Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Canoeing or kayaking

>

I ♥ cats

Canoeing or kayaking
Old 08-05-2013, 05:18 AM

I'll admit I've always had a bit of a fear of kayaking because of legs being covered + the potential to flip over = feeling trapped. However, this weekend I saw a FB picture of a local friend in an open kayak. I think I could handle that. I have both a river and large creek nearby and both offer canoe and kayak trips. Is one better or easier to manage than the other? The friend that I saw in the open kayak said it was easier to manage than a canoe. It's been years since I was in any type of small boat like that.

I was thinking this would be a nice thing to do this fall once the weather cools off a bit. Any suggestions or advice?

I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 AM

I think the open kayaks are easier to manage, especially if you are alone. Either would be fun though on an open, slow moving river or lake. Have fun. I would go with you!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

rana712

Kayaks!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:24 AM

I find kayaks far easier to handle than a canoe. Your center of gravity is much lower and it feels less tippy. Also, because you have a double ended paddle, it is simple to keep going in a straight line, or to turn. I prefer to go in a kayak that is a little shorter. It may take a bit more work, but I like the feeling of control. I do not like double kayaks- they seem to have some of the same issues as canoes. Try going on a lake before you try a creek. My husband finds lakes boring, but I love them!
rana712 is online now   Reply With Quote

freckleface

Kayaking
Old 08-05-2013, 05:27 AM

I was scared to death when my sister said I was going to try kayaking on Lake Michigan a couple of summers ago. It was an open kayak, the water was shallow, I figured I couldn't drown in water that I can stand up in! So I tried it and it was so much fun! The hardest part was to keep from going in circles all the time!!! We paddled around for an hour or so in Lake Michigan and I did get out where it was deeper! Try it, you'll like it!!
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 08-05-2013, 06:06 AM

I like kayaks. Even in a closed kayak, they immediately teach you how to get out of it, in case you flip. I think kayaks are easier to manage.

tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

A vote for a kayak
Old 08-05-2013, 06:20 AM

I love kayaks, even the closed kind. I feel like they're much more stable than a canoe. I've flipped a canoe - never flipped a kayak. I even used to go with my cocker spaniel and never felt like we'd tip.

Another huge plus for kayaks over canoes - there's no one else in the boat to tell you you're paddling wrong.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

kayak
Old 08-05-2013, 07:39 AM

I love my open kayak. I bought two kayaks last summer that are very easy to strap to my explorer, and go as often as I can. It is great upper body and core exercise. I have kayaked in the ocean, on lakes, and on a large river with very little current. Go for it!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

Kayaks...
Old 08-05-2013, 07:57 AM

We have been kayaking for several years. My DS even has his own and he was 8 when he started. They are much easier to maneuver than canoes, you can go by yourself and they are easier to transport.

You will love it!
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 AM

Thanks for all the feedback! Sounds like a kayak might be the way to go. I definitely wouldn't go alone!
I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

time4class

another vote for kayak
Old 08-05-2013, 08:56 AM

They are easy to use and you can go in really shallow water. DH and I have had ours for 8 years and ended up selling our canoe because we never used it anymore.

time4class is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret916

I love my kayak!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 AM

For one person, kayak is the way to go. I have the sit-on (not sit-in) kayak and it is fantastic for mostly still or gently moving water.

This is not the kayak you want for rapids though!

Canoes are fun too, but not good for one person and more tippable (unless you get a scanoe with a flat bottom). These are great if you are doing an overnight because you can carry more stuff with you. Or fishing with a large tacklebox.

My sister has a double kayak so she and hubby can take the baby with them. Her boys (6 and 8) have had their own kid-size kayaks for over a year and my mom and I have our own individual ones. I have an 8 ft one so it can fit in my small SUV (big glass sun roof and I can't put a rack on top, so it fits inside).
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

kayak
Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 AM

I have an ocean kayak. It is a sit-on-top, and very easy to handle. It is very stable, and a great platform for snorkeling. I won't go in when there are big waves or heavy wind, but I know others who have no problem with it in those conditions.
I also have a double sit-on-top kayak, but I like a single one better because of the independence.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 08-05-2013, 10:55 AM

Last summer I was told that you're more likely to get wet (I think he meant splashed, not falling in!) in a kayak. Based on that, and the conditions at the time, we went with a canoe.

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I love canoeing! My family had one when I was a kid, so I am super-comfortable paddling. I can't really speak to the learning curve, though, since I don't even remember learning.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote