that "go right" in our field. While I do think it is important for us to be aware of the not so nice things that can and do happen in the world of education, I particularly enjoy those articles that inspire me to be a better teacher.

I do not enjoy the LONG, sometimes disrespectful, political arguments that we can sometimes be drawn into. We are adults with our own opinions, and though we will definitely not always agree, we are entitled to believe what we will.

Iluvsummer is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 07-10-2013, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Here are news stories I'm interested in reading (related to education):
1. positive stories about teachers or other school staff and their successes
2. changes in educational laws, including NCLB and common core standards being adopted
3. areas of the country that are in NEED of teachers/have job openings
4. STEM programs (Science Technology Engineering and Math)
5. Arts and music programs and research.
6. Not that I ENJOY reading about how natural disasters affect schools (like tornados and hurricanes), but I like to read about those things to stay informed. I also like to read articles about how we can help those teachers and kiddos in need of help after something like that happens.

Here are news stories I'm not interested in reading (related to education):
1. stories about the bad seeds that are constantly covered by the news media, which overshadow the good teachers out there.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

Cow Pie

Teacher news
Old 07-10-2013, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I find stories on what teachers have done/are doing that make a real difference in the lives of their students interesting, always hoping I can find something that will positively effect one of my students. I'd like to see stories that are uplifting - we see too many stories on teacher bashing lately - and stories that focus on best practices and ideas to help meet the needs of struggling students.
Cow Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

aeiouteach

Old 07-10-2013, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I enjoy reading/following current news stories and the opinions that other people share in regard to them. I also like reading uplifting news stories about teachers and education in general, so it would be great to see more of them on the new board.
I don't enjoy it when people refuse to respect others opinions and try turning a message board into a battlefield!
aeiouteach is offline   Reply With Quote

goldilicious

Drawing answers
Old 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

The stories I like to read are the feel good teacher stories. I don't like to read about teachers who have been arrested for abuse of students (it makes me sick! )
I would like to read about best practices and announcements about conferences or workshops.
goldilicious is offline   Reply With Quote

nette25

I would like to read about
Old 07-10-2013, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

the positive impacts teachers have on students and about things that are working for teachers across the country.
nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote

♥theColts

Old 07-10-2013, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I like reading stories where teachers are supported. I love to read about innovate practices that are proving successful. Stories highlighting how teachers help shape the community, and help in times of need, are great morale boosters. I do follow my state's educational issues as well.

I do not enjoy reading about testing and teacher accountability. Yes teachers must be effective and accountable, and some testing is absolutely necessary, but I don't want to read about it in abundance and it seems to have saturated the news recently. I don't want to read about anymore dumb, ignorant teachers becoming involved with students. Charge them criminally and throw the book at them.
♥theColts is offline   Reply With Quote

OmahaTeacher

teacher news
Old 07-10-2013, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I like reading stories about teachers in a positive light. I also enjoy reading stories about other schools and how they do things differently than my own. I think it's important to get news out there about educational trends and how they can be implemented in classrooms.
OmahaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

My feelings
Old 07-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I actually find any news about the field of teaching or about a particular teacher interesting.
I love to read about teaching methods or ideas from other countries.
I am happy that there is a place to be able to read "teacher news" whatever kind it is and be able to comment on it right away.
I know we need to read the not so happy news in the world of teaching, but it would be nice to read about the happy news too!
QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmar

Teacher News
Old 07-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I agree with previous posters about positive news stories instead of focusing on the "sensational" stories. I also like ones about innovative programs and teaching methods. I would love to find out about where various educational conferences and speakers are going to be.
tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sstella

What interests me
Old 07-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Is the way teachers are beginning to stand up for our profession. I would like to see stories about teachers finding ways to teach, while skirting the most destructive elements of "reform." I'm thinking about the Seatle teachers who stood against testing and the Chicago teachers who fight against school closures.
Sstella is offline   Reply With Quote

jvar87

Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I enjoy reading about new best practices that have proven successful as well as students, teachers, and schools that have overcome drastic challenges!
jvar87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

What is --and is not-- interesting "teacher news" to you?Not interesting is stuff that's all over the news. Interesting is behind the scenes stuff that doesn't really get to the mainstream news.

What kinds of teacher news stories would you like to see on our brand new Teacher News & Opinion board?hmmm, editorials maybe. Inspiring stories like Chicken Soup for the Soul stuff. Perhaps contest or grant opportunities for teachers.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

AuntKK

What interests me
Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I like to read what is happening to education (good or bad). I have to agree with the previous poster, I prefer that the gist of the link is stated in the post. I don't like to have to go to the link to find out what the link is about. (that may just be me being lazy)

I like to read about legislation that affects education, recent trends and of course feel good stories.
AuntKK is offline   Reply With Quote

trasie

Teacher News
Old 07-10-2013, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I have been enjoying many of the articles that have already been posted on this board. I teach in a private school, yet am affected by public policies and perceptions, so the articles are often very informative.

Articles dealing with teachers making a difference and entertaining education related articles are always good to read. I'd also like to continue to see articles dealing with issues and initiatives in national and state education policies.
trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

news
Old 07-10-2013, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

what i find interesting is information that isn't already making the national/international rounds.

what i would like to see would be feel-good stories. something inspirational--teachers/schools doing good.

i come to PT to relax and recharge, get help and be helped--not so much on the being bummed out.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

News
Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I've read the majority of the news threads that have been started recently on PT and I'm glad there's now a dedicated board.

What I like: I'm a news junkie and I like to read about events that affect teachers no matter where they are. I'm looking forward to reading articles from all over. I find it very interesting to learn what's going on in education in other parts of the country/world, both positive and negative.

What isn't interesting to me: I'm not fond of the articles about teachers that have behaved badly. Those types of articles mostly disgust me and I think that they're not useful. Those teachers are not the norm.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

News
Old 07-10-2013, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I agree with many that I like to read the feel good and inspirational stories about the impact teachers have had. I hear so much bad about teachers in the local news, that it is nice to see the good.

I would also like to read about any politics that affect teachers and their jobs.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

jovic

well.....
Old 07-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I am most interested in what is going on nationwide in regards to teacher jobs......any and everything that affects us.....good and bad! I especially like "feel good" stories about good things going on and happening.

I don't care for stories concerning terrible things teachers have done because like a previous poster, I don't feel that is representative of the majority.

I will be checking out this board and am happy it has been implemented
jovic is offline   Reply With Quote

xavier

News
Old 07-10-2013, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I think I'd enjoy positive news about teachers. That seems so infrequent in today's time. I also love hearing about new ideas that other teachers are implementing. Anything positive is welcome
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote

School_Marm

Teacher Board
Old 07-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

2. Post on this thread answering these questions: What is --and is not-- interesting "teacher news" to you? What kinds of teacher news stories would you like to see on our brand new Teacher News & Opinion board?

Interesting:

how different schools/ states are implementing common core
Inspiring teacher/ student stories
Current trends in education

Non-interesting:
I would like to say non-interesting reads are those that include teachers doing wrong and shameful things - yet I think this would be a valuable tool for us to evaluate ourselves to make sure we have become lost!
School_Marm is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

What is --and is not-- interesting "teacher news" to you?

Interesting - laws and news stories relating to U.S. teachers in general (something that affects everyone), educational trends, happy/positive/inspiring stories

Not interesting - laws or policies affecting teachers in just one area, negative news about teachers such as the latest teacher to have an affair with a student

What kinds of teacher news stories would you like to see on our brand new Teacher News & Opinion board? Anything positive, stories about teachers making a difference for kids.
I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

For me,
Old 07-10-2013, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I've read most everything you have posted using the name "News" but haven't commented on much, if any. They were interesting though even when they do not pertain to me.

Quote:
What is --and is not-- interesting "teacher news" to you? What kinds of teacher news stories would you like to see on our brand new Teacher News & Opinion board?
I really don't have an opinion offering anything different. Those things have covered a good variety.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Logicat

new board!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I like to read about creative school programs, positive stories about teaching, trends in education, and government policies regarding education.

I am not interested in reading articles criticizing teachers/schools, written by people who have no idea what they are talking about.
Logicat is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

I like. . . .
Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

to read news on what is happening in different states as well as national stuff. Sometimes reading about what is going on in another state makes me a little thankful I am in the state I am in!

I don't mind the posts that have links to articles in them -- but I don't always read them. Depends on the topic involved. . . .

I like reading everyone's opinions on things -- but I don't like it when it gets nasty. . . . sometimes I just take a break when discussions get this way.

I like it that only members will get to post -- will cut down on the 'drive-by trolls'.
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Teacher News
Old 07-10-2013, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I like to read just about anything that has to do with education. I like to know what the nation is talking about and about what the new trends are.
What kinds of teacher news stories would you like to see on our brand new Teacher News & Opinion board?
I would read it all. I am interested in technology and how teachers are using technology in the classroom. I am interested in the common core and what is going on around the country with this.

I would also just be interested in reading whatever is in the news about education.
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Board
Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Whats interesting to me: i like to read about what is going on in the world of special education, current best practices, feel good stories (we already hear so much about the bad stuff going on), changing being made in the field of education
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

news board
Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I like to read almost everything having to do with education. I too, like it when a small snippet/summary of the article is provided. I don't always check out links on PT. Although, I check out more of the news type links more than a "watch this video on youtube" type of link.

I must say, you get around and find good articles. Most of the articles I've read through this board I had not heard about previously.

Dee
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Answers
Old 07-10-2013, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

What is interesting teacher news - I have been finding what you've been posting interesting. I would like to see positive news about our education system. It helps with teacher morale.

What isn't interesting teacher news - I don't like seeing the negative side of education such as teacher mistakes.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetsong32

Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I like to read news articles that affect teachers in my state. For example, new laws passed by the state legislature that affects education.
sweetsong32 is offline   Reply With Quote

crownjewel

Answers to Questions
Old 07-10-2013, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Interesting- I would love to see specific examples of how teachers reach out in their community to help others - real stories along with
concrete ideas to share.

I am also interested in hearing about how teachers are implementing
Common Core in their classroom both pros and cons.

Not Interesting - Focusing on what is "negative" in education today

I enjoy reading bios of teachers and how they have impacted students in their classroom as well as stories students have written about their teacher to thank them for making a difference in their lives.
crownjewel is offline   Reply With Quote

StoneSoup

My thoughts
Old 07-10-2013, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I think articles about new legislation are interesting because they keep me informed on what is going on.
I don't think negative articles about teaching/teachers are interesting. There is too much of that in the news already.
I like the idea of reading news articles that affect my state, positive stories about teachers/public schools, and information about teaching trends.
StoneSoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr.NJ

Politics
Old 07-10-2013, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I'd like to see political news which relates to education. New Jersey is currently in the process of a Governor election where Chris Christie is up for re-election. His opponent is not nearly as well know and so the election is a little quiet despite Christie's teacher bashing for the past four years.

Go Barbara Buono!
Mr.NJ is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 07-10-2013, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I like to hear about new laws and teaching practices.
Hearing about a teacher who harmed a child is depressing, but may be something I need to hear.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

QW

My Opinion...
Old 07-10-2013, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

What is --and is not-- interesting "teacher news" to you? What kinds of teacher news stories would you like to see on our brand new Teacher News & Opinion board?

Interesting: inspirational stories, grant opportunities, stories about people who support teachers, special education stories

Not Interesting: Race to the Top, stories about idiot teachers who have sex with their students

I'd like to see: articles with new ideas for teaching, legislative updates, inspirational stories
QW is offline   Reply With Quote

mushell829

Positive
Old 07-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I would love to hear positive stories by teachers. I would like to hear how they have helped children and their schools and districts.
mushell829 is offline   Reply With Quote

Heidi

Teaching news
Old 07-10-2013, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I really enjoy reading about what schools and classrooms are doing right. Uplifting stories are engaging.
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

I like to read . . .
Old 07-10-2013, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

I like reading about individual teachers and groups of teachers who have found their voices and speak out about doing the right thing by students, and standing up for themselves and the respect of our profession. For example: the post that linked the letters from teachers to Bill and Melinda Gates.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

I'd like to read
Old 07-10-2013, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

news and current events about education, that is as much as possible factual and without strong bias. I agree with the previous posters that hearing positive things about education and educators is important to me to help balance so many negative things in the press.

I do not want to hear about another teacher caught doing something incredibly stupid. Most of the teachers I know are wonderful, intelligent, and motivated educators, yet all we hear about are the losers.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

campy

Old 07-10-2013, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

Stem and common core ELA>
Feel good stories are always nice!
campy is offline   Reply With Quote

grammam

Old 07-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

I like to read about "epiphanies" that teachers have had - ways to do things in a new way. I also like stories about the good stuff in teaching. I like stories about things that have been accomplished through or by teachers.
I do NOT like stories that bring a bad light to teaching. There is already too much of that in the world!
grammam is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

My response
Old 07-10-2013, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

I find just about any teacher news interesting! We have so many things to keep up with, including trends, politics, challenges, ed theory and research. I also love reading about new programs in other districts. So really, just about any teacher-related story is fair game for this board. I read 4 newspapers daily (subscribe to 2, read 2 online), and I regularly skim a handful of ed blogs. I'm delighted to add the News and Opinion board to the list. Thanks for facilitating that!
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

FindingMe

Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

Interesting news -
- transitions to common core
- legislative updates
- positive stories of teaching and students

Not so interesting
- teacher scandals
- political rantings by biased people
FindingMe is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

I like to read positive stories, but I also like hard news articles. I think it is important to have a balance between the two.

I do not like to read articles that focus on teacher scandals. I would also rather just read the article than an argument about it.
JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Czechgirl

news
Old 07-10-2013, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

I like to read news that effects the public school system. I want to know what others think whether I believe it or not. It is important for me to know what the masses think about public education because I teach for the publics' youth.

I don't really care to hear news about a teacher who behaved inappropriately to children. This is not news I can learn from.
Czechgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsteaching

Old 07-10-2013, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

I want to read both positive and negative news regarding education. It's not that I enjoy the negative, but I do want to informed because people often bring things up when I am around and I dislike not being able to sound intelligent when discussing the different incidents. There is always someone that says, "Did you hear about..."

The one thing I might not read might be an extremely long article. No attention span here.
luvsteaching is offline   Reply With Quote

me41

Old 07-10-2013, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

I like the fact that "news" posts shares information from around the country -news that local stations do not cover. Sometimes what I read saddens me, public education is under attack. But I think that the better informed we are the stronger we are. Thanks for all that you post!
me41 is offline   Reply With Quote

SleepEatTeach

Old 07-10-2013, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

I like to read articles that show support for teachers and all the good things we do for our students.

I do not like to read anything that bashes teachers and claims we get paid a ton for doing little .
SleepEatTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

VinDeeLoo

Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

Right now, what I am trying to keep up with is Oklahoma's State Superintendent. We really need her gone!
VinDeeLoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8Profession

Just my opinion
Old 07-10-2013, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

Well, it is actually bellringer's opinion!

Quote: I like the "feel good" stories, but also appreciate the "hard news". Like a PP, I want my news and opinion from valid, reliable news sources.

It is interested when the state is listed in the title--I am interested in what is happening across the country, in addition to my region/state. End Quote.

I would also like info on how others are finding success.
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote

lasflores

Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

I like to read about the positive impact teachers have with students. I don't like to see all the sex scandals involving teachers and students.
lasflores is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee118

Teacher News
Old 07-10-2013, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

Teacher news is kind of a gray area for me. I don't like to read about teachers having sex with students. I know it's a reality, but I don't want to read about it. I don't like to read about teacher bashing. I like to read positive affirmations about the good things teachers do on a daily basis. I like to read stories about how teachers and students are making their communities a better place to live in.
QueenBee118 is offline   Reply With Quote
lesteacher
Old 07-10-2013, 06:06 PM
This message has been deleted by lesteacher.

BettySpeller

Old 07-10-2013, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

I like to read articles pertaining to current best practices, positive teaching stories, and articles about teaching primary (k-2) students.

I do not like reading articles written by people who have not been in the classroom for years. I also do not like reading politically motivated articles.
BettySpeller is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

I'm obviously in the minority, but I have absolutely zero interest in "feel-good" stories, aka manipulative fluff. Also not a fan of anything that's obviously tabloid fodder masquerading as news (eg. any of the really high-profile trials...I can't think of anything like that related to education, but it could happen).

I DO like the hard news, eg. new state (or federal) laws and how they will impact schools and teachers, and also teachers fighting back against those laws if they're bad. Eg., I was absolutely obsessed with the protests in Madison when that was going on.

I also really appreciate a blurb that allows me to decide whether the link is worth following. Sometimes the quoted bits that are posted give enough info for that, sometimes not.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialAnne

drawing
Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

I would most likely read stories of teacher success as well as current issues of assessments, discipline and issue leading to teaching profession support...really anything
SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

bonteach

News & Opinion
Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #68

I enjoy stories about teachers making a difference in their students's lives and in their communities.

I don't like sensational stories... kind of the Mary Kay Laterno stuff. I also don't want to hear opinions of people who have little to no recent classroom experience.
bonteach is offline   Reply With Quote

cooper5

news & opinion
Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #69

I would like to read about new innovations in education. This helps me get excited about teaching and think outside the box. For example some teachers are doing service learning projects domestically or abroad that I would like to hear about.

What I'm not interested in is anything to do with the union. I'm just not into that at all.
cooper5 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #70

Yesterday was the first day I noticed the new board and I found it very interesting.

I enjoy reading about teachers across the country and what is going on in their schools/districts. This helps me understand that we all have the same problems and that we are not alone.

What I don't like reading is how teachers are being knocked down and are unsupported. I especially don't like when I read other teachers not supporting one another. I understand we all have different opinions, but sometimes I am embarrassed by the fighting that goes on when people are expressing their opinions.
I too ask not to have to hear sex scandals in schools/districts.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

TLC

Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #71

Like so many others, I do not want to hear sex scandals that involve teachers. Though I should be interested, I only follow teacher politics for my own district and state. National level yes, individual states, nah.

I would probably read the feel good stories, but honestly they seem few and far between and usually show up on my FB feed anyway. I would rather see things like corporations and such that support us and offer grants, discounts and freebies. Who has started back to school sales, etc.

My guess is that PT wants to tame the controversy going on in Issues and Politics and this is the solution.
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherTip

Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #72

I like to read about current issues that are effecting teachers now. I like to see how teachers are handling changes, so I can get ideas myself. I am interested in reading about new ideas in the classrooms, new studies, proven practices, etc.

I agree with a PP, I do not want to read about teacher sex scandals or when teachers make horrible choices.
TeacherTip is offline   Reply With Quote

Poppins

Excited to see this new board
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #73

I like to read most any story related to education. It depends on my mood as to what may pique my interest on any given day. While I always enjoy the stories with a positive spin, I also want to be informed about what is going on in the education world around me...the good, the bad, the ugly!
Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote

BabyB

news
Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #74

I am interested in educational trends and news from different parts of the country. I a

m interested in budgets, legislative news and "warm fuzzy" articles about teachers.
BabyB is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-10-2013, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #75

I love to read stories about what is going on in education in other states and countries, including within the teacher's unions!

I love hard news, current events types of stories!

I don't like feel good fluff because I see that all the time in the email forwards I receive and on FB.

I would love to see teachers encouraged to post editorials and other things they have written themselves to local newspapers, magazines, etc. on this board!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reader

Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #76

Like:

-uplifting stories
-ways districts are making a positive impact in their communities
-politicians who are supporting teachers

Dislike:

-stories about teacher bashing
-stories that will incite a "heated discussion" n this board
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote

FLNUT

Thanks for listening
Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #77

For me personally, COMMON CORE is really important as well as the good we do for the students because we all know we are in it for them and not the money!
FLNUT is offline   Reply With Quote

illinoisteach

Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #78

I enjoy reading about successful models being utilized in other schools to target issues like differentiation, gender/cultural gaps and student achievement. I also enjoy reading about current trends and best practices in education.
I do not enjoy political posts.
illinoisteach is offline   Reply With Quote

read2day

Old 07-10-2013, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #79

With so much teacher bashing going on these days I really prefer to read articles that have a positive spin and are complimentary to teachers.
read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

bearpaws31

Teacher news
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #80

I want to read more about successful and uplifting stories. I would also like to see updates in legislature and education.
bearpaws31 is offline   Reply With Quote

ruralteacher

Teacher News
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #81

I love to read about the positive things happening in education...teachers who are making an impact in their classrooms and in their communities, i.e. Teacher of the Year recipients (take us inside their classroom!).
ruralteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowflowers

News
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #82

I like reading about educators who are standing up and "taking back" public education. The ones who are passionate and brave and inspiring.

I do not need to read more about Common Core. Isn't there already a board on here for that?

Thank you for this new board and for giving us all the opportunity to voice our opinions!
yellowflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

jml122

News / opinions
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #83

I prefer to read atricles that have a positive feel to them. I also would read articles about effective teaching methods.

I choose not to read articles that belittle teaching.
jml122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Racetchr

Feel good stories
Old 07-10-2013, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #84

I love to read stories that tell all the amazing things teachers do. I enjoy reading feel good stories about teachers, teaching and the entire education field. I also love woth there are links to amazing articles and the poster gives a little details as to what the story is about
Racetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rascal2

News
Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #85

I like reading the good, the bad and the ugly about what is going on today related to education. Although so much bad is happening related to teachers, I like to be informed about these events. I really enjoy reading these posts by News even if I do not make comments about them. I like the changes that have been made to separate the politics and the news section.
Rascal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MNTeacher24

Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #86

Like most teachers, I like "beat the odds" stories and hope I can help create one of those stories. I am definitely NOT a fan of the inappropriate teacher-student relationship stories, because they are so gross!
MNTeacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #87

What is interesting: Pretty much any article/new on education. Current trends, reform, etc. I read pretty much everything related to education.

What kind of teacher news stories would I like to see: Again-pretty much everything, from a wide range of states, and even countries! I love reading about what Finland is doing. I love the stories about girls in Africa and other countries beating the odds for an education.

Thanks for the new board!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

breezey

Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #88

Interesting: feel good stories, current trends

would like to see: uplifting, things other teachers are doing...
breezey is offline   Reply With Quote

Christi508

Imo
Old 07-11-2013, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #89

Interesting is just about anything that affects our profession.
Uninteresting would be .....HMM.
Christi508 is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Teacher News Board
Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #90

Thanks for the new board!

Even though I don't post very often, I do read a lot. As for what I am interested in, I mostly read articles that discuss state and national policy with regard to education. I think there is a dearth of in depth news about laws and policy, and I am very interested.

I also would appreciate a short summary with the link.
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Smartmouth

News
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #91

I'd like to read stories about innovations in education.
Smartmouth is offline   Reply With Quote

April Fools

Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #92

I like reading about new educational trends and positive stories about teacher successes and achievements.
April Fools is offline   Reply With Quote

PTROCKS

Old 07-11-2013, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #93

Interesting stories to me are those that solicit help for teachers and inform about changes in education nationwide. Less interesting stories are those about teachers that have crossed the student/teacher line or can be considered one that downgrades the profession.

What kinds of teacher news stories would you like to see on our brand new Teacher News & Opinion board?

I would like to see stories that focus on things that affect education at the national level and Common Core.
PTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote

g8torteacher

Teacher News & Opinion Board
Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #94

I agree with many others who say they like to hear uplifting news It's always great to hear about the positive ways teachers are shaping the future.

I also want to read about what other schools are doing to implement new educational trends (STEM; Common Core).

Thanks for this board
g8torteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

New Board
Old 07-11-2013, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #95

I like that you have broken down the articles by states when posting them.

Like many of the PP, I like to read articles that are positive and inspiring. I also like to hear what's going on with CC around the country. I like to hear about new trends in education - let me be the first to know!

I also like "bad news" articles, not for the bad news, but because I like to be informed. But I want it to be factual.

I don't like articles about teachers who have committed crimes or having inappropriate relationships with students.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sue too

what I would like to read
Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #96

I agree with many of the other PP. I would like to read positive articles about teaching. Thank you for starting this!
Sue too is offline   Reply With Quote

cjkq

I am interested in reading
Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #97

news about what's going on in states other than mine. Information about trends and innovations would be very helpful.

I agree with a pp that I do not want to hear about inappropriate teacher behavior.

Looking forward to reading the posts on this new board.
cjkq is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Old 07-11-2013, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #98

I like reading stories about teacher and school successes. I also like reading about best practices in education. Stories that show the incredible things students across the country are doing....so we can get ideas for our own school.

I don't like reading stories about teachers and students being inappropriate. I don't like reading articles written by people who don't know a thing about education.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 07-11-2013, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #99

I've never actually been to this board before, but now that I've visited, I think I'll probably scan most of the articles you post.

I generally don't like to read articles that bash teachers or teaching. I hear enough of that elsewhere.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 07-11-2013, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #100

State-specific news is interesting to me - especially when it's about my state but I also like being informed about what is happening in other states. I'm not that interested in reading about scandals.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

News
Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #101

i like reading about the organizations that are trying to change education. I like to hear what is going on in my state but I also like to read about other states so I know what is coming my way. I am interested in reading about teacher evaluations, educational issues and federal issues related to education.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

onion girl

Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #102

I like to read about all of the positive things going on in education. There are many wonderful teachers who are doing great things. I don't like to read about teachers who are in trouble with the law. I also like seeing things from my state.
onion girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Sparkle

Teacher news and opinion
Old 07-11-2013, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #103

Interesting teacher news is stories about teachers doing good in their community, going above and beyond. Stories that make me tear up and inspire.

I would rather not read stories about opinions about how terrible the education system is.

I would like to see articles from other states. It's easy to get wrapped up in our own state's education system. I'd like to see what goes on in other states.
Miss Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote

texasteacher6

Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #104

Interesting - New trends in teaching, teachers that make a huge difference, teachers that go above and beyond

Not - news that is negative to the teaching profession, teaching to the test

See the interesting above
texasteacher6 is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #105

I am happy to see this board and mostly enjoy reading uplifting and inspirational stories about teachers I do not enjoy political stuff that much. Links to the uplifting stories is also nice.

Last edited by rhubarb; 07-11-2013 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: added more
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldenGirl81

Teacher news
Old 07-11-2013, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #106

Things I'd like to read are articles relating to common core, state assessments, and general practices.

Things I wouldn't read are things only relating to one small population.
GoldenGirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote

dhzebra

news board
Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #107

I enjoy reading any articles about teachers and education in U.S, in general.
I do not like the articles about people doing criminal acts, the headline always begins: Teacher Involved In ....
Thank you for sharing new information.
dhzebra is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

News
Old 07-11-2013, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #108

Quote:
Is - Happy articles - where teachers were recognized for something wonderful they did. Teacher of the year, website award, etc... Also, I love to hear about the positive news in teaching - like pay raises, lower student/teacher ratio, etc... I know that's expecting a miracle, but I'd still love to read it if it happened!

Is not - political hooha that makes my brain hurt trying to understand it.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

frazzledtchr

Just found this board
Old 07-11-2013, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #109

I enjoy reading about success and "feel good" stories. I don't like political news. Who has time for that? Would love to see helpful suggestions for implementing common core.
frazzledtchr is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #110

Teacher news stories that I find interesting are those inspirational stories relating the postive impact teachers make inside the classroom as well as in their communities and the world; how teachers from across the country are managing the ever evolving field of teaching; stories that identify current educational events/trends in different states and teachers' opinions of these; entertaining and funny true stories in the world of education; and the common core.
Teacher news stories that I don't want to read are those that are of no real value to us as educators such as articles that criticize teachers as we get enough of that in the news media.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

ATeacherGal

News
Old 07-11-2013, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #111

What's interesting to me on this board includes news about teachers who are making a positive difference as well as news about issues that are affecting all teachers. I'd like to see a mix of both.
ATeacherGal is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinkids04

I Agree
Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #112

I like feel good teacher stories as well - it reminds me why I do what I do. I would also like to read more on safety in schools - I don't feel like that is a big enough focus.

As always I am open to learning to new things and learning what works best in the classroom.
teachinkids04 is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

teacher news
Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #113

What I find interesting: anything that will make me a more effective educator- best practices, changes in standards, technology for classroom, organization techniques, success stories

What I DON'T find interesting: unproductive rants/ complaining without action, stories with political bias, stories that try to persuade teachers to support one particular political group

I would like to see stories that bring our community of educators together for productive discussions, not hate-filled attacks or manufactured expressions of outrage. I would also like to see stories that contain information to inspire and explain effective practices.
shellea is offline   Reply With Quote

uwv465312

Old 07-11-2013, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #114

What I find interesting: uplifting stories about educators, ways to implement common core/state standards, positive impact teachers are making, new creative ideas

What I am not interesting in: negative remarks about teachers written by people who have no idea what is happening in our schools
uwv465312 is offline   Reply With Quote

oriel

news
Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #115

What I like are things that are positive and things that will make me a better teacher.

What I do not like are politics.
oriel is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #116

I like to read educational news that deals with state and national policies and laws. I enjoy reading articles about new trends in education and administration, not that I necessarily think what's new is best, it's still makes for a good read. I like following information that shows educational research, data trends, research based practices, etc.

I do not like to read fluff articles, positive or negative, it is not news.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Megteach

Positive, constructive
Old 07-11-2013, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #117

This is the second post I have read by shellea. I agree with her totally. I appreciate positive articles about topics, i.e., CCSS, that I can apply in my classroom to make my teacher better. I don't have time for the negative. People need to try to figure out a solution instead of all the ranting. Not a very constructive use of energy.

I now have another stop to check out on PT!
Megteach is offline   Reply With Quote

playpower

news
Old 07-11-2013, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #118

I'm going with the majority here... I agree that stories about positive and inspirational teachers are what catch my eye. I do not like to read political posts--there is already a board for that. I'm grateful that there will be a board designed specifically for news and hopefully no political or personal bashing and/or rants.
playpower is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #119

Unfortunately, I don't really care for the political type news stories. I should because they tell what really affects our schools, but I won't read them.

I like stories that honor teachers for the hard work that they do. I also like funny/ridiculous stories. This would include stories of kids getting suspended for gun shaped sandwiches, etc. Even though it isn't very uplifting to education, I enjoy seeing the types of things that some districts make big deals about.

Since this is a News/Opinions board, I think this would be a good place to have adding a poll as an option. Then, we could ask education based questions, and our fellow members could vote.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach25+

Old 07-11-2013, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #120

All teacher news is interesting to me. It would be great to read positive stories and editorials about teachers, as well.

I like the idea of having polls/discussions.

It is always interesting to read about teachers and schools in other states.
Teach25+ is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseweaver

Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #121

When I am reading about education in general I like to peruse articles about well-researched successful educational practices as well as interesting new approaches geared towards helping students to overcome learning difficulties. I know that the politics are important, but, in reality I wold rather use my limited time to move in a positive direction with my teaching.

I do enjoy polls and discussions--they give me a sense of what is happening in education nationwide.

No rants and therapeutic vents, please! Let's think, review, critique (respectfully) and enjoy our journey toward becoming better educators.
mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Candiqueen

Hmm
Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #122

I like to read about a variety of issues that pertain to teaching. Stories that are regional are quite interesting.
Candiqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

wonderful resource
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #123

Pt is such a wonderful resource that perhaps classifying and categorizing news by topic might facilitate things for teachers like myself who get overloaded with all this fabulous info. . Also basic article info on the two major consortiums that are writing the assessments for the CC--Smarter Balance and PAARC. What role do they play in curriculum and what are the states doing to inform teachers about the entire process.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Ifnotnowwhen

Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #124

Interesting......
  1. Resources that promote student engagement
  2. Gathering and analyzing student data to develop/adjust long-range planning
  3. Samples of visual instruction plans (VIPs)
  4. Case Studies/scenarios:Teacher to teacher communication issues
NOT interesting....legislative updates

1. How to read your colleagues quiz and follow-up data
  2. Classroom management styles preference inventory with clarification and follow-up
  3. Document, document, document: What, how, and why
Ifnotnowwhen is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 07-11-2013, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #125

I agree with Candiqueen - that I like to read about a variety of issues that pertain to teaching. Regional stories are good.

Also, it would be nice to hear about how certain states handle grades, vertical alignment, new methods or technology that helps students, and teachers making a difference in the different states and countries.
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

reesespieces

teacher news
Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #126

News items of interest to me: common core resources, positive changes/educational reform, things THAT ARE WORKING for districts/teachers, creative ideas, teachers being honored, etc.

NOT of interest to me: articles that put down teachers (there is enough of that every day), articles that exploit the "bad teachers," and articles that just say everything that's wrong with education today without any solution.
reesespieces is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #127

What is teacher news?
Laws, policies, and rule changes, stories that show education and teachers in a positive light.

What is NOT teacher news?
Teacher bashing articles.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

SwimmerGirl

Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #128

I'm interested in stories that tell about research, innovation, and schools/teachers doing unusual things. I want to be the best teacher I can be, and I find stories about other teachers doing unusual things very inspiring!
SwimmerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote